Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default I need help finding a job with my J1 visa

Hi all, I am student from Slovakia(small state in the heart of Europe ) and I am looking for a summer job in Florida. I have also achieved j1visa. Could you help me, where is a good place to find a job?Is it Miami summer destination?It is hard to find a job in Miami?
    thx very much
    Last edited by Jess; 04-14-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: re titled

Hi Lucinda, welcome to 411.

I moved your post to relocating and living as that is what you will shortly be doing

Can you tell me what type of visa a J1 visa is? Does it allow you to work anywhere? O is it for specific fields?

New User

Hi Jess, thank you for moving my post
    This type of visa allow to work enywhere in USA.I prefer a Florida for nice beaches and hot weather...

Wow, congrats on being sensible enough to get a visa before landing in the USA for work!

So to get this straight, you can work anywhere? It isn't a student visa?

If that's the case, what type of work are you looking for, and we can point you in the right direction. Miami Beach is a tourist town so 90% of the jobs are in the service industry, be it hotels or restaurants, but the mainland has regular professional jobs.

New User

THX
    Yes, it is a student (work) visa. On USA ambasady said me, that it is on me, where I will go for working...My friends were on Florida last year, and they were satisfied. I looking for a job in restaurant or hotel(it can be also house keeping or something similiar).I will come to Miami about 25 june a I have to find my job until two weaks after departure...Do you thing it is real?

My friend had a similar student visa for the tourist industry and she also had to get the job before leaving the UK. She ended up working at one of the big hotels on Collins Ave on reception for the year and really enjoyed it. I think she just went to their website and interviewed over the phone. So check out the hotel openings on their websites. And good luck!

rk

A J (or J-1) visa is what is called an "exchange visitor" visa. Normally it is used for academic scholars (scientists e.g.) to allow them to work for 1 or 2 years at the sponsoring organization (e.g. a University). It is different than a student visa in that you can work for the duration of your stay. However, a J visa is normally only issued when you first have a sponsor in your area of study. As far as I know you are supposed to work with your sponsor, not just anywhere, except in cases where exemptions are granted. It is also harder to extend or convert a J visa to any other type.

Are you saying that you were issued a J-1 visa even though there was no one to sponsor you? That is highly unusual.

The following link has more info on the J visa:

Exchange Visitors

New User

Thank you Jess, I will try to look at their website...I hope to finding some job
    AND rk, thank you for you information.I have a sponzor, it is Student agency, but they didnīt find me a job, so now, I have to finding alone...

Quote Originally Posted by lucinda View Post
    THX
    Yes, it is a student (work) visa. On USA ambasady said me, that it is on me, where I will go for working...My friends were on Florida last year, and they were satisfied. I looking for a job in restaurant or hotel(it can be also house keeping or something similiar).I will come to Miami about 25 june a I have to find my job until two weaks after departure...Do you thing it is real?
    Hi Lucinda! Congrats on getting your visa! How long was the process? Since you're open to working in the restaurant as well as hotel industry and even open to housekeeping you should be able to find work within 2 weeks. Here's what I'd do before you arrive: Prepare a resume for the service industry and one for the hotel. As soon as you have your Miami address go ahead and add that. I would include your photo on the resume. This way when a manager is flipping through a stack he'll remember you.

Put on a nice outfit and then stroll past all the hotels on Collins and Ocean passing out your resumes..try to ask for the manager and hand it directly to them. And then do the same for restaurants (all along Lincoln and then Ocean). This is exactly what I did and I ended up with a hostess position. Be sure to budget money for comfy shoes!

Here's an article I wrote about working in the Miami service industry:

6 Good Tips For Working In Restaurants and Bars - Miami Beach 411

New User

Dear Sungal, thank you very much for your answer and advices I will try everything...
    The process for my visa was about one month.
    bye