Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default 36yr old single chemist moving to Miami in need of housing advice

I will be moving to Miami in June for a job in Doral and could use advice on where to live that would be good for a single professional and still walking distance to shops and groceries.

On top of it all, my budget is a measly $1250

Thanks!

PS I have a 40 pound doggie
    Last edited by txag95; 04-11-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, txag95, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for posting your question here. I see you're in San Diego... that's where I'm from, Encinitas, to be exact.

How soon are you moving to Miami?

Seems like you'll be able to find a nice one-bedroom for around $1250.

What time of day will you be commuting to/from work? If you working off hours, I suggest living on the beach. If you're working 9 to 5, somewhere along the Coral Way Corridor would be convenient. You can read about the Coral Way Corridor neighborhood here.

Hope this helps.

New User

Gus,
    I have been living in Coronado for the last 10 years So you can see why I looked in SoBe first, but the prices are pretty high and I am not sure I want to live in a tiny apt (crap hole). Also, finding one that takes a pet is just as bad as in Nado

I will be working for the govt just across from the country club in Doral. NW 84th near 52nd. I am not sure of the exact time, but most likely 8-4:30..

I am used to being able to walk everywhere on the weekends and would like to still do that, but not sure I can in Miami with the budget I am on. (I would LOVE to stay at $1k so I can do something besides sit in my apt, but after living in SD, I know could put that money into an apt and be at $1250 with no spending money

thanks for all your help!

Wendy

Wendy,

Doral is mostly suburban, made for families. The address you mention is a business park area. Doral is also pretty far from Miami Beach, Downtown, coconut Grove and other more centric areas. Doral doesn't seem lke a walkable place, in my opinion. Doral might be more affordable than the Beach areas, especially South Beach, albeit less fun. If you in an area far away from your job, keep in mind that Miami traffic is hell.

Hi Wendy! Welcome to the forums.

South Miami would be another alternative for you but it all depends on how much you'd be willing to put up with traffic. I'm not sure what the traffic patterns are on the Palmetto Expressway, which is what you'd probably taking from South Miami to get to work. I know it can be hell during rush hour but not sure about the hours in between, let's say leaving way before 9. Usually when I drive on it it's on the weekends or during non-rush hours.

The reason I'm focusing on traffic first is because I'm a big believer in not spending one's life stuck in a car! Miami traffic can be hell. My first piece of advice would be find the neighborhood you want to live in and then drive back and forth at peak rush hours. That is what you would have to do every work day.

That being said, downtown South Miami is a wonderful neighborhood where you can walk to EVERYTHING. It is safe for a single woman (I'm in the same boat - 42 years old) and affords a quality lifestyle with nice bars, restaurants, cafés, markets, little shops and even a mall with a gym, movies, etc; I think you should be able to find an apartment around here at that price range but unfortunately it's slim pickings. If you do start looking, inquire about anything as close to "Sunset Place" as possible. There are lo-rise buildings around here, not fancy condos, that would maybe take dogs at 40 lbs.

If you're interested, let me know. I'll pay special attention to any for rent signs in the area.

Hope this helps!

New User

Maria,
    Thanks for the advice. Not being familiar with the area, where IS downtown South Miami? How would you compare the are to Brickell or The Roads area?

Thanks for all the help
    Wendy

Wendy - take a look at this map - it's roughly southeast of US1 where "Sunset Place" and all immediately surrounding areas (east of US1). That part of South Miami borders on Coral Gables. There are a number of apartments just north of there around the Publix. The University of Miami is a stone's throw away. This also makes it a nicer community. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.019784&z=16

Brickell is nice but it doesn't have all the stuff that downtown South Miami does, unless maybe you live around Mary Brickell Village. The Roads is more residential.

New User

Thanks so much for the help. What would you think of the Normandy area? Is it safe to walk and are there things to walk TO?

THanks
    Wendy

Hi Wendy,

The Normandy Isle area is within walking distance to some restaurants and not too far from the beach. I wouldn't consider the area "unsafe". I consider Normandy Isle and the area a little farther North on Collins, "Little Argentina".

I lived in North Bay Village, just West of Normandy Isle, and enjoyed its proximity to South Beach and North Beach. The only thing it is not close to is the highways, which can make commuting a hassle.

Hi Wendy,

Our forum member DCtoMIA recently moved there. Take a look at this thread: http://forums.miamibeach411.com/relo...questions.html (Just skip all the posts about internet access -- he does talk about life there.)

It's not my favorite neighborhood for a single gal but I don't think it's that bad either, just depends on the block you're on and the condition of the apartment.