Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Pros and Cons About Living Around Downtown Fort Lauderdale & Beaches

Default Re: Pros and Cons About Living Around Downtown Fort Lauderdale & Beaches

Hi GA girl...welcome to the forums!!

The FLL airport isn't in a bad area, really. And both north and south of it are ok. South has Dania Beach, which is a nice beach area I think. North is downtown Ft. Lauderdale which is also nicer, but more of a downtown vs. beach city feel. Really can't go wrong with either, it just depends if you want to live in a beach vs. city environment.

As for mobile home parks, no idea on those, though I think there are some in Dania

New User

Default Re: Pros and Cons About Living Around Downtown Fort Lauderdale & Beaches

Ok thanks for the reply.. Lord have mercy this will be different but the rv is nicer then our apartment here so we are going to try it out. We have no kids it's just the two of us. I can handle it as long as the place we find is nice. It's much nicer then a mobile home/trailer… we camp here right on the beach in Myrtle Beach. Deffently not a trailer park place. hahaha Name:  1059507_10151705944486061_1430134795_n.jpg
Views: 4204
Size:  109.8 KBName:  1060041_10151705984536061_1031244626_n.jpg
Views: 5663
Size:  174.0 KB
    Thank you though. It's different then asking about homes.

Oh wow...that is nice.

So I got some info for you about places to park our RV in Broward near FLL....There's one right near the end of Old Grifin Road in Dania beach that's probably the closest. There's also one a little farther out in Davie just south of 595 off he University Ave. exit. There's one right near the Hard Rock in Hollywood, but that may likely be part of the Indian reservation.
    GAgirl likes this.

New User

My wife and I are pretty much in the same boat as the OP - we are looking at a possible move to Fl ( from NJ)..I'm in IT, might be able to work from home to telecommute, my wife owns her own travel company - she works from home and can move anywhere.We have three small kids so we will be looking for good schools..according to neighborhhoodscout.com FLL ( west of Fl tpke) , Jupiter, Key Biscayne, Boca Raton, Windermere, Winter springs all have best ratings for schools and for families to move to. We have a $400k home here in Nj and would like to swing something comparable in Fl ..some great advice we've seen posted here, has been for us rent,first, for a year or two, to see if we really like it..
    does neighborhoodscout.com have it right, that these areas are tops for families and in particular, for schools? what do locals think of Boca, Jupiter, Fll?
    Matt Meltzer, you've had some priceless advice in this thread, I was wondering what your thoughts are in this area, if you hav anything you'd like to suggest? thanks for any info, it is much appreciated..
    Rob
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

I love being called out by name....

Jupiter is boring as shit. I mean, not just like "Oh, it's not South Beach" boring. I mean you're gonna be driving half an hour to get to West Palm, which is about the closest place with a concentration of nice restaurants, cultural arts, museums. And it's a minimum. It's an hour to Delray, which is nice, and even further to Ft. Lauderdale. I'm not sure about raising kids, but Jupiter is just dullsville.

Boca is ok. It's probably remind you of New Jersey because it's the same case of characters just with shorts on instead of track suits. Go to about the 2:07 mark of this video and that sums it up rather well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvbX_FkkGgM

Key Biscayne is very nice, but you won't be getting a house there. A condo is your best bet, and kids who grow up out there are known locally as "Key Rats." I'm not sure what that means, but it IS a popular place for families. Just understand in your price range a house won't be happening.

What do you mean by FLL? Like the airport? It's ok, though I prefer MIA. If you meant the city of Ft. Lauderdale, it's great if you're young and there's cool parts with houses like Sailboat Bend and near the water. I'm not sure about the schools there though. Out west near Weston is probably the best in terms of that. Or Coral Springs/Tamarac. Then again, if you've seen "Bully" who knows.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I love being called out by name....

Jupiter is boring as shit. I mean, not just like "Oh, it's not South Beach" boring. I mean you're gonna be driving half an hour to get to West Palm, which is about the closest place with a concentration of nice restaurants, cultural arts, museums. And it's a minimum. It's an hour to Delray, which is nice, and even further to Ft. Lauderdale. I'm not sure about raising kids, but Jupiter is just dullsville.

Boca is ok. It's probably remind you of New Jersey because it's the same case of characters just with shorts on instead of track suits. Go to about the 2:07 mark of this video and that sums it up rather well...

Key Biscayne is very nice, but you won't be getting a house there. A condo is your best bet, and kids who grow up out there are known locally as "Key Rats." I'm not sure what that means, but it IS a popular place for families. Just understand in your price range a house won't be happening.

What do you mean by FLL? Like the airport? It's ok, though I prefer MIA. If you meant the city of Ft. Lauderdale, it's great if you're young and there's cool parts with houses like Sailboat Bend and near the water. I'm not sure about the schools there though. Out west near Weston is probably the best in terms of that. Or Coral Springs/Tamarac. Then again, if you've seen "Bully" who knows.
    Hi Matt
    yes, FLL was Ft Lauderdale in general, I just used airport code instead, I dont really mean by the airport but rather the city as a whole..
    that is a great video ' you will need to book with another agency I dont want to be part of a suicide'..
    If Boca is NJ south I want no part of it.LOL
    You mention Weston, I've read good things about that area I'll give it a look..thanks!
    Boring Jupiter isnt all that bad sounding, I've been to NYC constantly,partied out there many times in the 80's and 90's( i'm 46) I work on rt 3 next to Metlife Stadium, been doing that commute for 19 years now..honestly I'm kind of bored of that ...I live in the mountains in Ringwood, Nj..quiet.peaceful.we see bears every day during the summer.every.day...its the rat race , weather, taxes, and fellow residents that drive people out of nj..
    Maybe Delray, Deerfield Beach are a nice compromise? you've mentioned Aventura, Sunny Isles, Brickell in terms of Miami area..might need to look at these as well!

Do you want a house or condo for the $400k? That's the big deciding question the further down you move. Windermere in Orlando is great and you'll get a house there. Jupiter, probably as well. I love North Palm Beach / South Jupiter. To me, that really is 'laid back' south florida with great little restaurants as well as chains & malls near by and lots of boating culture. Juno Beach is South of Jupiter and is probably a little cheaper and less snobbier than Jupiter (I think MJ bought a gigantic house there after Tiger Woods wife blew up their home due to 'termites'?)

Ft. Lauderdale is great. You won't get a house in or around Las Olas for $400k but it would be close. Some adorable cottage houses in the streets behind Roccos Tacos on Las Olas that I would love to own. Weston is a suburb and its lots of chain restaurants and shops, no real culture in my opinion, but great schools yes. Key Biscayne like Matt said is very expensive. I'm guessing Key Rat means you live on the Key and are a spoiled rat/brat.

Taxes are much better in Florida as I'm sure you know with no state income tax. Property taxes go up the further south you go with Miami Dade being higher than FLL than PBC, etc.

Sunny Isles is all condos but there are some pockets of housing left that are $500k or so and not on the water. Huge Russian population there and many billionaires buying up the ridiculous condos going up (see: Porche Design Tower).

My wife & I are both Real Estate Agents and we cover Miami Dade all the way up to Orlando including the east coast, so if you want to see what properties cost in various areas, let me know and I'll send you them from the various MLS boards we are apart of.

Hope this helps!

New User

Hi All,

I am originally from outside of Boston, and now live in midtown Atlanta (where I am dead center in the middle of everything and its amazing). I have been interviewing for a gig in Fort Lauderdale - and was wondering what the best areas to move as a single 40 y/o woman? I am very social, active and want to be in an area where you can walk to stuff and close to the water.

After reading these threads I think Los Olas is a great place for me to look. It looks like a great place. However, I was wondering about Pompano Beach? I dont want boring...

Ive never been to the east coast side of Florida, Ive always gone gulf coast.

Any info on Pompano Beach would be great. I am flying down Mon/Tue for an onsite meet and greet (already have gone thru 6 phone interviews) .. so going to look around on Monday and 1/2 of Tuesday.

Thanks in advance!
    -Michelle

I think most would agree that Pompano is boring. Las Olas is the most active part of Ft. Lauderdale as well as FTL Beach. Downtown Hollywood might be a good 2nd option if you don't mind the commute. if you love water, I would move to a waterfront building off Las Olas or off a small street in FTL Beach.

I wouldn't recommend the Hallandale area or Dania Beach either.

let me know if you have questions on these places and I can send you what's available so you can compare & contrast the two cities.

Good luck on the interview!

Pompano is actually doing a ton of stuff to de-boringify itself. I think in 3-5 years it's actually going to be a fun spot. They've got a huge beach and a great park by it. As of right now, no, it's not thrilling. But give it some time. MIGHT be a good place to buy.

If you don't mind a drive (not much traffic, just a lot of miles) Delray Beach would probably be the ideal spot for you. The 40+ singly crowd is much more prevalent in Delray than in Las Olas. I like Las Olas, but it's def a twentysomething crowd there. If you like that kind of thing.

Hollywood is definitely a fun spot, very laid back.

I wouldn't live in Broward or Palm Beach if I was paid. It's suburban suburbs (as should be) with nothing to little to do. I could only recommend it if you want suburban suburbs, won't drive to the city ever, don't mind the commute to the city and/or what they offer is enough "fun" and "things to do" for you.

If not, then move to the city or the Beach. If you don't want that then move to a suburb that is very near the city or Beach like Coral Gables, South Miami, etc.

I gotta disagree. Downtown Ft. Lauderdale has a nice, small city feel to it, and is pretty much all the great things about Miami without all the crappy parts. Like, how I guess anyway, Miami was 30-40 years ago. But nothing "suburban" at all about that area, or FtL Beach for that matter.

FTL Beach has a party atmosphere most of the year.

Downtown FT has a nice young scene to it and places like Roccos get packed Thurs-Sun evenings.

nothing suburban about downtown FTL or Las Olas. You must be thinking of west Broward like Weston, Davie, etc. which are very suburban.

Downtown FTL is no Chicago or NYC but its no suburb either
    Casimia likes this.

New User

Question for you guys ( I actualy joined this site after reading how helpful Matt Meltzer and Marc Middleton were!).
    My fiance and I are moving to Ft. Lauderdale with his promotion in MetLife in April. He moved from NY to southern CA (where he met me <3) and we relocated to Charlotte, NC for MetLife and BOOM, 7 months later, we are moving again. Here is my dilemma:

We have 2 mastiffs.. An Italian Mastiff (Cane Corse) who is CGC certified and a big baby and a French Mastiff (Dogue De Bordeaux) who is training to be CGC certified and a lazy mush They are equal to being our kids.. So my question is, how "pet friendly" is Ft. Lauderdale? Or really the surrounding 'towns'? I have been to Fort Lauderdale a few years ago but obviously didnt pay attention too closely.

I am 26 and my fiance is 30 and we are a Zach Brown kind of couple. He will be traveling a lot for work so I want to live in a safe community, but some where I can take the boys for a walk and not be afraid if I turn down the wrong street hahaha! Like all cities I am sure there are sketchy places any where.. But your suggestions will be much appreciated!

Also, are there dog beaches around there? We had a few in Cali and my boys love the beach..

Quote Originally Posted by Casimia View Post
    Question for you guys ( I actualy joined this site after reading how helpful Matt Meltzer and Marc Middleton were!).
    Why thank you for the kind words!

Regarding your dogs, I don't know of any buildings in Miami/ Broward/Palm beach that would allow them. It would have to be a condo building that doesn't have a dog weight requirement, just a two pet requirement. I don't think even the Flamingo would allow them.

Your best option is to find a House or a town-home with a small or non-existent HOA. Otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy looking for a condo building that would allow them. Maybe if you got lucky and met someone who knew of a building or lived in a building that allowed them, then we could focus on that particular building and hope the landlord doesn't mind :-)

As far as Dog Beaches, Key Biscayne has a dog friendly beach. The water is very shallow so most people don't swim and its right off the causeway between the bridge and hotel area.
    Juno Beach in North Palm Beach is also a big dog beach area. We would take our dog there often as would my friend who had a Boxer.

What is your budget and what size home are you looking to rent? Are you needing to be near the beach some where? That would make a big difference as well.

Hope this helps!

New User

We were looking for a 3 bdrm and 2 bath, or a 2 bdrm and 2 bath if they had an area for a home office. We were looking for a home, not really a condo. We are a budget between $2,000 and $2,500 .. I would be willing to live a little further away from the beach if the boys had a yard. Which I am sure, as any beach community, yards are not common in beach homes.

We are looking around Plantation and Sunrise, are those "safe" areas? We would basically need to stay around 20 minutes from down town Ft. Lauderdale because he needs to be close to his biggest client.

Anything helps

Quote Originally Posted by Casimia View Post
    We were looking for a 3 bdrm and 2 bath, or a 2 bdrm and 2 bath if they had an area for a home office. We were looking for a home, not really a condo. We are a budget between $2,000 and $2,500 .. I would be willing to live a little further away from the beach if the boys had a yard. Which I am sure, as any beach community, yards are not common in beach homes.

We are looking around Plantation and Sunrise, are those "safe" areas? We would basically need to stay around 20 minutes from down town Ft. Lauderdale because he needs to be close to his biggest client.

Anything helps
    I actually have another client relocating to the Plantation area, how ironic!

Plantation is a family friendly suburb, not a sketchy area by any means. GoogleMaps has the drive at 15 mintues but for a 9 to 5 job, going up and down Broward Blvd to Plantation can take a while. I don't think 20 minutes is realistic for that in traffic times.

A house in Hollywood or Dania Beach could work for that as well as keep you close to I-95 & US-1 depending on where his client is. You don't necessarily have to live out west, you just get more for your money is all. But there are plenty of $2500 and under homes in the Hollywood area close to Young Circle where the bars and restaurants are.

You can send me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll email you the various homes for rent in these areas that allow pets and you can decide from there. The only thing is finding an owner that will allow the 2 huge dogs :-)

Plantation has some parts that are GHET-THO. So be careful up there. Most of it is suburban, yes. But remember, this is where Michael Irvin is from. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Sunrise is mad far from downtown. I'd suggest staying away from there as it's a long commute and there won't be much to do on your off days other than go to the mall and hockey games.

And for the love of God, don't think for a second about moving to Miami. if you're a Zac Brown kind of couple it will be Hell on Earth.

Sailboat Bend is probably the #1 area I recommend for small families in Broward. Very tucked away, very cool (righto n a bunch of canals) and like 5 minutes from downtown Ft. Lauderdale. Houses are smaller but it allows you to avoid the commute into downtown Ft. Lauderdale, and is definitely safe and a great place to walk your dogs. If you can find anything there, go for it.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    You don't necessarily have to live out west, you just get more for your money is all.:-)
    Actually, I've found the opposite to be true that suburbs like Weston, Plantation, Pembroke Pines etc are all a little more expensive because the schools are so much better than the downtown Fort Lauderdale area.

Quote Originally Posted by FredTheCatTravels View Post
    Actually, I've found the opposite to be true that suburbs like Weston, Plantation, Pembroke Pines etc are all a little more expensive because the schools are so much better than the downtown Fort Lauderdale area.
    Really?

Just searched the MLS....

There are 12 different 2 Bedrooms for rent 'near' and 'in' downtown Ft. Lauderdale for $1500 or less, half of which are 2 bedroom 1 bathroom. There are 30 in Plantation (mostly 2/2) and 60 in Pembroke Pines.

'nuff said ;-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast