Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Luluu, thanks for the info on Bentley Bay. That's a pretty scary environment even for a renter. Who knows what services will be discontinued or if units will be foreclosed upon. I may consider buying after leasing for a year, so definitely want to be in a stable building that feels like home.

Zekedad, that's so weird!!! I know someone who lives there whom I visit a few times a year and I NEVER pay for valet. Maybe it's different with owners vs. renters. I'll ask my friend. I actually like that building. I love the marina walk behind it too. It's a just a short walk away from Monty's, one of my favorite haunts.

Never mind ... I had my "Muranos" confused ... my friend lives in the one further south, by the bend, Murano at Portofino.

Charging $25 for guest parking is ridiculous. I could never in a million years have friends or family visit!

Just so you know, (shhh) there is free visitor parking at the Miami Beach Marina. There is also some metered parking outside on Alton and side streets, but not much.

Good luck on your search and do keep us posted.

I don't know if the system has changed, but there now appears to be a sticker/validation system for guests. I can understand the need if there are a lot of absentee owners & rentals. However, the parking staff & front desk were extremely unhelpful (& bordering on unpleasant) on the issue.

I agree with you that the location is very nice & access to the marina/walk is great too. I liked the building the most after Continuum & Portofino, but the parking drama was a little annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by zekedad
    Luluu, thanks for the info on Bentley Bay. That's a pretty scary environment even for a renter. Who knows what services will be discontinued or if units will be foreclosed upon. I may consider buying after leasing for a year, so definitely want to be in a stable building that feels like home.
    Happy to help! My place in Sobe is a second condo for me (I also own in Philly), so Murano Grande, Icon and Continuum were out of my price range for a second place. However, the places that I narrowed in as financially stable and more affordable buildings were Sunset Harbour, Waverly, Yacht Club at Portofino and the Grand Venetian (the latter is on Belle Island, but literally a 10 min walk from Lincoln Road). Do not even bother with the Floridian, Flamingo, and any of the older buildings along West Ave. I do not think that they are what you are seeking.

West Ave has a Whole Foods and Starbucks at 10th, a Publix at 19th, and Lincoln Road is within walking distance if you do not mind a 10-15 min walk. South of Fifth is lovely, as is the new park, and if my budget allowed for it, I would have bought there. But you can definitely get gorgeous direct Bay views, more square footage and access to many conveniences along West Ave.

Finally decided on the Portofino. Although the Continuum has the best amenities (& direct beach access with private attendant), I liked the apartment layouts & views better at the Portofino.

Am in the process of arranging utilities. Someone suggested Atlantic Broadband for telephone/cable/internet. Does anyone have experience with them? The rates seem okay, but wanted to see if people are satisfied with the service quality, etc.

I have Atlantic Broadband and they're fine. As long as you don't mind their really irritating TV commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by zekedad
    Finally decided on the Portofino. Although the Continuum has the best amenities (& direct beach access with private attendant), I liked the apartment layouts & views better at the Portofino.

Am in the process of arranging utilities. Someone suggested Atlantic Broadband for telephone/cable/internet. Does anyone have experience with them? The rates seem okay, but wanted to see if people are satisfied with the service quality, etc.
    You should come to our meet-up on Saturday, 1/23/2010 at 4 PM at Smith and Wollensky's. Its literally outside your backdoor in south point park!

Would love to, but won't be in MB until April 1st. Can you keep me posted on future get togethers?

You bet! Matt Meltzer likes to plan them 2-3 months in advance!

In a condo, you likely do not have a choice for cable providers. For example, my building has a contract with Atlantic Broadband for cable TV and internet, and those services are included in my condo fees.

You can, however, get a DirectTV dish, which I know some people have in my building. You get a mini satellite receiver to put on your balcony.

Atlantic Broadband is OK at best. Their cable boxes and modems are all old, recycled equipment. I had to get one of my boxes changed out twice because the sound and volume were freezing. The waiting times for service calls are huge, 4-hour windows, which stinks too when you are trying to plan your day.

It used to be that only Atlantic Broadband provided cable service for South Beach, but I just typed in my old address at Comcast and services/products available came up, so that may mean Comcast is servicing the beach now. Not sure.

I've used ABB for over 10 years on the beach and South Miami and never really had much to complain about. I used to pay for the highest speed service and it was smokin' ... most outages usually have to do with something major going on in the grid elsewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12