Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: A year in South Beach

Default A year in South Beach

Today is my Miami birthday. I have been here one year and I love it :)

I know lots of people find these forums from searching about moving to Miami. That's how I found this article:

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/in...s/moving-tips/

and the rest as they say is history!

So here are a few things I have learned in a year about living in South Beach, good and bad. Just a few observations, and everyone has different experiences of course... And they are...

Doug's article I posted above was beyond helpful. I don't honestly think you can move here without coming here first.

Miami Time. You can't fight it. When repairmen say 8am, they mean 11am. When friends say meet for dinner at 8pm, they mean 9:30 if you're lucky. Coming from the UK, this is still a struggle for me, but I'm getting better. I'm still the first one at a meet up though.

I read once Miami is the City you f***. So true. I love this little stretch of beach, but it can be mayhem and do not expect some tourists to treat your home well. Living in the quieter section of the beach helps.

Following on from that though, Miami Beach is the best place to live if you are young. If you are bored and decide to go out late, no matter. There is always something happening somewhere!

If you live on the beach, you don't need a car. A topic that is up for debate a LOT on this site. I'm sure if I lived downtown or in Coral Gables I would want one. But I get off the beach all the time and I do it on public transport. (Plus I'm safer on the bus. People cannot drive here!!!)

Living by a beach is heaven, pure and simple. If your daydream is moving to Miami cos of the sunshine and beach, well who cares? I could think of no better reason to move here, seriously.

Jess, congratulations on your 1st year anniversary! Thank you SO much for sharing your experiences! I'm so happy for you.

Can you share a bit with readers on how you were able to find work (you don't have to say where you actually work). Also, what your day is actually like ... time to commute from one end of the island to another, etc ;

I think you could put something together just as helpful as Doug's article.

I for one am very glad you moved here and that you are part of our community! :-)

rk

Thanks for taking the time to write. It will be great if you can post something similar in another year from now. And may I add that this site, and the city, are both better since you moved here :)

I'm no writer like Doug :) Also, if others want to write in about what they found when they moved, please do so! Everyone will have different views as people come from all over to move to Miami.

I made it a priority in my week of exploring SoBe for my move to go out, get interviews and try and find work. You really have to be doing so in person. People hear "I'm moving to Miami" every other day. If you turn up in person, they know you mean it...

Quote Originally Posted by rk
    Thanks for taking the time to write. It will be great if you can post something similar in another year from now.
    I will still be here next year no worries there. Miami is my home now, I'm here to stay!

I'm glad you are one of the success sotries, Jess. It goes to show you CAN make it here. But as you know, I still insist you are much more the exception than the rule. GEt past the 2 year mark. And spend a year in Palmetto Bay or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    I'm glad you are one of the success sotries, Jess. It goes to show you CAN make it here. But as you know, I still insist you are much more the exception than the rule. GEt past the 2 year mark. And spend a year in Palmetto Bay or similar.
    I am not the exception, as I know plenty of other people who have moved here and stayed. But... you have to work hard to live on this beach. As in put in the hours at work, as it is not a cheap place to live. Otherwise you burn out, go home, run out of money. I know plenty of those people too. Most people do 6 months to a year here.

And I spend plenty of time in Kendall actually :cheese:

Congrats UK J,

I also have been residing on Miami beach for the past three years and think that Miami beach so far in the year 2009,... is the coolest city in the world.

I also agree UK Jess, that reading Miamibeach411.com is absolutely essential for a new comer, as this website offers plenty of fundamental tools, and informational resources that could help anybody a far.

Personally my experiences with Miami beach, are exactly what anyone wants to make them out as.

As long as you smile, & know deep inside that you're pretty well, & attempt to keep positive values, then this city of Miami becomes one big enjoyable expereince. Hell, Miami beach you can rome however you want.

Think, where else could this happen.

There are no rules. A True bliss

Heck I've worked on a MTV (Not that impressive anymore). I've had fun working with the Miami Heat. The hotels & Spa's are fun to work at. The retail stores are cool and enjoyable to work @.

This entire beach city is just one big play pen, ...As long as you can smile, and do it conveniently.

To anybody looking to relocate to Miami, Juicy J says Just do it.

Don't worry about a job, don't worry about anything, just let your education prevail. Manage your money tight. Have fun sober & reside like your ancients did.

Surly this can not be that too difficult of an environment.

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

This is great, Jess. Love your observations! Congrats on being here a year!!

Congrats on your one year anniversary! We'll celebrate for sure! :coolgrin:
    MiamiChiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    Congrats on your one year anniversary! We'll celebrate for sure! :coolgrin:
    Not long till yours Miss Sungal ;-)

I think you need to subtract the time she spent living in Jersey, though.

Congrats on the year mark. I passed two in October, but the person I moved to Miami with just checked out. I agree with Matt and others though so many people come and go. And drop in and out, such as myself in the forums. I've watched many people move out of Miami from the professional sectors as the economy has been wreaking havoc while I've lived here.

That is awesome, Jess! I would add something, but you put it so well. When we came, we determined to give it 18 months to see if really did like it. By about the second week I was hooked. We came for the sun, sand, surf, and nightlife. We found that it is so much more and so much better than that.

Congratulations not just for the feat but for the fact that you followed your bliss.

Congratulations Jess!! I've been here for about 3 years now and haven't looked back. I live in Brickell and love it down here. Although I do need to go back to the US sometimes, there's something about this city that makes it exciting. I love chilling out on the beach on the weekends and watching all of the vacationers drinking, laughing and having a good time. I fell in love with the place the first time I came down here. If I have to choose between living in NYC and Miami, Miami hands down for me!

It feels like yesterday the day I moved down here...

The day I drove down from Tampa to Miami, with my car packed with clothes and stuff, my friend from NY was already down in South Beach on vacation with some of his other friends. So when I got down to the apartment, I parked, the car, unloaded my stuff into the apartment, showered, shaved and got myself together to meet up with them that same night!! It was the first time I went to the Delano and was very impressed as was my friend. We stayed out all night until 3:00 am.

Congrats Jess, I am very happy for you. Hopefully I will be there by your second year anniversary. It's freezing here in New England, to celebrate I would have told you to got to warm place like the beach, but I guess you are already there, =), LOL.

One question, how long did it take you to find work?

I lined up interviews before I came and came armed with my resume. Finding work was my first priority when I had my week exploring here. I was able to line up work, which made a HUGE difference upon moving.
    miamibeach2013 likes this.

Default Two years !!!

It's my 2nd Miami birthday!

So I have now been here two years! rk and Matt both said I should write back on the 2nd year so here it is...

Firstly, all the observations I made on the 1st year have not changed. I still do not own a car. Miami time is infuriating, but unfortunately I have adopted it, and run late to things. (If you can't beat them, join them) the beach is still heaven, and above all, I love living in Miami.

So, my 2nd year observations:

March is the craziest month of the year.
    I partied like a crazy person in March with Spring Break, WMC, St Patrick's Day, Ultra Music Festival and friends in town for 'March Madness'. There were days I thought I'd honestly pass out from sleep deprivation, but I had the most fun I'd had since moving. I spent the month saying I'd sleep in April, and get me a red bull.

There is always something to do.
    Miami parties 24/7, 365 days a year. It's awesome! There are events, functions, parties, the city loves closing streets for Halloween, festivals, and anything they want really. We have a pretty fun atmosphere living here. Somewhere is always serving alcohol, someone is always having a party, someone is always up.
    My fondest memory of going out is waking up at 4am from the neighbors dog barking, and ending up in Teds. It was open and my friends were there. That in itself is pretty cool.

Landlords here are scam artists.
    People are so dishonest here and think it is acceptable. My first landlord stole my security deposit. My second went into foreclosure and hadn't paid the mortgage in a year...hello? Where was my rent going?? Other friends have had the same issues, being evicted by boards, having landlords not fix things... renting on the beach is difficult.

South Beach looks after it's own.
    Two years on and I am known as a local. This means free drinks in my favorite bars, free food in my local restaurants, discounts everywhere and better service.

South Beach nightlife is good...but I've had better
    I moved here partly for the music, and I am a big time club girl. Miami's reputation as one of the world nightlife spots beckoned and I was ready.
    Well, wtf Miami? Maybe I'm a hardened local now, but I am not impressed with what I found. I've been out in London, Ibiza and Vegas, also known as THE places to go out, and guess what? Those clubs had dance floors, fair entry policies and normal door prices.
    South Beach club owners are greedy and I think it is unfair to all the tourists who come for a good time and are already paying a s**t load to be here at all. I don't even go out much on the beach anymore, I go to places where the staff have manners so Opium Group, sorry but you can kiss my English arse

So two years on and I want to thank Gus and Michelle, two of my most wonderful friends. They have made my life here what it is today, without them I'd still be living on cheerios! (South beach ain't cheap.)
    Plus without them, I wouldn't have met Christy, Matt or Joe who make a big part of my fun here. 411 really did help me move, meet people and make a life for myself. I live very happily on this crazy stretch of beach, where no one seems to grow up or grow old. And I wouldn't have it any other way
    Indian Barbie likes this.

Congratulations Jess! I think you're a great example of someone who always stays positive when living here throws annoying things your way, and that list was pretty long. You've worked really hard to have the life you have and deserve all the great things that come to you! I don't think I could've survived as long as I did without you as my friend. Many wishes for more wonderful times in Miami!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    MiamiChiwi likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast