Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Well if you're neighbors are not too concerned with noise, then why not throw a party and invite the whole Miami Beach 411 crew?

If its any comfort, maybe you'll become immune to the noise, kind of like the people who live by airports do.

I used to live by railroad tracks in Dublin that had loud trains coming at all times of the night, but after a while, it just became background noise.

Preferred Member

yeah you never know i might just get used to it! and a party might just happen in the near future!

Quote Originally Posted by jasmin
    yeah you never know i might just get used to it! and a party might just happen in the near future!
    Now you're talking like a Miami girl where before you were talking like an uptight Chicago girl.

I totally understand your frustration but I'm sure you'll eventually get to the point where you'll just naturally tune the noises out.

In the mean time, by the ear plugs.

And start enjoying Miami because you've been talking about it for so long.

Sungal, their floor is carpeted, except for the bathroom and kitchen areas, and there is nothing in the lease about carpeting. We have a quiet time clause between 10 pm and 10 am in which we're not supposed to play TVs, stereos, etc, but other than that, nada. The problem is that even with the carpeting you still hear every footstep, and it makes a horrible squeaking noise and things pop in the wall, which is annoying even in the daytime. And there is no quiet way to wear boots and shoes with wooden heels. If you put a piece of carpet over a hammer, it still makes a muffled noise...

It's this 40's construction. In the 60s and 70s people began to use better soundproofing materials. In Miami Beach, though, thanks to hurricanes, most of these older Deco buildings have concrete between the floors, which keeps things a lot quieter. But here in San Diego, there are lots of neighborhoods with craftsman cottages in front and mini-apartment complexes in the back yard -- like back in the 40's, every homeowner decided to fill their back yard area with multi-unit rentals in order to pay their taxes or something!

And Carlos, yeah, come on out and we'll have a bit MB411 hoedown!

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller
    Now you're talking like a Miami girl where before you were talking like an uptight Chicago girl.

I totally understand your frustration but I'm sure you'll eventually get to the point where you'll just naturally tune the noises out.

carlos youre so mean haha i am enjoying miami but after all the excitement i need to come home and sleep, and you called me a chicago girl lol im offended i guess my ny ways are gone and i adapted to the midwest way of things lol

Jasmin, I think you could argue that the apartment is "unliveable" and have good cause to break the lease. If it's affecting your health, it's just as bad as being surrounded by mold or bugs.

Send your landlord a certified letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller

carlos youre so mean haha i am enjoying miami but after all the excitement i need to come home and sleep, and you called me a chicago girl lol im offended i guess my ny ways are gone and i adapted to the midwest way of things lol
    I'm just messing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    And there is no quiet way to wear boots and shoes with wooden heels. If you put a piece of carpet over a hammer, it still makes a muffled noise...
    Well, I guess you just have to ask them to take their shoes off in a really nice way. Just say you hear every step they take. They'll feel guilty walking around in shoes knowing it's disturbing you. If that does not work, what about getting them super comfy slippers for the holidys?

I don't have noise issues, but my apartment has it's own set of problems.

Noise can travel horizontally in buildings. Even those with concrete. And in Doug's case (we have two different cases in this thread here), it's even worse.

So it could be you're neighbor upstairs whose wearing noisy shoes (which is the most obvious), but it could also be a neighbor that's caticorner or even next to you. You basically have to ask everyone in the building to take their shoes off, Indian style!

This is the case in my building. One day, someone was playing the TV very loudly. But it wasn't the guy above me, but the one next to guy above me. Or construction that goes on in an apartment three doors away on the first floor can be heard like it's going on right upstairs on the second floor (I live in a two-story building.) There is a woman who walks in clunky shoes around 5 am and she lives *across* from my apartment.

And soundproofing does not really work. In my former apartment, my upstairs neighbor had her floor soundproofed and I could still hear her dog running back and forth in the apartment. This building was made of solid concrete. The people who lived on the top floor suffered because of the roof ceiling units.

Luckily noises don't bother me so much but this is what you have to deal with in buildings. You should not however, be hearing tons of noises caused by mechanical stuff in the building, esp. something completely new in construction.

That's true, Maria, I once had a downstairs neighbor who would make the building reverberate when she walked around! Ideally, I'd prefer a little cottage or bungalow. There are a lot of them in Hollywood and Dania, I know.

I don't have noise issues but:

1. I have lots of trees outside the windows which makes for pretty views, but very little light.

2. No clock on the microwave and no cable box, so no clue what time it is in the kitchen and livingroom.

3. The outside door is too short and catepiller/worm creatures crawl in and hang out inside on the stairs. So, I have to pick up the dog so none attach to her when we go in and out. And somehow one even made it into my apartment!! I feel like I can't complain about this since I'm sure the door's been like that for a while.

4. I've had red ants (thanks to windex the problem is solved), mosquitos, and tiny insects and other scary bugs..I see a new insect every day that I've never seen before!! I think it's because of all the trees, older screens, and people keeping windows open.

5. I live on takeout and cereal since I'm too scared to make food in the kitchen. Usually I just throw together a salad, but I don't want to keep food on the counter for more than one minute. I know I sound ridiculous. Tonight I think I'll make something and as soon as I'm done with each ingredient I'll put it away. It's all because I saw a creepy crawler running across the counter.

I'm used to making a big mess in the kitchen and cleaning up after I eat..after this I want to live in new construction.

I'm just annoyed because I was so careful when looking at apartments to check under the sink for raid. There was no raid here when I checked, but after I told the landlord about the red ants, he gave me a can of Raid and and roach spray. :-/

Brand new construction or gut renovated buidings are the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    Brand new construction or gut renovated buidings are the way to go.
    But those are not easy to find in South Beach.

I'd take all those issues over noise. Disturbed sleep is one of the most stressful things ever. Having lived like that for months when I moved here I'd take bugs and no light over noise every time.

Sungal, did you try bombing the apartment before moving in?

I'm a good sleeper so I'd rather have the noise.

The building was tented one year ago for palmetto bugs. I didn't 'bomb' the place...
    Like I said, I just see a random, tiny insect every now and then...I don't think there's a spray for that. I'm not really scared of the random, small things..It just makes me nervous that if they made it in then I may see a palmetto...

There's lots of new construction here in SoFi, it's just very expensive and lots of the new mid rise buildings look like two bedrooms.

Ok, but being afraid to leave food on your counter for more than a second is not the best way to enjoy an apartment.

I know. I'll look into having an exterminator come. My old place was done once per month and I never had any problems.

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    I know. I'll look into having an exterminator come. My old place was done once per month and I never had any problems.
    sungal, that is why i moved here to downtown lota new construction no bug problems lol but noise, it;s always something, but i have to tell you i rather have noise than bugs, i would feel just like you and thats really not a good way to enjoy an apartment.

New construction is great..if done right there should be soundproofing..no feeling sorry for me, I don't have a bug problem. I'm just scared that I could.

Jasmin, that building can't be well built if you're experience that much noise. Is it still going on?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast