Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

If you don't lock up your stuff in the apartment it is gone in Miami. You definitely need a garage for all your 'toys'!

New User

Matt, you just did IM last week? How was it? I did IM Florida 2008 (last Nov 1'st). I basically took this entire year off of competing after the the busy season I had last year (I got burnt out). How did you do? I finished in 12:10, I finished the bike an hour faster than I expected and the run an hour slower! You never know what's gonna happen to you in an IronMan, you just roll with the punches and keep putting 1 foot in front of another. I'll do another one some day, but I definately didn't have the urge to train like that 2 years in a row!

Now, I know I keep asking about Coral Gables but someone I work with just suggested going north but stay close to the Turn Pike. Any ideas? If I live towards North Miami Beach or Aventura will it be a rediculous commute for Amanda to get to FIU? (FIU SOUTH CAMPUS, basically the turnpike & 41)
    My last day of work is only 1 week away before I get to come down to find a place, I'm getting so excited.

Hi Sean, if you live north near the turnpike it wouldn't be so bad, so her commute would be north-south. Actually, it would be the 821, which is the Homestead Extension of the Turnpike.

But North Miami Beach and Aventura are way east. The turnpike technically goes north from the Golden Glades interchange.

She would have to take the city streets to the Golden Glades (lots of lights), or take city streets to I95 then the Golden Glades. Then she'd have take 826 west and then south and go west on 836, which would then hook her up on the 821. She could also take the 826 south to 8th street and turn west, but she'd be dealing with city streets there.

Or she could take I95 to 836.

To get on the 821 from further north, she would have to actually go north before going south, which doesn't make any sense. And actually in any of the routes described above, she'd only be on the Homestead extension for very little.

This is a heck of a lot of expressways to deal with. It wouldn't be so bad late at night or very early in the am, but with traffic, not so much.

Check this Google map. Point A is the Golden Glades, which is near NMB and Aventura. You'll see what I mean.

New User

Maria, wow you are detail orientated aren't you?... Ok, so if I'm understanding you correctly I don't want to be as far east as Aventura or North Miami Beach because of drive time. What little areas are close enough to 821 for us to live in. Of course we still wanna be close to restaurants and night life. Miama Gardens?
    Thanks again Maria, I know you are putting a lot of time and effort into your responces and I really appreciate it.

Ah, you beat me by 45 minutes. 12:55. I was actually at least year's race signing up for 2009. It was awesome, but I will have an article up on here this week with more detail on the Ironman..

Yeah, I biked and swam faster than I thought, but despite already being a slow runner, I ran REALLY slow. Negative split the marathon ,actually.

Anyway, hope to see you on the Miami Tri circuit next Spring. We have a LOT of great races down here, and you can't beat the training conditions.

Matt, it would be great if you started a new topic thread about marathons.

New User

Matt, I just saw your splits from IM on Athlinks.com and you did great. Check out that website if you have not, it automatically keeps all of your race results for everything even if you have never been on it. Tri's Marathons, etc... So how bad did it suck turning left when you were 13.1 miles into the run to take your second lap? I would have killed somebody to have skipped that second lap and gone into the finishing shoot. That's where the real pain starts huh? Are you still hobbling around? It took me a month to recooperate!
    As for my rental search, our realtor in Miami called me today and claims to have a 3/2 townhome with garage in Coral Gables for $1600. Hopefully he's not bullshitting me. I'm excited, we'll be in Miami by Friday night.
    Sean

Nah, it didn't suck that bad. My friends were tailgating in front of our condo, which wasn't far from the turnaround, so it was kinda motivating. Running through St. Andrew's Park in the dark around mile 20? That sucked.

I'm feeling ok now. Doing a half marathon in Micanoopy tomorrow morning. We'll see how that goes.

Sean, that's great. That townhouse could be on the periphery of CG, but who knows? Let us know how it goes!

New User

Hey guys, our realtor just sent me a list of small houses we're looking at this weekend.
    These are all supposedly in Coral Gables.
    These are all ranging from $1600 - $1800 a month... More than I wanted to spend but I'd love to be in a fun area for a change.
    Do any of these stand out as really good or really bad areas?
    All but 1 are single family homes.
    600 block of Bird st
    2900 block of Bird (town home community)
    1200 block of Genoa
    200 block of Santander
    2900 block of Dixie (Duplex)
    6300 block of SW 39 TE

THANKS YALL!!!
    Sean

Hey Sean! Ok, I'm just typing in the number and the named street - I assume that will work.

600 Bird Road - great area! Not walking distance to the fun stuff, but very close. Bird Road is a little noisy and busy, but it's an excellent location.

2900 Bird Road - that's actually Coconut Grove. Good location too. Very close to the fun stuff in the Grove, you could almost walk if you're active. There is plenty of shopping nearby and it's very close to the local highway, minutes from Brickell, Gables and Key Biscayne. Again, good spot. It's far enough from the sketchy area of the Grove.

1200 Genoa -- this is a very residential area, not walking distance to downtown Coral Gables, but it's fine. Lots of pretty, tree-lined streets. It's close to 8th street.

200 Santander -- this is VERY close to downtown Coral Gables. Walkable, for sure. It's a little more mixed commercial, but a good spot as well.

2900 Dixie Highway -- This is actually Coconut Grove. I'm not thrilled about this location. Funny, I don't even remember there being houses there and I drive by all the time! It's very commercial in that area but there are some homes that are walled off. I would never want to live on Dixie Hwy, honestly. You'd have the sound of the metrorail going by. However, you should still check it out, because you don't know if the duplex is facing the other way and it could be a really good property.

6300 SW 39 TERRACE - this is not Coral Gables but close to it. I'm not so familiar with this area but it seems ok. It's close to Bird Road, the Gables and a lot of convenient shopping nearby.

So in conclusion - they all seem like solid places. I think you'll have some really good stuff to choose from. I guess it also depends on the condition of each house and what not. I hope your realtor will give you the lay of the land and show you what's close to each house. All of them are within easy driving distance from each other, actually.

Good luck!

New User

You're awesome Maria! I'm so happy to hear this! I can't wait to see these places this weekend, I'll let you know where we end up signing our lease.
    Thanks again so much fo all your help, I wish there was some way we could get you back.
    Sean Hynds

My pleasure, Sean! No worries! :-)

By the way, I drove by 29th and Dixie last night, there are definitely NO duplexes there, which is why I thought that was a weird address in the first place. It's all apartment buildings. It could be behind Dixie Highway though, on either side, that your realtor is referring to.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123