Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Preferred Member

Default Found an apartment - Now I hate it

i found a place downtown and everything seemed great, i negotiated the price and i have free parking, didn't get my furniture yet just a mattress but i will on my day off. The problem is, it's too loud, there is so much noise, dogs are barking and i hear the elevator and all kind of noises and i cant rest. im a flight attendant i need rest (not that others don't) when i come home i have jet lag all the time i need some peace and this building is not it. its a loft style building and it carries noise, i think all the concrete floors, who knows. I paid first last and security, what should i do?? i am so stressed out.

Whose dog? What other noise?

This is news to us because we were under the impression that downtown was a ghost town at night.

For the time being, buy some ear plugs in Walgreens. They do wonders.

What building did you move into?

I'm so sorry Jasmin, I really empathise. I had the same issue when I moved here. Carlos is right when he says use ear plugs. That is how I got through those first few noisy months!
    If it is that awful, stick out those 3 months and find something quieter.

So sorry Jasmin!

Complain to your landlord and notify the management company or condo board. When I had 3 people over one night at my old place my neighbors complained about the noise and I heard about it a few days later..meanwhile, when I was living there it's been noisy at times and I had no idea I could complain!

I hate "loft" style condos. Its usually just a gimmick term that really means the developer didn't want to put in finished ceilings, insulation, or any sound proofing at all between units. Noise carries very far in those types of buildings, from walking with high heels to even normal conversations, so I know exactly what you are going through.

My only suggestion is to buy a large floor fan that makes a large rumble. They usually mask a lot of noise.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Jasim,

You're not the only person hating their downtown apartment:

Javier wants out of downtown. In fact, he won't allow his last name, or the name of his building, to be used in this story, because he's hoping to sell his unit. It's not the parking, or the crime, or the lack of neighbors that is chasing Javier away. It's the noise. "Sleep is very important to me," he says. "When my windows are rattling, and I'm tossing and turning because of the boats, I'd rather get a quiet place somewhere else."
    Downtown Condo-Dwellers to Noisy Shrimpers: Shut the F#*k up!

The article goes on to say, it's the boats in Miami River that are keeping him up at night.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Packer
    My only suggestion is to buy a large floor fan that makes a large rumble. They usually mask a lot of noise.
    Good suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Packer
    Good suggestion!
    Very true. I used to leave my AC on all night to block out my neighbors.

Trust me...the fan works wonders. I lived on Ocean Drive for a year where noise was horrible. I bought a large fan that sounds like the inside of a 747 jumbo plane! Now I always have to use it, even though my place is quiet now.

Hi jasmin! So sorry you're going through this. Yes, loft type buildings are awful for noise. It's bad enough even in "regular" apartments. I don't think there's anything you can do, because noise travels through concrete and it's not like it's one particular noisy neighbor. You could be hearing noises from several units away from you, even from a different floor! Everyone is probably in the same boat.

Here is an overview of Florida rental laws. You could send your landlord a certified letter that you need out for health reasons.

What building is this? If you don't want to share publicly, please DM me. It's always good to know so that we can get real input to share with others.

In the meantime, maybe those ear plugs and that fan will help.

Preferred Member

i was in formed that it might be the water that is going tru the pipes since the a/c units work with water. I have always lived in high rises and never had a "building related noise" only noisy neighbors an i really dont hear my neighbors. MY lease is for 1 yr i guess i have to suck it up. Maybe once i get furniture it wont be that loud anymore. Annoyed annoyed annoyed...Thank you everybody for your responses!

How do you like the building otherwise? Loft2 is one of the buildings I've been looking at for when my lease ends since they have very low rent prices compared to other buildings.

Preferred Member

the building is nice, s/f is a lot better than other buildings and the amenities are great!

Preferred Member

i should add.. i love miami just because the weather is the best. But i understand why other people leave and i understand that some people get frustrated since a lot of people here don't speak english. And of corse i don't speak any spanish but i'm managing and thanks to Mr 305 i can count to 4 in spanish now haha

I hate loft-style condos as well. They're modeled after the loft flats in New York, but those were actually abandoned warehouses in industrial neighborhoods, which were then rented out to artists who needed high ceilings and good lighting but more importantly, needed cheap rent.

I agree that the modern loft-style condos are a gimmick to save money on construction and are marketed to make it seem as if they are trendy.

When I complained about the heavy footstep and general thumping, creaking noises coming from my upstairs apartment, the apartment management company out here immediately offered to void my lease. The manager wrote me an email saying that the upstairs neighbors had lived here 3 years with no complaints and that he thanked them on the phone for removing their spike heels and boots "shoes" inside the apartment but that asking them not to walk around their own place was unreasonable. I never actually told them they couldn't walk around their own place, I just pointed out the fact that they do it for an hour or more straight made the noises more nerve-racking. I told the management company I don't have the financial ability to move right now and hoped that we could all compromise somewhat.

The bad thing about San Diego is it seems there are very few on-site building managers or private owners and that everything is managed by some pretty creepy property management companies. They apparently don't take well to any complaints, and take their time fixing things. If you complain too much, the neighbors say, they'll raise your rent.

I tracked down the former tenant and asked him if the noises had bothered him. He said they had, but he didn't complain simply because he always had very noisy people over himself and didn't want to rock the boat.

Unfortunately, I still hear the girls walking around in hard-soled shoes fairly often. This wouldn't bother me so much, except for the fact that I asked the management company when I first saw the place if there was any footstep noise from upstairs, and they just answered, "We've never had any complaints." But that's not really answering the question, is it? Next time, I'm living on the top floor!

No one should hear plumbing or running water like that in a building. What a poor design. I work from home and that would make me crazy.

Noise and safety are why I like the top floor too!

Look in your lease under Teanant's Responsibilities...does it say "Tenant shall cover 80% of the floor with carpet/rug"? When I was a Realtor in NJ, this was common since a bunch of the apts are in old brownstones or row houses.

If it's not in the lease why not split the cost of a thick area rug with your noisy neighbor? Or go for sympathy and tell them your roomate is disturbed by the noise.

I'd like to know which brand of high heels are so comfy that you can walk around in them all day!

Preferred Member

i agree but ive never heard of that, that the loft style apartment was like that, why do people love to live here?? i never cared for the look too much but this building is actually ok. Doug, i wish i was renting from a company not a private owner, seems like it would be easier to get out the lease...what a nightmare i have never ever heard noise like this and the people in this building act like living here is the sh** i guess they dont hear what i hear

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast