Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default 'Fixer-Upper' homes around Miami Beach

Hi there Peeps,

My wife, son, 2 dogs and I are planning on relocating from Prague to Miami in July, pending the sale of our apartment here in CZ. We'll be looking for a 'fixer upper' single family home for under $200,000 in Miami Beach. The state of the property isn't too important as long as it has 'good bones'. Are these handyman kind of places snapped up pretty quickly and hard to come by? Is there a specialized realtor that deals with these kind of properties?

Thanks in advance

Tom
    Last edited by Jess; 03-10-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Re Titled

You are more likely to find a condo for under $200,000. I searched realtor.com for all MLS listings of single family homes in Miami Beach, and there are only four listings:

Miami Beach real estate & Miami Beach homes for sale | Single family homes - REALTOR.com®

Perhaps you should try other cheaper areas in the Miami metro area, rather than Miami Beach. If you are set on Miami Beach, there's a selection of condos to choose from. Maybe you might be able to find a cheap foreclosure or short sale for under 200K? You should engage a realtor.

Quote Originally Posted by swordnosepreedletot View Post
    Hi there Peeps,

My wife, son, 2 dogs and I are planning on relocating from Prague to Miami in July, pending the sale of our apartment here in CZ. We'll be looking for a 'fixer upper' single family home for under $200,000 in Miami Beach. The state of the property isn't too important as long as it has 'good bones'. Are these handyman kind of places snapped up pretty quickly and hard to come by? Is there a specialized realtor that deals with these kind of properties?

Thanks in advance

Tom

New User

Maybe I was naive in thinking I was going to be bombarded by realtors offering me houses at knock-off prices. The link you provided was dead unfortunately, but from looking around on zillow/trulia I have managed to find a few houses for around $200,000, be them foreclosures:

1552 Marseille Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33141 - Zillow
    Photos for 1610 Biarritz Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33141 - Zillow

Not sure if these are considered 'the beach' or not. I've written a few realtors, but they've yet to respond. So if you're a realtor reading this and you having something within the parameters I've mentioned, please contact me via here/email.

Thanks

Hi swordnose, welcome to the forums!

The addresses you list above are in Normandy Isle, which is technically part of the City of Miami Beach but not the "trendy" area.

Have you been to Miami Beach before? I would suggest you reconnoiter the neighborhoods before buying. Normandy Isle is ok but can be somewhat run down, depending on the street.

You will find more single family homes in the mid-beach area than in South Beach. For the most part, the homes along North Bay Road, La Gorce Drive and Alton Road are very upscale; some of them are serious mansions, especially along the water. I have a hard time imagining you'd find a fixer upper around there at that price.

But other areas you might consider would be mid-beach proper (23rd street to 41st, east of the golf course) and the Venetian Causeway. Also, there's North Bay Village and Surfside.

Most of the single family homes in South Beach proper are near or around Flamingo Park.

I recommend Ines from Miamism.com. She could help you or direct you to a good realtor. Visit her website. The phone number is published there.

Also, Miami has many wonderful little neighborhood areas. I don't know if school is an issue for you or if you plan on commuting, but that is another thing to consider. Miami Beach is overrated in my opinion. You can get way more bang for your buck in other parts of Miami-Dade county that are pleasant to live in with good quality of life, ie, South Miami, Palmetto Bay, The Roads, Miami Shores etc;

Anyway, as far as Miami Beach goes, this map could be helpful: Miami Beach Map - Google Maps

I took a look at your links. Keep in mind that many of the short sales and foreclosures frequently advertise at inexpensive teaser prices to elicit bids. You may look at a price and say, "Wow, what an incredible deal," but even in this depressed market, if it seems much too good to be true, it probably is. With careful research and patience, there are bargains to be had.

I'm finally approaching closing on a foreclosed condo in South Beach, but I've been looking for over a year, and I had several purchases fall through. Also in my case, the bank's asking price was artificially low, but I was still able to win the bidding process at what I consider a bargain price.

In the foreclosure and short sale market, cash is king, and some offerings are cash only. Good luck with your search and let us know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by swordnosepreedletot View Post
    Maybe I was naive in thinking I was going to be bombarded by realtors offering me houses at knock-off prices. The link you provided was dead unfortunately, but from looking around on zillow/trulia I have managed to find a few houses for around $200,000, be them foreclosures:

1552 Marseille Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33141 - Zillow
    Photos for 1610 Biarritz Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33141 - Zillow

Not sure if these are considered 'the beach' or not. I've written a few realtors, but they've yet to respond. So if you're a realtor reading this and you having something within the parameters I've mentioned, please contact me via here/email.

Thanks

New User

Thanks for the info there guys, some great insight there I greatly appreciate it. I'm probably too hung up about this utopic fantasy I have in my head of being steps from the beach.

I've never lived in the States before, let alone Miami, but after 8 years in the Czech Republic I'm pretty sure we can take whatever Miami has to throw at us . We'll definitely look in to the places you mentioned Maria, thanks.

Rotterdam, thanks for the tips about 'teaser bids'. The same kind of thing goes on here (and possibly everywhere else for that matter). We will be cash buyers so I hope this may eliminate some of the frustrations. Good luck with the closing!

Cheers!