Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: A year in South Beach

Thumbs up Congrats!!!!!!

Way to go Jess!

Nicely written!

Best wishes for many, many more years to come!

Aye, we are on one month short of my two year mark also... and like you MB411 played a big part in my moving here. I was on this board like a full year before i moved reading every article and asking questions.

March was definitely some of the most fun i've had since moving to Miami... shitty that im gonna miss it this year... though things are all messed up this year with WMC and Ultra so...

I haven't had issues with landlords thank god. The one place i rented Midtown 4 was probably one of the best buildings ive ever lived in both is quality and in management. They returned my safety, they always fixed things the same day i reported them and were always friendly and helpful. Now though i plan on buying when i come home in Feb so we'll see how that process goes.

Nightlife i agree. Other than Space i dont care much for the clubs here compared to when i was living in Vegas. Now that pool/charity event we went too that was cool and definitely like doing things like that.

I never had issues with language and i lived on the mainland. I do think its kinda wrong when sales people in stores just assume you speak Spanish and start talking to me in Spanish which has happened in Best Buy, Office Max, Circuit City, Uncle Toms BBQ, and some random store at the mall. The lady who worked at the store in the mall actually spoke no English... or at least pretended not to. Which i mean doesn't bother me but i do think its stupid on the stores part. You wouldn't see me opening a store in Moscow and having no employees who speak Russian.

Lastly like you said, without MB411 i probably wouldn't like it here as much. With my work and being gone all the time its hard to make friends but with MB411 around i was able to meet and keep in touch with a good small group of friends to make life fun

Spot on, Jess!!

I'm glad Gus and I could make your adjustment easier. You have made so many wonderful contributions to this community and we love you!! xoxo

congrats! i just reached the 5 month mark... im not missing the cold in the northeast.

Oh yes the weather here makes life so much better doesn't it. I love living with palm trees and blue skies, and Harry Potter World just up the road
    miamibeach2013 likes this.

rk

Congratulations, Jess and wpns4l. Thanks for posting the update, and best wishes for the next two years.

That's awesome Jess!!! I love how you are positive but balanced. Can't wait until we've been here 2 years.

Default Re: A year in South Beach

Quote Originally Posted by crcossel View Post
    That's awesome Jess!!! I love how you are positive but balanced. Can't wait until we've been here 2 years.
    Thanks! That's a good way to describe me actually. As for your two years, it'll be here before you know it...

Congrats on your mile stone Jess. Any chance of you turning into a Terrible Two so you can entertain us like Matt does in all thimgs Miami ?

I think I will be in love with Miami and the beaches for a very long time, so unfortunately, no!

Matt loves it too for all that he moans

I like Miami too even though it doesn't come off that way all the time.

Hey, you made it past the over-under. So congratulations. But you know as well as I do you made a lot of tough decisions to stay here, decisions most other people would not have made. So kudos to you for pretty much forsaking a LOT of things in favor of Miami. But others be aware, you're not all Jess. She can do it. But it doesn't mean you can.

Congrats Jess. I attribute your success in Miami, to the fact that you don't see Miami as a place to vacation, but instead as a home. Similarly, you didn't come to Miami expecting to bank in on the real-estate boom.

I will also attribute it to the kind of person Jess is. Not to go too far into it, but it takes a certain kind of person - and it's not inherently good or bad, just unique - to be able to last here as a transplant. And she is that sort of person.

Congrats to WPNS and Jess ... and thanks to both of you for being part of our 411 "family" ... it's great to know both of you.

This is so ironic, because I am sort of contemplating moving away, at least for a spell, maybe St. Augustine or some quieter place in Florida, St. Augustine being on the top of the list. 43 years in Miami can do that to you!

Well, I think the other thing that Jess has going for her is that she does not plan to stay in Miami her whole life. I think some people move and then get antsy thinking, "Omg, is this where I'm staying for the rest of my life?" I think if you look at it as just something for a few years, you'll stay and really enjoy and appreciate your time here. And if you meet a great boyfriend/girlfriend, get a great job, have an awesome social life, don't miss your family, and really don't see yourself living anywhere else then maybe you'll stay forever!

I think that's great Maria! St. Augustine looks so charming. Life is too short to live in the same place forever!

Both me and wpns4l have lived in many different places. We didn't just move here from a nice sheltered life at our mom's house. That makes a difference also, we were less attached to home.

And who knows how long I'll be here... I'm sure I'll be updating this on my Miami 3rd birthday though

I like your attitude, Jess! It's neither pie-in-the-sky nor overly pessimistic. You're able to balance the good with the bad and can enjoy it for what it is, while not letting yourself get walked on in the process. I hope your landlord's foreclosure problem has been resolved and that things are back to normal for you!

I'd like to report that I got all of my security back from my last apartment, so yes some landlords can be trusted.

20 days later than the 1st but my landlords are on Miami time, so not a big deal. Plus I've been late with my rent so we're even!

Thanks Doug!

I'm still in my foreclosed apartment but not for much longer, trying to find a new place is very hard in South Beach.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast