Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Can't wait for Summer. The hotter the better... and yes, the snow birds are gone.

Wink

Hey watch what you say about snow birds! We don't trash the place; vomit in the streets; drive erratically; default on our mortgages (I hope); and we add a little balance to the low average age here. Besides, there are really very few of us in Miami Beach, most snow birds have relocated to areas further north leaving the amazing life here for those few of us who appreciate the pace, the life and frankly the views, of the architecture, the beaches and water, and frankly the people. The people watching is the best, especially for snow birds who can smile and remember when they were also young.

Default Remember this past winter!

Quote Originally Posted by sungal View Post
    When you open your door to go out at night, the air just smacks you in the face. It's as if you opened the door to a a sauna. Sometimes when I'm out in the summer I look around at everyone standing there as if they're comfortable. I feel sorry for the guys in jeans..at least girls can wear next to nothing. A good idea would be a night time pool party! Why don't we have that?

Also, once in a while you get a day that is just unbearable and you can't be out more than 5 min. It's the equivalent to a snowstorm where you have to stay in all day.
    After a really cold winter for Miami the heat feels good!

Nothing personal. Some good friends are snow birds and even a few snow flakes too. Ya, it's a bigger issue up state than sobe I imagine, but it is a relief not to have to wait 30 minutes at my favorite chop house.

well it's a balmy 50 degrees in manhattan so even face smacking heat sounds good right now.. it's been suuuuch a long cold winter here.. leaving the ARCTIC ladies and gents and gonna definitely hold you to that summer nite pool party sungal and all you miamians !

New User

This is such an interesting thread to me personally. I left Miami when I was 17, went away to college (Michigan) and then moved to NYC for 4 years. I have been back in Miami now for 8+ years and I can't STAND it anymore!! I am seriously considering moving BACK to NYC. I may give Ftl or Wpb a try before leaving Florida altogether though. Elli, your comments on the long work hours, long winters and stress have brought up some old bad memories for me that I had conveniently locked away. Now I'm even more confused than ever! Lol. Oh boy. I thought NYC was definitely the answer but if it was so perfect in the first place - why did I leave?? Yvette

Yvette, we agreed on this thread that every experience is very personal.. so what to some may feel like hell, to other may be just what they need.. yes, ask yourself why you left NYC, maybe there will be an answer there but then again this was a long time ago for you, over 8 years so maybe your priorities have changed.. to me NYC is a big energy and money sucker, takes is all out of you .. i don't have time for much social life and every time i do find a moment it's always the same sh*t and frankly NY is not all that international.. new yorkers are all the same - always the something to prove attitude, it gets exhausting.. subways in the morning are a nightmare - this morning we were stuck in a subway car for 30 minutes because there were signal issues or whatever and the conductor chimed in every 2 minutes to tell us we ain't moving and thank us for our patience and cooperation.. oh yes, new yorkers can be very polite too when they give you bad news..

New User

If I think hard enough I can remember the stress I felt while living there but then I relate it to my job (I was in consulting) rather than the city itself. I enjoyed the fast pace and efficiency of the city (subway hiccups aside). The primary reasons I left were craving warm weather and missing my family. Those are the ONLY two things keeping me in South Florida now.

I am 100% DEFINITELY leaving Miami as soon as I sell my condo (on South Beach) and find a new job in either Broward or NYC. I was born and raised in Miami and have spent the last almost 9 years in Coral Gables, Kendall and South Beach so I can give you a pretty decent rundown on why itís so horrible. Oh. Iím sorry. I mean the ďpros and consĒÖ.

Pros: Other than hurricanes (which weíre expecting to have many of this season), the weather is generally nice year round. This has many positive side effects including making it easier to exercise outside, be active, enjoy the city, BBQ, beach, fish, pool, etc. I lived up north for almost 10 years and hated being outside from Nov-March.

Itís nice to have the ocean nearby. There are very pretty beaches in Florida (though not necessarily in Miami). Also, I like fishing so I try to get out when I can. Florida has great fishing.

Cons: Iíll start with nature again. Other than beaches, there really isnít much more nature to enjoy here. There are NO decent parks to speak of, maybe a few cute small ones but nothing big enough to really enjoy jogging/hiking in. Tropical Park has lots of sketchy characters in it and itís not pretty at all. My condo is located directly across from Flamingo Park. Itís very small and also has its share of weirdos and scummy people. Oleta River Park is big but rundown. I havenít been to the Everglades since I was like 11 so I canít really comment on it but letís not kid ourselves Ė itís just a fancy swamp. I was in California a few months ago and went for the best hike ever in Malibu Creek State Park. You just canít find that in Miami. When I lived in NYC I pretty much lived in Central Park every weekend because I needed that connection with nature.

For me, the WORST part of Miami is the people - uneducated, uncultured, ignorant, rude, arrogant, superficial, shallow and pretty much stupid. Most of the people here have never left which adds to the frustration given that many here very arrogantly think the city is so great and so diverse, when it couldnít be less so.

I will preface the next comment by saying that Iím Hispanic. You would think that a big city like Miami would be very metropolitan, filled with people from all walks of life and culturally diverseÖnot true. Miami is comprised mostly of Hispanics. I, personally, enjoy learning about other cultures and socializing with different types of people. I find it interesting and enriching. I rarely have the opportunity to do that here. The ďdifferentĒ people I have met are either tourists or transients who leave as soon as they learn what this city is really all about. Also, good luck going to certain places in the city if you donít speak Spanish. I speak Spanish and I STILL get frustrated because I donít like conducting business in Spanish. Many times, I donít have much of a choice here.

There is no history or tradition here. This is forgivable given that Miami is a relatively young city. Besides NY, I also spent a few summers in Boston and Chicago and there is no comparison. Inhabitants of those cities are proud of their city, they have family histories there, they have a sincere love for their city, old establishments, sports teams, etc. In Miami, if youíre not wearing the latest thing, or have the best body or driving the best car, youíre looked down upon. People donít care about what you have to say or substance, itís ALL superficial. Thatís part of the reason the economy here is STILL so terrible. People were just buying/renting high status housing and cars to be the coolest.

Yes, the summers are unbearably hot but I find the winters up north unbearably cold which leaves you with this Goldilocks syndrome and you realize that the best weather is somewhere in the middle Ė but who wants to live in the middle?

Everyone is slow and inefficient. That bothers me tremendously. Also, no one knows how to drive or is courteous. Apparently, it must be against Florida law to use turning signals because no one uses them.

Coming from Manhattan, good luck NOT being bored in either Coral Gables or Coconut Grove. Yes, theyíre pretty but also very, very small. Not much to do. Thatís why I bought a place on the beach. I didnít realize the beach was full of weirdos. Oh well. Live and learn.

I could go on and on with the ďConsĒ list but I think you get the picture. I donít know too much about Ft. Lauderdale but I may give it a try. The people seem more laid-back and less shallow. Iím going to do some investigative reporting in the weeks to come to help me make my decision. Lol. I also have a trip to NYC planned in May to see how I feel about being back there again. Weíll see!

Good luck to both of us!

Yvette

So long, Yvette. May you find what you're looking for.

As a native who left Miami feeling like you did, only to return ten years later, I have come to accept my city for what it is and I'm determined to make it better.

Those other cities you mentioned became that way because people who truly cared about them put their souls into them.

Obviously, you expect other people to put their souls into the city before you can accept it.

In many ways, that is what makes you a true Miamian.

rk

Yvette, very interesting post. Obviously you know Miami better than most people so I won't comment on that. In fact I agree with a lot of what you said. My comment is about which place you think you could find better if you do move, and this really applies to anyone, not just you.

The basic truth is this: the place does not really matter, it is people that matter. Barring special circumstance such as health concerns, you are most likely to be happy when you are around people that you get along with. This often starts with work, so if you can find a job you like, and you have happy and helpful co-workers, you will like that place, otherwise not. Things like weather, culture diversity, horses, nature etc. are meaningful only if the people requirement is met. If you don't get along with the people you meet most often (or vice versa) then the place is irrelevant. So I would advise you to not rule out any place simply because of something about it, such as location or weather. Look instead for a place that has a job you could love, and co-workers you can get along with. I always find it a strange how many people post here that they are moving to Miami because they "love Miami" when what they really mean is they love the weather, the ocean, the buildings, or the clubs, and they don't even know anyone, and don't have a job. None of this is important if they neglect to consider whether they love the people or their work. Miami is nothing more nor less than the people who live in Miami.

Anyway, interesting post, and good luck to you.

RK,

You are right. When I left Miami after college, I was frustrated because I thought everybody to be superficial.

When I returned to Miami ten years later, I made a concerted effort to find people like me. And I was successful.

It's true that Miami is filled with superficial people, but I don't hang out with them. The people I hang out with are very down to earth, including the people from MB 411.

And every time I go out, I meet new people who are just as down to earth. It's funny because now I wonder where all the superficial people are.

They're still around. I'm just not drawn to them. And they're not drawn to me. And we co-exist very peacefully.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    It's funny because now I wonder where all the superficial people are.

They're still around. I'm just not drawn to them. And they're not drawn to me. And we co-exist very peacefully.
    Carlos, so true. Someone much wiser than me said this:

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

Talking Pleasant Peninsula

Yvette,

I also spent four years in Michigan. As you may recall, the state motto there is 'if you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you.'

I enjoy NYC and am from Chicago. I can certainly see your frustrations with miami (even though Carlos thinks I'm still in my honeymoon period), but caution you all places have such nuisances. Your opinions, which from a miami beach 411 perspective I'd like to call "Meltzarian" (in honor of matt meltzer who, interestingly seems to share many of your opinions) and frank perspectives are appreciated by a newbie like me and I appreciate your sharing them!

I have been fortunate to find wonderful people in town to hang out with (the great people from this site) and interestingly, about a dozen of my old fraternity brothers from Michigan have moved down here over the years. Thus, as you can see, I find much to like about this place, as you point out in your well though out 'pros.' As for your 'cons,' I appreciate the 'heads-up.'

I urge you to keep a place in your heart for the beach. Even though Matt in his "Meltzarian" way, brings up many of the points you do, as Jess points out, he still chooses to live here.

Best of luck in finding your pleasant peninsula, island, park, or shore! Perhaps, miami beach will be able to share you time again in the future!

Lol Meltzarian! That sounds cool!

by the way, is it possible to get an apt in Miami Beach for 3-4 months rather than commit to a whole year lease so that i can get my bearings together and figure out where i like to live longer term? i'm going to be a total newbie in miami in july and have no clue about the neighborhoods but from what you guys are saying sounds like the beach would be a good start

Thumbs up Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by ElliBU View Post
    Lol Meltzarian! That sounds cool!

by the way, is it possible to get an apt in Miami Beach for 3-4 months rather than commit to a whole year lease so that i can get my bearings together and figure out where i like to live longer term? i'm going to be a total newbie in miami in july and have no clue about the neighborhoods but from what you guys are saying sounds like the beach would be a good start
    There are many buildings that allow month to month leases---the roney comes to mind as does the decoplage. These buildings are right in the middle of things and will allow you to get your bearings. There are also the sites that RK posts.

Be advised that short term leases tend to be more expensive and may only be available in bigger buildings.

Thanks, Fred! So if they're shorter term, how much should I expect to have to put down for a 1BR in miami beach - will it be around $1100 a month? Would it be a good place for someone with a dog? Thanks, Elli

I definately love Miami. I love being part of 411 and having all of my wonderful friends. I have good friends and former co-workers in NJ, but if someone moved to NJ I think it would be hard to find as many good friends as I've found in Miami in the same time frame. I guess a lot of people here are transplants, and with the great weather and fun atmosphere it's so easy to meet great great people and form freindships.

The one thing that bothers me is the economy and job situation. It seems like unless you want to work in the service industry, or you have a very specialized skill, there really isn't a large selection of jobs...although I used to concentrate my search on craigslist to South Beach.

The other is that although the rents are cheap, the apartments are not well cared for and 70% of them have insect problems, which is a huge problem for me. And I really don't think anyone should have to live with bugs..it's gross.

My other problem is the cost of having dinner and drinks. It's pricey because we live in a tourist destination.

Lightbulb Some Info

Quote Originally Posted by ElliBU View Post
    Thanks, Fred! So if they're shorter term, how much should I expect to have to put down for a 1BR in miami beach - will it be around $1100 a month? Would it be a good place for someone with a dog? Thanks, Elli
    This is a sample of I pulled from 1 agents website, 3 different buildings. I suspect (but will defer to full time locals) that the listed rents are likely among the higher even for short term. A live local agent or perusal of ads may give a clearer , more realistic, picture.

Roney Palace Condo Rentals - Miami Beach Real Estate - South Beach Real Estate - Condo Super Center - Condo Super Centre - Miami Preconstruction - Realtors - MLS Listings - Zilbert Realty Group
    Decoplage Condo Rentals - Miami Beach Real Estate - South Beach Real Estate - Condo Super Center - Condo Super Centre - Miami Preconstruction - Realtors - MLS Listings - Zilbert Realty Group
    Flamingo South Beach Condo Rentals - Miami Beach Real Estate - South Beach Real Estate - Condo Super Center - Condo Super Centre - Miami Preconstruction - Realtors - MLS Listings - Zilbert Realty Group

Ah, excellent! You've just created work for me on a freezing saturday NY afternoon looking for my possible future home in sunshine town. Thank you sir!

rk

These are the links that Fred mentioned:

http://www.vacationhomerentals.com/v...th-Florida.htm
    http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacat...h-Florida.html
    http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...st/miami-beach

and very good advice by sungal about being wary of the quality of apartments.

Other possibilities are, the online classifieds of the local papers (Herald, New Times etc.), walking around.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast