Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Working in Coral Gables and living in Brickell?

This forum rocks. I'm very excited about my upcoming move to Miami. I'll be working in Coral Gables, a block south of Miracle Mile on Douglas Ave and am unsure about where to live. I love Coral Gables, and know it would be so convenient to just live next to work, but part of me really wants to live in Brickell. I would love to wake up with a nice view of the bay out of my bedroom window, and I feel like I'd be more central, as I would like to have easier access to Sobe, and my sisters who live in Broward county. I feel like if I both lived and worked in Coral Gables I'd have a hard time crossing the psychological and physical barrier of US-1. I'll be working a 8-5, M-F job.

I'm willing to go up to $2000/month for a nice place, but would prefer to stay around $1500 (I'm a single male). I want a nice building, good amenities, a good view of the bay, and don't care about being close to the center of the party.

1) So here are my questions.... how would the commute be from Brickell to Coral Gables (I'm assuming it's against traffic). How long, for example, would it take for me to get from 500 Brickell to the Barnes and Nobles on Miracle Mile during peak travel times?

2) Should I consider Coconut Grove?

3) Any recommendations on buildings in Brickell with great views, and relatively walkable to a few things

4) How do I find a good condo... I've been very unimpressed with the apt listings in Miami craigslist... it's 97% flooded by realtors who keep listing the same properties, without actual pictures of the units they are advertising. It's very annoying

5) How long would the commute be from South Beach to Coral Gables? Would this be a feasible place to live? (sorry for all the questions)
    Last edited by Noturavg; 04-09-2010 at 04:23 AM.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, Noturavg, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for posting your questions here.

After spending a lot of time, hanging out with Carlos Miller at his pad on Coral Way, I've decided the Coral Gables area is my new favorite place to live. The area is affordable, centrally located and has tons of good places to eat and shop.

Allow me to answer some of your questions...

1) So here are my questions.... how would the commute be from Brickell to Coral Gables (I'm assuming it's against traffic). How long, for example, would it take for me to get from 500 Brickell to the Barnes and Nobles on Miracle Mile during peak travel times?
    Surface streets are the probably the most convenient way to get travel from the Gables to Brickell. I'd say the commute would take around 25 minutes during rush hour.

2) Should I consider Coconut Grove?
    Sure. The Grove is a little closer to Brickell. Everyone I know who lives there seems to enjoy it and take pride living there. For more info about what it's like, check out, Coconut Grove Grapevine

5) How long would the commute be from South Beach to Coral Gables? Would this be a feasible place to live? (sorry for all the questions)
    Yes, it's definitely feasible to commute to and from South beach. The drive would take about 35 minutes.

As far as finding a place to live, you should also use Facebook.

Where are you moving from?

I gotta respectfully disagree with Gus. Surface streets have lights and are a nightmare some days. Miami drivers are complete shit. Take the Dolphin Expressway west and you can get from Brickell to the Gables in 20 minutes. You can make it from South Beach to the Gables in under half an hour via the same route.

That being said, the Beach will probably be more expensive AND further away from your job. Also, it can take a long time to get the the freeway, depending where you move in the beach. And the traffic getting on and off the island can be horrendous on some days. You are way better off moving to Brickell as you'll get more for your money and have a more convenient location.

The Grove seems to be fading, but if more people start moving in it may come back. We shall see.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I gotta respectfully disagree with Gus. Surface streets have lights and are a nightmare some days. Miami drivers are complete shit.
    Matt, you're such a pessimist about this "driving in Miami-thing".

What are you saying, that's it's gonna take 35 minutes to drive from Brickell to the the Gables, as opposed to 25 minutes?

I drove through Brickell at 1:30pm today and there was no traffic.

And if you know a back road, or two to get near where Carlos lives, you're golden.

I'm sure you know the shortcuts to take, but you're just being stingy and not sharing.

New User

Thanks a lot for your advice. I'm actually moving from Tampa. Grew up in Orlando, went to college/med school in Philly/NJ, and have been in Tampa for the last 3 years. Can't wait to live close to beautiful beaches, sip good cafe con leche in the morning, and have the keys accessible for a weekend trip. I think I'll try to find a 6m rental in Brickell, and if the traffic kills me, I'll consider moving to the grove. Or if the traffic seems manageable I may even consider SB. But thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Matt, you're such a pessimist about this "driving in Miami-thing".

What are you saying, that's it's gonna take 35 minutes to drive from Brickell to the the Gables, as opposed to 25 minutes?

I drove through Brickell at 1:30pm today and there was no traffic.

And if you know a back road, or two to get near where Carlos lives, you're golden.

I'm sure you know the shortcuts to take, but you're just being stingy and not sharing.

I live on Coral Way just five blocks east of Coral Gables, meaning I can walk there if I want and I do often as I did during St. Patrick's Day at John Martins.

My area is very centrally located. If I want to drive to downtown, I just get on Coral Way and it takes about 15-30 minutes depending on traffic. I could also park my car at the Coconut Grove Metrorail Station and just hop on the train.

If you lived inside the gables, you can even take a trolley to the metrorail station, which would take you to downtown.

Everybody here always recommends either Gables, Brickell or the Beach, but nobody ever says anything about the Coral Way Corridor, which is what connects Brickell to the Gables.

That's where you have a bunch of new buildings and new businesses, including bars, restaurants and stores.

In my neighborhood, I can walk to my mechanic, my barber, by bank, dry cleaner, liquor stores, post office, stationary story, grocery store, restaurants, stores and shops all within a five-block radius from my building. Hell, I even have a gay club attended by drag queens if I ever get the urge to lust over men dressed as women. That probably won't happen any time soon, but the option is always there.

I just avoid streets if at all possible. I think everyone has their different methods of dealing with traffic here. And the Grove-to-Gables can be worse than going from Brickell if you're going from the wrong part to another wrong part.

New User

Default Coral Way?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I just avoid streets if at all possible. I think everyone has their different methods of dealing with traffic here. And the Grove-to-Gables can be worse than going from Brickell if you're going from the wrong part to another wrong part.
    Coral way sounds like a nice alternative to Brickell. Where is this and where do you recommend for someone by themselves to be able to walk to everything?

Coral Way, or at least I think the area Carlos is talking about, Is SW 13th St, at Brickell and goes west, then southwest, then west again as SW 22nd St, then SW 24th St all the way to about SW 37th Ave., where it really turns into Coral Gables. I'm not sure what the best part of it to live for walkability is, but Carlos could probably answer that.