Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Here is a Craigslist search for Miami-Dade County (apt/housing) 3 bedroom with a cap of $1600.

http://miami.craigslist.org/search/apa/mdc?query="coral+gables"+home&catAbbreviation=apa& minAsk=min&maxAsk=1600&bedrooms=3

It looks like there are a few selections near Coral Gables in that price range. Most of what I see is in Kendall. Doral and Fountainbleu are close to FIU.

I think in your case you might have have to compromise commuting distance over fun, trendy location. But you might look into neighborhoods just west of Coral Gables to put you a little closer to FIU.

New User

Thanks Maria, I think I'm gonna try neighborhoods just west of Coral Gables. We don't need to be right in the middle of the action, but if we could be within 10 minutes or so that would be great.
    Thanks again,
    Sean

Whatever you do, do NOT move to Kendall. Do NOT. It's not dangerous or dirty or anything, but traffic is immesurably bad and it is boring as hell. Like all the inconveniences of urban life in Miami combined with all the dullness of the suburbs. You are better off getting less in a different area.

Similar to Kendall, Doral is pretty boring and dull, though safe and nice. Look in the area exactly east of FIU campus, which is OK and where many students reside. West Gables is slightly more affordable and so are the areas close to SW 8th St. Drive around a lot first to get a good feel.

New User

Thank you Matt & Mario, that's what I'm looking for! Several people have told me look in Kendall and Doral but just looking at it on google maps it looks boring as hell and from where all the fun stuff is. Thank you for this honest info, I'll be looking at West Gables. Any other places I need to stay the hell away from, or should focus on?
    Sean

Sean, I understand what Matt and Mario are saying ... but again, you will have to compromise commute with coolness. Kendall and Doral are not *that* bad, but they're definitely closer to FIU and the major expressways you'll need to do business all over the county. You also have a budget limit and some very specific housing needs that will be quite impossible to find in Brickell and Miami Beach, for example. If you look at that Craigslist link I sent you, you will see that the majority of 3 bedroom + garage rentals are not in the trendier and fun areas. Again, it's all a compromise. I think you're going to have to do some very intense searching to get everything you want in Miami.

New User

Thanks Maria, I read you... I'm going to have to try to find something "inbetween". Hopefully I can find something just west of Coral Gables that will fit my budget. I'm more so willing to sacrifice size over location. I just sold my 2000 sq ft house that was unbelievably nice (pool, spa, etc) but it was way out in the suburbs with a 40 minute ride to get downtown. It sounded like my dream home when I bought it but soon after I got really really borred. I spent the next 3 years borred out of my mind until finally selling it! I'm never doing that again. As long as the place is decent I'd way rather take location over size. (Its just the 2 of us anyway) Ideally I'd love a 1400 sq ft 3/2 with garage within a 10 minute drive of Coral Gables if possible for around $1600 a month, but we'll see how far that $1600 actually will go. By the way I do appreciate you taking the time to look at Craigslist for me. I'm gonna have to meet up with a realtor on the 20th to show me what I can get.
    Is it nice just west of Coral Gables? Its hard trying to learn a city over the computer, but you guys are incrediably nice to help out like this!
    Sean

Just west of Coral Gables is not so bad. It is largely residential. 8th street is very commercial. Coral Way is not so much until you get past 62nd Avenue.

Also, Coral Gables is really huge. It stretches from 8th street all the way down to Old Cutler. The area just west of the university is "South Miami" -- between Miller and Bird Road (between 57th and 72nd avenue) -- might be a good option for you. It's all single family homes there.

South Miami is a very cool place. While suburban, it has movies, bars, restaurants and what not. If you live close to there you won't find yourself in some distant suburb too far away from the cool stuff. And a leisurely drive to the beach from this area on the weekends is no more than 20 minutes.

New User

Once again, thank you Maria! I'll look at south Miami also. I appreciate it. Any other locations come to mind please let me know.
    Sean

Just west of the Gables is nice in the north part of CG, or way down south where Pinecrest (another pricey area) ia right next to it. But by UM and just north of there is a really bad seciton of South Miami. So just be aware of that. Any part of South Miami south (or east) or US-1 is good. But that little section there is real sketchy.

The area Matt is referring to is west of sw 57th avenue in between US1 and Miller Road up to roughly 62nd avenue. Half of it is industrial/warehouses and the other part somewhat ghetto with section 8 housing.

It's doubtful anyone would even find a place to rent there. But everything surrounding that area is fine.

Red Road (57th avenue) itself is fine. In fact, there is a huge new rental apartment complex there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles
    The area Matt is referring to is west of sw 57th avenue in between US1 and Miller Road up to roughly 62nd avenue. Half of it is industrial/warehouses and the other part somewhat ghetto with section 8 housing.

It's doubtful anyone would even find a place to rent there. But everything surrounding that area is fine.

Red Road (57th avenue) itself is fine. In fact, there is a huge new rental apartment complex there.
    I went to South Miami High and that area is known as "The Creek".

Quote Originally Posted by seanhynds
    Thanks Maria, I read you... I'm going to have to try to find something "inbetween". Hopefully I can find something just west of Coral Gables that will fit my budget. I'm more so willing to sacrifice size over location. I just sold my 2000 sq ft house that was unbelievably nice (pool, spa, etc) but it was way out in the suburbs with a 40 minute ride to get downtown. It sounded like my dream home when I bought it but soon after I got really really borred. I spent the next 3 years borred out of my mind until finally selling it! I'm never doing that again. As long as the place is decent I'd way rather take location over size. (Its just the 2 of us anyway) Ideally I'd love a 1400 sq ft 3/2 with garage within a 10 minute drive of Coral Gables if possible for around $1600 a month, but we'll see how far that $1600 actually will go. By the way I do appreciate you taking the time to look at Craigslist for me. I'm gonna have to meet up with a realtor on the 20th to show me what I can get.
    Is it nice just west of Coral Gables? Its hard trying to learn a city over the computer, but you guys are incrediably nice to help out like this!
    Sean
    Hey Sean,

A guy I used to date lives in Coral Gables, in a building called Gables Views. He has a 2bed/2bath with a balcony and garage parking for $1550. The inside has a nice layout and newer appliances. The building has a pool..It's not right on Miracle Mile.. I just asked him about three beds and he's not sure if they exist in the building..

Personally, I like to compromise on space for a nicer place in a better location.

Hope this helps!

Sean, I realize you are set on an actual home with a garage, but a huge 3 bedroom with terrace and FREE parking is going for $1800 just by Dadeland, which is a five minute drive from South Miami/south Coral Gables.

I'm certain you could find something in your price range, but not so sure it would be single-family home. There are more apartments than homes to rent in this area.

New User

Maria, (once again thanks). I'd be open to something like you are describing as long as it has a very safe lockable storage unit. The problem is that we have too many toys and hobbys. We're both triathletes and IronMan competitors so we both have carbon fiber race bikes worth a couple grand. We both have mountain bikes. We both have scuba gear. Fishing rods. Spear fishing guns. Etc... This is why we feel the need for a garage. Too many toys to keep in a condo. The company I just signed a contract with is being generous enough to pay for higher end rent) I just don't want to be stupid and over pay for anything. I'd rather save it then spend it. Do any of these buildings come with locking storage units?

Excellent point, Sean. And wow -- what an active lifestyle! :-) I hear ya on this as I used to do a lot of fishing and it was no fun having reel, rod, tackle & boat engine oil all in the living room.

I'm not aware of any apartments that come with storage units right off the top of my head. They're not particularly common, though there could be exceptions. A spare bedroom could also double as a storage space.

I know it's not as convenient, but there are also many storage places in Miami. Actually in South Miami alone I can think of three, all within a mile of each other.

Hey, Have you read Matt's articles about competing down here? Under learning..He just did the half -marathon.

Some high rise buildings do come with gated storage units, sometimes in different sizes. My building in NJ had that. They weren't huge, but you could store bikes, toys, and maybe some holiday decorations. They went for $70 per month..

Just tell your Realtor to show you places with storage lockers..Or go with a large townhouse.

I think apt units with storage may be more common in the northeast. Not the case in Miami.

The article sungal is referring to is here. Our forum member/contributor Matt Meltzer is into marathons.

By the way, there is tons of great fishing to be done here in South Florida! We could start a new thread about that.

New User

I know, I can't wait! Plus the diving is awesome down there. I'm used to having to drive from Tampa to Key Largo for good diving (6 hours). I'll be an hour and a half away in Miami!
    And yup, I know about the Marathons and stuff down there. I'll be doing the Miami Man Triathlon there next year. No more nasty Gulf of Mexico for us, we get a real ocean now!

sean, I hear ya on the bikes. And people in Miamni looooooove to steal shit. Seriosuly, I locked my bike to a radiator for a year.

You guys do IMFL this weekend? It was my first Ironman. Good times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast