Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: A year in South Beach

Default Re: A year in South Beach

SEVEN YEARS. It's a tradition for me to write on my Miami birthday, and every year to read back what I learned and felt about Miami.

I am writing a bit late this year due to work, thanksgiving, and being sick on the sofa. But I am still here, reflecting on another year. This was the year I got married to an American, prompting many to assume I had to get married for my Green Card. Ha, no I am American with a clear British accent. Although these days I sound Australian.

Although I don't see myself spending all my life here, I still love this tropical island. I love the beach, the ocean, and my fav time of day is still 7am along Ocean Dr or Lincoln rd when it is just mine. I still bike everywhere. But I am not the age I was when I moved and soon I think I am going to want to grow up. And by that I mean have a quieter life... own property, or have a car in the driveway that i can get into without stopping to talk to three people in the elevator and then waiting ten minutes for the valet. The fact that someone was shot dead three blocks from my house on Saturday after robbing a bank doesn't even faze me. And that's when it is time to think about a quieter life.

So, now Matthew Meltzer owes me a big well done for lasting 7 years. And all 7 living in SoBe!
    Martin F and Anders like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Hahaha.....if you're not in Central Florida, sure Jess.

And PS: That will NEVER happen. I don't want a truck and I don't want a gun.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Congrats Jess! Time flies doesn't it? I can't believe I've been in South Florida two and a half years now.

Does the two year timeline apply to all of South Florida or just Miami?

Congrats, Jess. !

I kind of understand what you mean...but MB doesn't have white picket fences. I admit it takes a special and strong couple to settle there after the nuptials.

Wish you all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Congrats Jess! Time flies doesn't it? I can't believe I've been in South Florida two and a half years now.

Does the two year timeline apply to all of South Florida or just Miami?
    Miami Beach! Because it is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Congrats, Jess. !

I kind of understand what you mean...but MB doesn't have white picket fences. I admit it takes a special and strong couple to settle there after the nuptials.

Wish you all the best.
    Yeah, reflecting on the year always makes me wistful. We are a very happy couple, and we met here. But this is definitely not the easiest place to live. My husband calls it a circus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Yeah, reflecting on the year always makes me wistful. We are a very happy couple, and we met here. But this is definitely not the easiest place to live. My husband calls it a circus.
    Congrats to you on that and the marriage. I have not met anyone that met here and then got married.
    I passed 5 years this summer and I meant to write something as well but haven't gotten around to it. I think Matt said most people don't make it to 5 years :-)

No ,its not an easy place to live, that's for sure. But its much more exciting than most places...Seeing the palm trees, cruise ships, beautiful blue water, etc. definitely gives me a feeling of home after being on vacation some place else..

"I want to get back..to my city by the Bay"

It is the funniest SoBe classic story really... he was my waiter at Big Pink! The day we got engaged we actually went back there for old times sake. That was back when I was such a local Sofi girl, drinking in Teds, and knowing all the 2nd and Ocean starbucks people and 3rd st lifeguards by name. Met a waiter, went to yoga on the beach, Montys for happy hour and Nikki Beach Sundays... good times. Back then the park wasn't even built. I moved 6 blocks north and became a West Av girl instead... 6 blocks makes all the difference in SoBe. I haven't been to Big Pink in years or Teds. Although that was more to do with a friend who worked there who died on his motorbike. I went to an actual memorial service at Teds. Nothing is more South Beach than that.

One day I should write a book, but it's already been done many times probably. So instead I write here

In my mind, I compare Miami to those luring sounds the Sirens tempted Odysseus while lost at see. Homer's main character survived the ordeal, while many have not. I do appreciate those that have sustained some durability in Miami and are not a statistic. It's sexy lure has devoured many.

It's a bitch, but I remind myself overhearing a conversation a friend from Buenos Aires had with relatives back home while I was on his boat. He's a commodity trader and his vacation time was coming up. The jist of his conversation was warding off relatives back home to considering going back for vacation. I kept hearing, " I live in Miami." When he ended the call, he apologized and stated again: " I live in Miami, [I]porque tengo que viajar si estamos aqui en el paraiso ? " As he said that, we witnessed perhaps the most amazing sight I ever had in Miami... thousands of little fish dancing for their lives above water as a predator was in pursuit. He angled his boat and rods to the activity and we simultaneously muttered: " I live in Miami !"

#Ilivewhereyouvaction
    Jess likes this.

A little delayed here, but yes congrats Jess! Seven Years is the second milestone, as I"ve said. I think the next one is 15 (I just got there). So two pins for you, you've officially made it.

Gus and Michelle also met here, as waiters. Another exception to the rule I guess but, hey, we've got 2 on this site.

And you're not really a Floridian until you own a gun.
    Jess likes this.

A little delayed here, but yes congrats Jess! Seven Years is the second milestone, as I"ve said. I think the next one is 15 (I just got there). So two pins for you, you've officially made it.
    Congratz on that one! Moved back to NYC on my 15th year in 2010. I was over it after living there for 5 years, but the warm winters got the best of me. There's not much I miss about it except my last apartment and the cost of living.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiRentsAlot View Post
    Congratz on that one! Moved back to NYC on my 15th year in 2010. I was over it after living there for 5 years, but the warm winters got the best of me. There's not much I miss about it except my last apartment and the cost of living.
    Enjoy the blizzard warning and dangerous streets. We'll be at the park enjoying the sun ;-)

It is 30mph winds today and a low of 46! We aren't that smug!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    It is 30mph winds today and a low of 46! We aren't that smug!
    We just got done walking around midtown...sun was shining so it wasn't that cold, just windy. I had a leather jacket on and jeans.

People up north are living on the turnpike inside their cars because emergency vehicles can't get to them..

Being real not smug.

Yeah I am getting a little sick of the "Hey, we're in the sun!" posts on social media. We get it. The weather here is better. It's like fans of good sports teams talking about how great they are. There's all kinds of reasons to live somewhere. Sure, the weather sucks some of those palces, but they also have people who show up on time, keep their word, are friendly, speak English, etc. And when we're stuck in flooding rain in the summer, they are fishing at the lake. It's all relative.
    Jess and MiamiRentsAlot like this.

True story. Sometimes sun comes with a price!

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Four years today :-)
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Enjoy the blizzard warning and dangerous streets. We'll be at the park enjoying the sun ;-)
    We had 26.8" dumped on us. The streets weren't dangerous. Tons of people were out and about, including myself. If you dress appropriately and have common sense you'll be fine. The only havoc it wreaked the mess. After snowstorms the streets aren't the most pedestrian friendly.

Yeah I am getting a little sick of the "Hey, we're in the sun!" posts on social media. We get it. The weather here is better. It's like fans of good sports teams talking about how great they are. There's all kinds of reasons to live somewhere. Sure, the weather sucks some of those palces, but they also have people who show up on time, keep their word, are friendly, speak English, etc. And when we're stuck in flooding rain in the summer, they are fishing at the lake. It's all relative.
    Where I am people are reliable, show up on time and speak English. I wouldn't say they are friendly. More or less they are polite. I live in the roughest toughest city in the world. What they get away with in Miami they'd never get away with it here.

I live in the roughest toughest city in the world. What they get away with in Miami they'd never get away with it here.
    That's why we like Miami.

We had 26.8" dumped on us. The streets weren't dangerous. Tons of people were out and about, including myself. If you dress appropriately and have common sense you'll be fine. The only havoc it wreaked the mess. After snowstorms the streets aren't the most pedestrian friendly.
    Tell that to those that died braving the streets or had to live in their cars on the highways for 1-2 days. ....The bus full of students?? Almost ran out of food after a day on the highway, left the bus idling so they could use wifi and shared food with other stranded motorists..

Maybe it was fine in Times Square or something but for the most part, streets all over the NE including NC & Tennessee were very dangerous and curfews were in effect in most states.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast