Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: A year in South Beach

Default Re: A year in South Beach

The roughest, toughest city in the world? That's cute, I think the people of Caracas or San Salvador might beg to differ. Or even Detroit.

Well, I'm on my way to 8 years in this ridiculous town, and while it isn't all sunshine, I'd take Miami over Detroit any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    The roughest, toughest city in the world? That's cute, I think the people of Caracas or San Salvador might beg to differ. Or even Detroit.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Well, I'm on my way to 8 years in this ridiculous town, and while it isn't all sunshine, I'd take Miami over Detroit any day.
    Bold...no I was referring to the person who referred to New York as the "roughest toughest city in the world."

Right, because only the roughest toughest city in the world has a Whole Foods.
    Jess likes this.

I dug up my thread, as here I am... 8 years. I don't know how it's possible really. I only came for a year!

I debated on updating this thread this year, but seeing as 8 years ago today was my first day living in Miami, I wanted to pay respect to this website and how my Miami life was shaped by it.

MB411 showed me how to plan my move, gave me inspiration on how to do it, introduced me to new friends, gave me the best advice, helped me cope with Miami dramas, and I'd have been lost without it. It's kind of poignant to write this for a few reasons. I feel like I've been the longest beach resident out of everyone who writes on here... not sure how long Matt lived on the beach in total, or Gus and Michelle. I think this site has been so much to so many people. Gus and Michelle, you're the best, and if you do read this, thank you for everything.
    Matt Meltzer and jwisdom789 like this.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Happy eight years!

It's been five for us in Florida and three and a half in South Florida.

It's funny because I thought we'd probably end up retiring on the West Coast of Florida after living in Sarasota for 18 months. After spending a week there in August, I'd die of boredom over there.

Can't imagine leaving Fort Lauderdale for any reason. Ever.
    Jess and Matt Meltzer like this.

Congrats Jess! Wear that 7-year pin proud! Amazing to think where your life was when you joined this site and where you are now, right?

New User

Congrats! I'm only on week 7 of living here and the Miami Time thing is driving me nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Happy eight years!

It's been five for us in Florida and three and a half in South Florida.

It's funny because I thought we'd probably end up retiring on the West Coast of Florida after living in Sarasota for 18 months. After spending a week there in August, I'd die of boredom over there.

Can't imagine leaving Fort Lauderdale for any reason. Ever.
    Don't want to derail Jess's thread but I am curious what makes living in Fort Lauderdale so appealing to you? And where did you live before you moved to Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    Don't want to derail Jess's thread but I am curious what makes living in Fort Lauderdale so appealing to you? And where did you live before you moved to Florida?
    Everything.

We live downtown Fort Lauderdale in Colee Hammock which is Las Olas. We are just a little less than two miles from the beach.

We can and do walk to the Broward Center for concerts, plays, etc.

We have access to everything.

In the last couple of months, we've been to the ballet, the New World Symphony(Miami), Art Basel(Miami), Lexus Sunday Jazz, Christmas On Las Olas, Winterfest Boat Parade and an endless amount of things I could list not to mention we are within walking distance to tons of restaurants, shopping, and bars and attractions. We are also within walking distance of the new, high speed, Brightline Train that will run between Miami and Orlando putting us under two hours to Disney and under 30 to Miami. Walking distance.

The medical care here is fantastic. My husband's cardiologist is one of only a couple hundred in the country that can do heart transplants.

We are close to Miami. We love Miami and love to visit there but can be back home to Fort Lauderdale in an hour.

The people are fantastic. It is a very diverse area. Americans (North and South), Europeans, Latinos, black, white, and everything in between. It is pretty diverse but leans heavily Latino but not nearly as much as Miami. There are white people here.

Both my husband and I walk to work which makes our quality of life outstanding.

I can't imagine living anywhere else. I am thankful every day that I get to live here.

We moved (because of my husband's restaurant career) from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to Sarasota Florida in January 2012 then moved from Sarasota to Fort Lauderdale in August of 2013. We have tons of friends from Myrtle Beach that have second homes in FLL so we had been vacationing here since the late 1990s. Moving here was just a natural pregression.
    Last edited by FredTheCatTravels; 12-17-2016 at 12:29 PM.

Everything's Better in Broward. #EBIB

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Everything's Better in Broward. #EBIB
    Yes, definitely #EBIB

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post

Both my husband and I walk to work which makes our quality of life outstanding.

I can't imagine living anywhere else. I am thankful every day that I get to live here.

We moved (because of my husband's restaurant career) from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to Sarasota Florida in January 2012 then moved from Sarasota to Fort Lauderdale in August of 2013. We have tons of friends from Myrtle Beach that have second homes in FLL so we had been vacationing here since the late 1990s. Moving here was just a natural pregression.
    F.T.C.T.: Thank you for the detailed summary of F.L. Sounds great and looks nice from google street/aerials. Will have to explore F.L. next time I am in So.Fla.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345