Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default DC to Miami update and more questions

So it's been a crazy couple of weeks, but I have moved into my apartment on Normandy Isle (Bay Dr. and 71st.) Well, let me preface that by saying that I have moved in, my furniture and belongings have not (and if anybody needs advice on moving companies, let me know.)

I have to say that I found a very down-to-earth landlord; super-affordable rent, they keep the units in good condition and it's walking distance to a lot of things. Downside is street parking, but I haven't really had issues since I moved in a couple nights ago. He might have another apartment in the complex if anyone is interested.

I haven't had too much time to explore, unwind or think, but I'm wondering if there's any advice on the following:

- Any good local cd/vinyl shops to recommend?
    - Affordable framing stores?
    - Good place to buy veggie food (stores and/or restaurants?)
    - What's a good broadband/wireless provider? Seems like there's a few...Comcast seems to be the least expensive.

Try calling Uncle Sam's on Washington and 13th in South Beach for your vinyl needs. It's a top DJ destinatinaton. I'm pretty happy with the vegetable selection in Publix.

If you don't mind my akssking, DCtoMIA, what's the rent up there? Are you renting a 1 BR or a 2? And what are the units in your building like?

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you. Just more questions.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Any good local cd/vinyl shops to recommend?
    SoBe Thrifty on Alton Road always has a good selection of vinyl records, probably due all of the hipsters that move here (and leave).

Welcome to Miami. =)

New User

Thanks for the welcome!

Sungal and Gus, thanks for the recommendations, I'll def check those shops out. I'm not a DJ, just like vinyls (I'm not hip enough to be a hipster myself...or is that something hipsters say?)

Matt, the apartments are older (built in the 50's,) but well maintained. I have a 1 bedroom and the rent is $700 a month. I've only been there a few days, but the owner is friendly and respectful and took care of any questions or issues I had before I moved in. He told me they have a monthly exterminator, and he takes care of water and garbage. I'm posting a Craigslist advert from Feb 1st: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/apa/1580451587.html

rk

For Internet you can try the free City wifi, though I have no idea how good the signal is by your place:

http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/wifi/

Gus

rk, last month, Miami New Times ran an interesting post about the future of Miami Beach Wi-Fi:

After a more than three-year delay and $5 million signed away, Miami Beach's Wi-Fi project is still spotty at best. Signals are strong in high-traffic public areas, but if you live on the Beach, good luck trying to join the network in your condo or back yard.

Even worse, technology experts wonder why a city needs free Wi-Fi in the age of web-browsing phones. That's exactly why pretty much every other metropolis in America dropped their plans of going wireless in the early 2000s.
    Miami Beach spending $5 million for spotty Wi-Fi

rk

Gus, thanks for that link, which I had missed reading earlier. While the author makes a couple of valid points re. the spotty nature of coverage and wifi eventually becoming obsolete, I find most of that article ill-informed.

Someone in there is quoted as saying "everyone walks around with a smartphone" and "only a marginal population wants free wifi". I think both of these are patently false statements. Even if we assume the first part of the statement is somewhat true, i.e. a certain percentage of people access the internet via phones (I'd guess 20% maybe) that number would probably drop fast if there was a free or cheap alternative. No one likes paying $40+ a month for fairly spotty 3G coverage.

I am fairly sure that in the future (a) free or nearly-free wireless will be in most cities and (b) no one will be voluntarily paying $40/mo for wireless access. It will certainly be as or more important than many taxpayer subsidized services we're used to, such as a library, roads, buses, post office, etc. It will not be more important than others, such as food, water, electricity etc. Some of these are already quasi-private. Maybe that is the model we'll end up with.

The current MB implementation is certainly imperfect, and probably over budget, but then which govt. program isn't? Perhaps they should have waited. The current technology is 802.11 (wifi) and tomorrow it could be 802.16 (wimax) which promises to be cheaper and wider-range, but has taken a long time becoming practical, or it could be something else. 3G will certainly not survive beyond a few years either. that is just the way things are.

Quote Originally Posted by DCtoMIA
    Well, let me preface that by saying that I have moved in, my furniture and belongings have not (and if anybody needs advice on moving companies, let me know.)
    I need advice on a moving company!! I don't have much furniture but I did fill a small truck last time I moved so I am thinking of doing that again. What did you do? I also checked out the craigslist link and the place looks good! Good for you! I'll be there soon enough and can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by rk
    Gus, thanks for that link, which I had missed reading earlier. While the author makes a couple of valid points re. the spotty nature of coverage and wifi eventually becoming obsolete, I find most of that article ill-informed.

Someone in there is quoted as saying "everyone walks around with a smartphone" and "only a marginal population wants free wifi". I think both of these are patently false statements. Even if we assume the first part of the statement is somewhat true, i.e. a certain percentage of people access the internet via phones (I'd guess 20% maybe) that number would probably drop fast if there was a free or cheap alternative. No one likes paying $40+ a month for fairly spotty 3G coverage.

I am fairly sure that in the future (a) free or nearly-free wireless will be in most cities and (b) no one will be voluntarily paying $40/mo for wireless access. It will certainly be as or more important than many taxpayer subsidized services we're used to, such as a library, roads, buses, post office, etc. It will not be more important than others, such as food, water, electricity etc. Some of these are already quasi-private. Maybe that is the model we'll end up with.

The current MB implementation is certainly imperfect, and probably over budget, but then which govt. program isn't? Perhaps they should have waited. The current technology is 802.11 (wifi) and tomorrow it could be 802.16 (wimax) which promises to be cheaper and wider-range, but has taken a long time becoming practical, or it could be something else. 3G will certainly not survive beyond a few years either. that is just the way things are.
    RK, I really value your opinions (as I have stated before) and I would really like to know what you feel the short term 3-12 month future of mbwifi is. I get 'bars, in my apt, but cannot sign on--will this ever work?

rk

Fred, about how many bars are you getting? If it's more than one or two then the problem is not the signal but some setting on your computer. Check this recent article by Doug:

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/in...nts/free-wifi/

At the bottom are some tips by people who had problems also. The most useful may be the one about allowing cookies in your browser.

Hope you checked the city wifi page:

http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/wifi/

there's a help phone # there, plus links to common questions (there are some good tips if you scroll down that common questions list)

Sometimes, trying a different browser (e.g. IE instead of Firefox, or vice-versa) can make a difference. Also, clear your browser cache and cookies, then try again.

If you suspect a weak signal then walk around outside until you get more bars, then try from there.

I don't have any inside knowledge, but supposedly you can report areas of weak signal to the City and IBM is supposed to add more antennae in that area to provide better signal as part of the contract.

(Thanks for the vote of confidence! :) )

thanks rk!

i think i have been through those but may have missed a step. will check on my next trip in, thanks for the links!

Hi DCtoMIA, congrats on your move and thanks for sharing your thoughts on the neighborhood. Keep 'em coming!

- Any good local cd/vinyl shops to recommend?

In addition to what was recommended, try Sweat Records next to Churchill's Pub in Little Haiti.

- Affordable framing stores?

Not sure what's in your budget, but Rex Art framing is one of Miami's oldest.

- Good place to buy veggie food (stores and/or restaurants?)

Whole Foods and Apple a Day in South Beach, also there's a market in Normandy Isle on the weekends. Here is a thread about organic/vegetarian restaurants, it's kind of dated, but some of those places are still around. Here is an article I wrote about Eating Healthy in Miami Beach. I think all those places are still around.

- What's a good broadband/wireless provider? Seems like there's a few…Comcast seems to be the least expensive.

I've always used Atlantic Broadband. If 24/7 internet access is important to you, skip the "free" wi-fi until it becomes seamless.

By the way, DC, one of my fave Italian restaurants on the beach, Cafe Primo Pasta, is right near you on Harding and 71st. I don't know if you're exclusively vegetarian, but they do have that as an option there. Also try Caffe Oggi on the 71st street causeway. They have delicious homemade pasta.

New User

Re: internet access, I did hear about the free wireless offered by the city but haven't been able to pick it up...and I'm on the first floor. I'm going to have to breakdown and go pro...

GoGoGirl21: My advice on moving companies is pretty much not to use one if you don't have a lot of stuff to pack up. I am STILL waiting on my furniture and belongings. Luckily, I bought a bed last weekend so I have a place to sleep. The problem with most moving companies is a lot of subcontracting for the actual "move." In my case, 'City Van Lines' was very friendly and gave a reasonable quote. The problem of course, was that they used another company, 'All Inclusive Moving and Storage' to conduct the actual move. My experience with the latter has been nothing short of a nightmare. And they jacked up the final price, claiming I went over the original weight (when I actually had them move about 20% less than I originally requested.) I'm sure there are reputable ones out there, but this was my first experience with one. I would say if the price is too good to be true, it is. If you do need to use a mover, check out these sites: www.moverreviews.com and www.movingscam.com first. Make sure to ask the company if they do the move or if they use a subcontractor (if they say "sister company," steer clear!) Hopefully my furniture will be here within the next day...after that, I'm done with movers!

Maria, thanks again for the great advice! I will def check out all the record shops once I'm settled...hopefully this weekend. I'm really looking forward to the market on Saturday, I'm just a five minute walk to the fountain, and I need to start cooking again. Re: Primo Pasta, their food is excellent! I actually went back last night with a friend and had their ricotta stuffed eggplant. Looking forward to checking out Cafe Oggi also.

rk

You might consider filing a report of no-wifi with the city and see how responsive they are.

Fred, please do start another thread if you're having connection problems when you try later.

Guys, I was thinking of splitting this thread as is ... we have a loooooong thread about Miami Beach wi-fi here. Feel free to continue the discussion there to build on the history of the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by DCtoMIA
    Thanks for the welcome!

Matt, the apartments are older (built in the 50's,) but well maintained. I have a 1 bedroom and the rent is $700 a month. I've only been there a few days, but the owner is friendly and respectful and took care of any questions or issues I had before I moved in. He told me they have a monthly exterminator, and he takes care of water and garbage. I'm posting a Craigslist advert from Feb 1st: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/apa/1580451587.html
    I guess the real question is do the apartments have dishwashers? And what's the laundry situation?

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by rk
    rk, maybe nearly-free Internet is coming sooner than we think. Google just announced they're accepting requests for information for their Google Fiber for Communities experiment:

Google is planning to launch an experiment that we hope will make Internet access better and faster for everyone. We plan to test ultra-high speed broadband networks in one or more trial locations across the country. Our networks will deliver Internet speeds more than 100 times faster than what most Americans have access to today over 1 gigabit per second, fiber-to-the-home connections. We'll offer service at a competitive price to at least 50,000 and potentially up to 500,000 people.

From now until March 26th, we're asking interested municipalities to provide us with information about their communities through a Request for information (RFI), which we'll use to determine where to build our network.
    Google has been talking about building this "dark fiber" network since 2005.

Wouldn't it be great if they chose us?

Someone should contact the city because they probably don't know about the offer.

New User

Matt, my apartment doesn't have a dishwasher, but the other apartment might. There are a couple of laundromats within walking distance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast