Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Pros and Cons About Living Around Downtown Fort Lauderdale & Beaches

I answered this question in much greater detail on the thread you started, but Downtown Ft. Lauderdale and Las Olas would probably be the best places for you to look. Even Lauderdale Beach is not a bad drive if you are working downtown. But the main question is where will you be working?

Hi ecb514, welcome to the forums!

Please read this thread closely from beginning to end, especially the posts by MoreWillie. You'll find the answers to your questions there. He's a young professional in your age range and pretty much fits your life style of active recreational/social life. He recommends it very much.

If you are interviewing in Fort Lauderdale and will be working there, I recommend the area of Las Olas, as Matt suggested. I don't see the point in living south of that. If you like to be right on the water, you could still do that and be a stone's throw from downtown Fort Lauderdale.

New User

Thanks Maria, in regards to looking for apartments etc, I have been looking on craigslist. Do you know of any other trusted sites for apartment hunting down there? Is there anything you can think of that I should watch out for aside from the normal checklist for apartment hunting? I would appreciate any input you may have. I will be renting not buying.

I would recommend just contacting a realtor. Craigslist, especially in South Florida (aka the Shadiness Capitol of America), is EXTREMELY shady and I advise against using it. Yes, you CAN find stuff on it, but you are also liable to get scammed. Realtors down here do not charge and can find you what you are looking for in the area you want. You just have to be able to pony up 3 months' rent to move in (First, Last and Security).

Hi ecb, I recommend a realtor as well. Actually, I know someone who just moved into the Las Olas area and is renting a nice condo there. I'll see if I can get a recommendation for the realtor he used.

The Sun Sentinel, Broward's newspaper, uses apartment.com for searches.

There will probably be a lot of apartment community listings there and things you need to research, just like Craigslist. I always recommend renting from an individual owner and the only way you can find out about those is either really carefully searching listings, looking for "for rent" signs outside buildings or using a realtor.

fort lauderdale it is since Maria told me traffic going up and what not is bad.

New User

Default Re: Pros and Cons About Living Around Downtown Fort Lauderdale & Beaches

Hey guys! I wanted to Thank you fort all your super helpful information!! I finally made it down here to FL and am living in FLL. I got odwn here about 3 weeks ago. My job was supposed to be right downtown but a couple days before I moved they up and moved to Miramar haha that is my luck though. The commute is not bad at all since I am going against traffic both ways and am used to a worse commute back home in Boston. The firm is moving within a year to either Fort Laud. or South Beach. So, I am hoping for Fort lauderdale, because I don't feel like moving or commuting to Miami from FLL. Regardless, thank you again for the helpful info and if anyone has helpful tips/know of good events/places to see or go as a new resident of Fort Lauderdale those are always greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    E

Hi E! Welcome back to the forums! I'm happy to hear you're all settled in. Did you end up in the Las Olas area?

There is a free magazine you can pick up at local businesses. It's published by the Riverwalk Trust Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale - Home

These are jazz festivals on the riverfront: Las Olas Riverfront: Events & Entertainment

I have been spending a lot of time in Fort Lauderdale lately. Places I've enjoyed are Oasis Cafe (beach), Himmarshee (riverfront), Vicinos (riverfront), Timpano's (Las Olas), Downtowner (river).

Morton's by Las Olas has a fantastic happy hour in the afternoon and again in the evening. Cheap drinks and $5 bar bites. Try the salmon pizza if you like salmon -- it's so good!

There is also a great little pizza place called Slice Pizzeria on 1st street. And Lester's Diner on 24th street is outrageous -- their dinner specials are so cheap with humongous portions.

Are you on twitter? @visitlauderdale is a great account to follow. They're always publishing good deals. Fort Lauderdale (visitlauderdale) on Twitter

I hope you'll share more with us as you discover your new city.

Default Re: Pros and Cons About Living Around Downtown Fort Lauderdale & Beaches

Quote Originally Posted by ecb514 View Post
    Hey guys! I wanted to Thank you fort all your super helpful information!! I finally made it down here to FL and am living in FLL.

Thanks,
    E
    Living at the airport? Man, that HAS to suck.

New User

Relocating to job in N Miami. Was thinking of living in Brickell. Many ppl say, it's THE place to live,,many say not worth the traffic to get to work...options ???

Brickell is THE place for construction :-)

Some people love it, some hate it and there is no in between..sort of like South Beach.

Working in North Miami, you could live in a beautiful place on the water in Aventura or over the bridge in Sunny Isles.
    Or south a bit in a house in Miami Shores or east in the Bay Harbor Islands/Surfside area by the beach.

But if you like luxury high rise living with valet parking, pools, gym, security, balconies, etc. then Brickell could be for you. Lots of bars to walk to and take the metro mover around the city and to the Heat games/Bay front park. You can get all that without the bars to walk to in Aventura. Traffic is just as bad in both areas but the construction is NON STOP in Brickell.

Brickell is also almost exclusively South American, and not a very inclusive place. If you are moving here without knowing anyone it's a terrible place to live. Very snooty, and probably the douchiest part of Miami that's not full of toursits. I generally recommend against living in Brickell unless A) You're douchey or B) You work there and want to have a minimal commute. You can take the Metrorail from there, which is nice. But past that, it's down there on the parts of town you'd wanna live in.

And yeah, traffic is unbearable.

New User

Any "younger buildings " to recomend in sunny isle ?

New User

The demands of my job will require me to be very close, N Miami. Seems like Aventura orSunny Isles is closest ....your thoughts ??

New User

Will be working in N Miami , very demanding job requires me to be close . I will contact brokers, just affraid they may not truly know which building in Sunny or Aventura have young professionals ,,,NOT just the bridge games. Lol

Aventura Young Professionals: Uptown Lofts ($1800 range, 680 credit score required), ArTech (650 score required, $2100+), Venture ($1800 for a 2 bedroom, pet friendly)

Sunny Isles Young Professionals: Intercoastal Yacht Club (mixed with families, 2 Bedroom $1700-$1900), Ocean Reserve (nicer than the OceanView Buildings, $1500 for large 1BR w/ Balcony). Wealthy professionals: La Perla, Trump Towers, Jade ($3000+)

Sunny Isles stay away from: Winston Towers, Arlen House 2 & 3, Plaza of Americas

If you want help finding something soon, contact me and we'll get the process going.

I've honestly met maybe half a dozen young people who live in Aventura or SI and don't live it home, or some variation thereof. Maybe some younger marred couples in Aventura, but that's about it.

Willie, Las Olas is how far from the oceanfront?Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreWillie View Post
    Hmmm ok off the top of my head...

Cafes / Food / Night Spots

Gran Forno Cafe and Bakery, Las Olas - For sandwiches and baked goods (f'ing good cupcakes too)
    Rino's Tuscan Grill, Las Olas - Good little personal pizzas and a crazy wine selection
    Noodles Panini, Las Olas - Voted best meatballs, but all food is good, a bit pricey
    Samba Rom, Las Olas - Great lunch and cool vibe on Sunday night (Loungey DJ + Art)
    YOLO and O Lounge, Las Olas - Really nice crowd at nights at the end of the week and weekend, music, dancing, drinks
    BOVA Prime, Las Olas - Same as above, but a bit more of a pretentious crowd sometimes, still fun
    The W, A1A - The hotel is beautiful, great lounge upstairs, awesome pool scene on the weekends, and bar downstairs
    Maguire's Hill 16, Andrews Ave, North of Broward - Fantastic Irish Pub
    Brew Himmarshee, 2nd Street (Riverwalk) - Cool little cafe...has art/music/happy hour events often and right by all the other 2nd street bars
    Himmarshee, 2nd Streer (Riverwalk) - Great lunches and delicious food (squash purses), sidebar is a cool place to go at night as well
    Sushi One, Broward and US1 - Hole in the wall sushi, but line out the door during lunch, fresh, delicious, and inexpensive (Tuna Bento Box)
    Cafe Verdi, 1st Ave and Broward - Really cool happy hour with music on Wednesday, eclectic crowd
    Caffe Rustica, Sunrise and US1 (Gateway Shops) - Incredible single origin coffees and homemade desserts
    Canyon, Sunrise and 18th (Gateway Shops) - One of the best restaurants in Fort Lauderdale, inspired, modern Southwest cuisine
    Serafina, 20th Ave (Gateway Shops) - Small Italian restaurant on the water, home made pasta, cheese lovers try the burrata
    Pizza Fusion, Sunrise and US1 - It's a small chain, but it's still quality. Organic pizza. $1 bottle of organic wine on Tuesdays.
    Brew Victoria Park, US1 and 6th St - Larger than the other Brew, better for getting work done or reading
    Shuck and Dive, 6th St behind Brew - Great Cajun food and fun atmosphere especially during football season, if it's in, try the gator burger
    Blue Martini, Sunrise (Galleria Mall) - Pretty fun nightlife/happy hour especially on nights when there is something special like Ladies Night

Late Night Eats

The Floridian, Las Olas - It's an institution, serving breakfast 24/7, huge menu
    Primanti Brothers, South of Sunrise on A1A - Pizza and sandwiches 24/7, female flashers get a free slice (so I hear)

Theatre / Art Picks

Cinema Paradiso, SE 6th St - Old church turned movie theatre, home of FTL International Film Festival, really hip little spot, indies, foreign, classics
    Gateway Theatre, US1 and 18th (Gateway Shops) - Super old, no surround sound, but lots of character, mainstream and indie/foreign
    IMAX, 2nd Street - Duh, it's the IMAX.
    18 Rabbit Gallery, NW 1st Ave - Cool new gallery in town, some weekly events as well, Drink and Draw on Tuesday
    Fort Lauderdale Museum of Art - Went for the first time recently, impressed!
    IWAN (The Bubble), NE 4th Ave - Another new active gallery / artist collective...Great show coming up on Feb 19 & 20th
    Broward Center of the Performing Arts - Opera, Theatre, even dinner & comedy on certain nights, beautiful venue I hear
    Parker Playhouse, off of US1 (Holiday Park) - Another cool venue, smaller, various types of performances

Outdoor Spots
    Park at Riverwalk across from Science Museum - Yoga in the Park on Saturday mornings, Jazz Sundays on 1st Sundays of the Month
    Holiday Park, Victoria Park - Tons of fields for soccer, running; basketball courts; Jim Everett Tennis center is beautiful, clay & hard courts
    Small Park at end of Broward Blvd/Beginning of Victoria Park Road - Small, quaint, nice place to relax or walk the dog
    Hugh Taylor Birch State Park, Sunrise right before A1A, huge park, nice for walking/jogging/cookouts, across from the beach

Ok that's all I have for now, I tried to limit it to things right in central Fort Lauderdale that I've frequented lately.

Three of the big area for going out at night are A1A just north of Las Olas, lots of bars...my pick is Exit 66 or Elbow Room (classic); West Las Olas where places like YOLO and Bova are; and close by that is 2nd street with a ton of different bars like Tarpon Bend, Himmarshee, Revolution

And that's my two cents.

Depends where on Las Olas. It goes right up to the Beach. But the part with all the bars and that is a mile or 2 down, across a bridge.

New User

Hi y'all I was on google to research Fort.Lauderdale and came across this link. I am from north GA I always tell people it's 3 counties from the Tenn line. We moved to Myrtle Beach,SC due to my husbands job. He was not looking for a job but a company seeked him out and looks very good on we will be moving there. My husband was in the Airforce, then worked for Delta for 20yrs, If he gets this new job is right by the airport. Our goal is to not buy anything right now especially since we still own our house in GA and we don't need to get into more debt with buying anything any time soon. Hope to try to sell our house next yr. The crazy thing is we own a new 2014 RV one of the largest they make so we were thinking of poss staying in it for a temporary time till we see where we want to be. So my 1st question Does anyone know where a clean nice RV/Campsite is around there? 2nd question is where is better to live north of the airport or south? In GA north side is so much better and safer. If we make the mistake of moving to a bad place we sure wouldn't stay but I thought since I saw this I would ask. Thank y'all for any help due our situation is different kind of living area. I have looked on line at places and so far I am not impressed due to they have no pic's to really compare to. It's not a permanent home but it's a start. One last thing is my husband wants to live close by the airport so he doesn't have to drive far. He had to when we lived in GA. I am a dental assistant of 17yrs and I will be looking for a good place there also soon as we get settled.If he does get the job…

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast