Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Living near the beach, Working at MIA

i am a flight attendant and i live in chicago,it is so cold here and i cant do another winter! i want to move to miami but i have no car. is there any way to make it without a car? i would love to live by the beach. of corse i would have to get to work at mia airport, im so discouraged cause i want to move but all i hear is i need a car or i wont make it! please help

Hi jasmeen1976,

Welcome! It is not necessary to have a car but it will make your life easier. If you choose the beach for your home, you will need to rely on public transport to get you to work. That means lots of commute time and buses that are not always on schedule.

Can you drive?

If you can, I recommend buying the cheapest car you can find. If you value your time, it will be worth every penny.

New User

yes i can drive but i know a car and insurance will cost me a fortune but i still have time to figure it out...im so tired of chicago i dont want to be here another winter...thank you so much for your reply

Suzanne C

Hi Jasmeen1976....

I've never been to Chicago but I can tell you that winters in Miami are TOASTY!!!!

Now about that car/apt locale issue, Michelle is definitely right, you'll consider every penny spent on a car, a penny well spent the first time a 30 minute drive from the Beach to the airport takes you 2 hours on two buses, a train and a commuter shuttle. :ahhh: BUT, it is possible to get from Miami Beach (well actually anywhere in the county) to the airport via buses and trains. You may want to ask your airline's HR department about MIA employee shuttles to see where they pick-up/drop off to try to map out a plan.

I know the airport has a huge employee parking lot just off of NW 44th Ave-the area is littered with reasonably priced apartments and townhomes so you wouldn't have to get very far...

I imagine that as a Flight attendant you're not home very often; why not sacrifice the higher cost of Beach rentals for an apartment close to the airport?

...it might just leave you with enough $$$$ to buy/lease a car... :-)

New User

i know it would be cheaper to live close to the airport but i onlly go to work once a week so i was thinking if i live at the beach without a car i can put that extra money into an apartment. i dont know what im going to do but i know insurance and a carpament is going to be alot too...thank you so much for your response!!