Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I PM'd the link to fred when he wrote that, I didn't want to just 'out' Matt, not that he could care less! It's in his profile after all :lol:

Thanks Guys!

Matt's characterization of West Dade as "trashy" is spot on. We moved from West Kendall to the Gables last year and couldn't be happier. The concentration of riffraff there is mindboggling but sadly, because that area has become the population center of Miami Dade, is representative of typical Miamians. As a lifelong resident of Cuban descent whose friends and lovers hail from all points Latin American, the consensus seems to be that we are the catch basin for the some of the best but mostly the worst that part of the world has to offer. In truth the social crisis--and I consider what we daily endure here to be a social crisis--has more to do with poverty and ignorance than anything else. Our politicians have exploited the immigrant story when it suits them but have done little to nothing to help these folks transition to mainstrain American culture.

ORL, I highly recommend you try other parts of town before passing too harsh judgment. Also, have a local who likes the place show you around. There is a lot of great stuff going on which you can find, if you just look.

jefe, thank you and you are dead on. There are a good number of Hispanic folks in Miami who are educated, classy, Enlgish speaking, etc. But sadly, I think you are outnumbered by the trash. Not even sure how to solve that problem.

WD is White Dade, the blog I used to write that was sort of my start in any sort of writing. Course I never got paid for that.

www.whitedade.blogspot.com.

Hours of entertainment there.

Wait, Matt, YOU are White Dade??? LMAO!

I just sent you an invite to the Blogup, do you still check that email address?

Miami is a city of immigrants. A working class city. A poor city.

What may come across as uneducated, trashy people are really hard-working people who are starting new lives in a new country in order to give their children opportunities they never had.

Maybe they don't have the privilege of being educated and affluent. Maybe they are not as refined as your white suburban folks in other parts of the country.

And maybe they don't meet your language criteria.

But they are the ones who keep this city running for better or worse. They are the ones serving your food and pouring your drinks and cleaning your streets and stocking your grocery shelves and mowing your lawns.

They are the ones who have put more sweat and blood into this city than many of the people on this thread.

Carlos,

The "immigrants" also run the city and it's policies. They also make up the majority of the professional population.

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    Carlos,

The "immigrants" also run the city and it's policies. They also make up the majority of the professional population.
    Well that's not a secret. Anybody who is interested in moving down here can find that out with a few mouse clicks.

So why the sudden shock when people move down here and discover this is not exactly cookie-cutter America?

Miami is not a poor city! Walk by Casa Tua and look at the cars parked there. It has the richest zipcode in the country!

I knew Miami had a large Spanish population when I moved. In your post you make it sound like they're a lower class, and I just don't think that's the case.

My grandmother--a Cuban immigrant-- sewed designer swimsuits in a Hialeah factory for decades, Carlos, so spare me the defensive attitude. She constantly reminded us that one needn't have money in order to have class. I've watched a steady and rapid erosion of common decency in this city, and the epicenter of some pretty horrific behavior is in what appear to be middle class--note I didn't say working class (Hialeah is surprisingly charming)--neighborhoods where an ugly strain of the American dream has taken root. Sungal aptly notes that the Hispanic political class shouldn't escape criticism here as they often set the tone. Is it any wonder that in every metric of civic health, from charitable giving to road rage, our "community" ranks at or near the bottom? There is a palpable "screw you!" attitude among too many of us.

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by ORLtoMIA
    But let me ask you. If the guy you are dating did not throw money around and did not drive a Mercedes, would you be going out with him now?
    In answer to your question Carlos, I absolutely would have gone out with him if he didn't drive a Mercedes. I would actually have more respect for him if he didn't because he obviously is bad with money, considering he is over 35 has a pretty decent job, rents an effciency, yet has that expensive car, not to mention Air Jordan shoes in just about every color of the rainbow.

However, that is irrelevant now as we are no longer seeing each other. He turned out to be a total freak. I won't elaborate too much but when I guy wants to choke you in bed and can't even afford dinner beforehand, it's time to move on.

One thing I have also come to realize about my new native Miami friends (not to offend anyone, I know these are blanket statements and there are exceptions)is that I get the feeling that they haven't left Miami...I dunno....EVER. My 37 year old date actually asked me if we had "this type of music" in Orlando when we were listening an FM hip-hop station. I'm like "Um yeah Clear Channel is basically the same in any city where most people still have their teeth.

Matt I have read a lot of your posts and articles on here. Before I moved here I read a lot of your stuff and just thought maybe you were an angry exaggerating biggot, but I find that just about everything you write is TOTALLY TRUE. I have been here about three months and while its been fun, I doubt I'll be staying here. I read your dating artile and it was great. From the female perspective,just finding a decent guy to date, has proven relatively impossible. Not to toot my own horn but I have been told once or twice that I "Have it going on" but the guys I've met down here seem to all

1. Have visible tattoos

2. Can't tell you their profession in exact words ie. They "have their own business" are "in promotions" etc.

3. Balk at the very idea of doing anything that doesn't involve marijuana.

4. Have been arrested for fighting

I am actually sitting here alone writing this on a Saturday night because I am getting so sick of it. I am actually beginning to appreciate the clean cut albeit boring guys in Tampa and Orlando.

Also, I NEVER thought that I would become one of those "This is America, speak American" type of people, but it is actually pretty ridiculous that I can go to Publix near FIU and not hear ONE WORD of English. I am a black girl who grew up in white suburbia, yet I have never felt more like an outsider in my life. Anywho, I know this is getting long...just needed to vent.
    please don't be offended by this but guys like that are everywhere not just in miami, you obviously grew up very sheltered.
    The hood rich thing exist everywhere at least in the big cities i have lived in, and half of ny doesn't speak english either i have lived there long enough, also you are mad because the guy choked you in bed and couldn't afford dinner, but you let him!! You went to bed with him even tho he had no money for dinner or whatever else went wrong, so you can't get mad at the guy. you can find guys like that EVERYWHERE not just in miami.

You are a sweetheart and you grew up in the suburbs that is why you're surprised it's not miami, this is life in a big city and certain guys will do whatever you let them get away with. Having sex without even paying for your dinner?? If that is not what you are looking for you should have certainly not ended up in his bed.

Quote Originally Posted by ORLtoMIA
    I am actually sitting here alone writing this on a Saturday night because I am getting so sick of it. I am actually beginning to appreciate the clean cut albeit boring guys in Tampa and Orlando.
    Well, have you tried out Ft. Lauderdale / Coral Gables? Perhaps some less tattoos... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller
    ...But I do agree that if a man wants to choke you in bed, he should at least buy you dinner first.
    Hoho! This one made Laugh Out Loud. :D

The main thing that bothers me about this thread is the number of times I did buy dinner for a woman only for her not to sleep with me.

And I am not even into choking.

Maybe I should become a promoter or something.

lol, i think the best way to find a decent male/female is not sleeping with them for a couple of weeks if not months. If the hood richness wasnt a red flag the rainbow or Jordans should of been. Im from a small town in Wisconsin and you can see that there too. I dont think thats just Miami. That dude was just a straight up loser.

Carlos, maybe you took her to the wrong restaurant. lol

Eduardo, with all due respect, you are an idiot (and I mean that in the nicest possible way). F**k first, ask questions later. Otherwise, the guy is going to pretend to be whatever he thinks the girls wants to get into her pants. You only get to know a guy once you've f-ed him.

And Carlos, working class and trashy are totally different things. It's like jefe said, you don't need to have money to have class. But hood rich morons spending all their money on rims and living at home? That's trashy. And that's a lot of West Dade.

Hi ORL, I'm late to this thread but I wanted to ask - are you living in South Miami proper or do you just mean the area near FIU? I'm a bit confused.

You mention you are going to graduate school -- are your colleagues "hood rich" people? That also surprises me too. Usually the intellectual circles in this city at the graduate school level don't reflect that way of life.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    Hi ORL, I'm late to this thread but I wanted to ask - are you living in South Miami proper or do you just mean the area near FIU? I'm a bit confused.

You mention you are going to graduate school -- are your colleagues "hood rich" people? That also surprises me too. Usually the intellectual circles in this city at the graduate school level don't reflect that way of life.

I live in South Miami proper but I have met people who live in the FIU area. And yes, quite a few of my colleagues have the "ghetto mentality". As a matter of fact the guy that drove the mercedes yet lived in the efficiency is an FIU engineering school graduate.

Also, just to clarify, I waited a few weeks before I slept with the guy. We later had a conversation in which he expressed his kinkiness. Choking was just the tip of the iceburg, I mean he was into some unspeakable kink. I was just like, no way, no how. When I met him, he seemed nice enough, took me out, pretended to throw money around like it was no big deal. Then as he got more comfortable, it was literally like, Suprise! Despite the Mercedes I am LITERALLY flat broke so we will no longer be leaving my couch, oh and BTW regular sex doesn't do it for me ,I want to choke you, spit in your face and perform other disgusting acts during sex, then afterwards I expect my woman to cook for me and rub my feet. Is it any wonder this guy is 37 and single lol.

I know this probably isn't completely typical of guys in Miami but there seems to be a theme of pretending to be something your not and then SUPRISE! I mean it is just so uncessessary, These guys will brag about their many connections, the fact that they used to play major league whatever, they own a business in some foreign country...and other obvious lies. WHY!!! I've met men in Brickell, the Gables, the Beach....and it ALWAYS seems to be some hussler. Where are all of the honest hard working accountants lol. Matt isn't kidding when he talks about the lack of the young professional crowd lol. I am originally from NY and sure you have your ghetto types but something is definately different with the Miami set.

Also define "West Dade", oudl that be considered the FIU area?

Wow Dazy,

I thought I had bad dates. A cheapie Euro or a cute guy who stinks at texting back seem like a catch after your story! I can't believe you dated that guy too. What a disgusting jerk..I guess stay away from the guys in the fancy cars and flashy sneakers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dazy4509
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles

I live in South Miami proper but I have met people who live in the FIU area. And yes, quite a few of my colleagues have the "ghetto mentality". As a matter of fact the guy that drove the mercedes yet lived in the efficiency is an FIU engineering school graduate.

Also, just to clarify, I waited a few weeks before I slept with the guy. We later had a conversation in which he expressed his kinkiness. Choking was just the tip of the iceburg, I mean he was into some unspeakable kink. I was just like, no way, no how. When I met him, he seemed nice enough, took me out, pretended to throw money around like it was no big deal. Then as he got more comfortable, it was literally like, Suprise! Despite the Mercedes I am LITERALLY flat broke so we will no longer be leaving my couch, oh and BTW regular sex doesn't do it for me ,I want to choke you, spit in your face and perform other disgusting acts during sex, then afterwards I expect my woman to cook for me and rub my feet. Is it any wonder this guy is 37 and single lol.

I know this probably isn't completely typical of guys in Miami but there seems to be a theme of pretending to be something your not and then SUPRISE! I mean it is just so uncessessary, These guys will brag about their many connections, the fact that they used to play major league whatever, they own a business in some foreign country...and other obvious lies. WHY!!! I've met men in Brickell, the Gables, the Beach....and it ALWAYS seems to be some hussler. Where are all of the honest hard working accountants lol. Matt isn't kidding when he talks about the lack of the young professional crowd lol. I am originally from NY and sure you have your ghetto types but something is definately different with the Miami set.

Also define "West Dade", oudl that be considered the FIU area?
    Uh.. Honest hard working accountant living in Brickell right here! lol!

I love to get the women's prospective on dating guys in Miami. It seems like the women have it just as difficult as the guys in finding someone decent. I have given up in Miami and am basically going out of state to find a decent girl. I think a lot of it has to do with me not being Latin and not waering my shirt half unbuttoned. Matt, I know a while back you mentioned that girls would love to have a gringo guy like me, but I just don't appeal to them at all, and believe me I tried. I'm no millionare trust fund baby, but I work hard and I live quite comfortably. With all of the beautiful women down here, it's incredibly difficult to find and date a decent girl much less talk to one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast