Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Tipping for valet parking at condo building

Hello,

My apartment that I am renting at the Roney comes includes free valet parking, which the owner of my condo presumably pays for in his condo fees. My question is... should I be tipping the valet guys? If so, how much? How often? What's the protocol here? I will be accessing my car maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Any advice?

Thanks,
    ZB

You should tip, since the maintenance pays their salary but they work in a position where I'm guessing tips make up the majority of their salary.

How much depends how expensive your car is..They expect more for a shiny new Jag versus a beat up Hyundai. They'll get to know you and the more you tip, the faster they'll get your car, maybe wipe the windshield after they park it, and turn the AC on when they bring it out. This is from a girl who rarely used her valet key though...

My building recently installed a second barrier arm in front of the parking structure entrance. Apparently, some tenants and perhaps friends trailing them, rush the second car through before the gate shuts down and I'm sure on many occasions have hit the gate and have caused damage. Sometimes there as many as four cars lined up waiting to go through the process. Eventually the board is going to have to go back to one arm barrier because everyone is bitching big time. Having said that, I have been using valet in my old building more often. We have a couple of cool argentine valets. While I go check the mail, all our stuff is already in the condo. The full day valet service is $5. If I'm just checking in, I'll give them a 200 % tip. If I'm going out, I open the key locker and help myself to our own cars. They frown on it, but won't say anything.

I always ask my guest as they leave if they need a couple of bucks to take care of the guys, just to give them a hint. I'd say $2-3 per pop. What you might want to check if there are any owners that have a spare parking spot to rent. We get $60 a month for ours in Brickell Key. If your building is in sobe, I'm sure you're looking at more.

i just moved to the decoplage and have the same situation as zbock. i usually just givem a buck evertime i seem unless they help me take stuff up to my place. Im a cheap @ss and kinda sucks but at the same time i'll be makin my bread of of tips so i dont every not givem any thing. However if you think about it if you take your car out 2 to 3 times a day that adds up fast in a month. $60-120 in a month. I guess i need to just start walkin every where if i really wanna be frugal

Pezlo, I totally agree on that one! One is already *paying* for that parking indirectly. I know no one wants to be a cheap @ss but you're right, it adds up. I would just come up with a tipping budget that I could work with and spread it out over the month accordingly. Paying a buck every time you need your car sucks. I would be broke by now if I lived in such a condo!

I understand that guests should tip, but residents should probably get some slack. And think about it ... there is no REAL need for residents to have valet. Why? If there's a space for your car, why does someone else have to park it? And on top of that, you are inconvenienced by having to wait to get your car. It's ridiculous! Resident valet parking would be a total deal breaker for me in any building, I don't care how fabulous the apartment would be.

My ex boyfriend's building on Millionaire's Row offered valet parking for visitors, but residents had their own spaces and would park their own cars. There is no real reason why other condos on the beach can't follow suit. And if they're parking your car god knows where, that is also another tremendous inconvenience. What if you have an emergency and need your car stat?

I also have an issue with condos charging visitors exorbitant fees to park. It should be no more than you would pay at a meter.

The reason most buildings have to do valet-only is because the garage is not big enough for all the cars. So most of those cars are double and triple stacked inside the garage.

I would never ever think of moving into a valet-only building. That sounds like torture every time you want to drive!