Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sometimes a city's negative aspects can have a silver lining. For example, Miami is often said to be superficial. But that also means more gyms and interesting architecture and landscaping. I've been in some profound places and there seems to be less attention dedicated to aesthetics!

Miami is also said to be transient. But the good part of that is that you can have the freedom to be more yourself than you can in places where people are always concerned about where you're going and what you're doing.

Ultimately, like Carlos says, if you can surround yourself with the people you want to, everything else is just window dressing. And say what you will about Miami, but it does have a lot of very fine window dressing!

Unhappy

RK, thanks for the links, I'm looking at them as well. Do a lot of the places come furnished? Because I'd love to leave all my old furniture here and just drive down myself and pooch sans a U-Haul And i just realized, i won't have that much clothes to bring down! 75% of my closet is freezing weather stuff..Would be soooo liberating to leave that behind..

Doug, NYC is the opposite of Miami - nothing transient here. It's all about hot shot corporate jobs that leave you soulless and dried out. It's all people talk about non-stop, how important their job is. And people look miserable all the time and angry at the world.. or they're just plain cold.

What are some cool bars to hang out at in Miami town? By the way, I had the best mimosa brunch on Ocean Drive and an awesome Sushi dinner on Lincoln Rd. Loved the rows of restaurants, music, people everywhere, felt like a cool diverse community. There is nothing like that in NYC. But I bet there are some cool bars in Miami that are not going to be just guys in suits that you can't tell apart that all look and talk the same.

Ellie, I lived in Union City, NJ for about 9 months and used to temp in the World Financial Center for Merrill Lynch's Corporate Law division (1997), so I can relate to your comments! When I'd ride the elevator up to work every day, I'd hear some of the most soulless conversations! Hard to believe that just a few years later, that whole area was so devastated by the WTC collapse.

As far as Miami bars, the coolest one in my opinion would have to be Mac's Club Deuce. It's all dark and neon and has a very interesting crowd.

Elli

Jobs in NY pay more than ones in Miami. Depending on what field you are specialized in, it may be hard to find work. I noticed a lot of service and hospitality jobs when I visited. The people there seemed to be in their own world. Many seem like they keep to their own. Perhaps that is just my experience there. Anywhere has superficial people, whether it's looks, income, job status, etc. That is just a fact of life that can't be escape. Browse indeed.com to see if you can find a job you think you will be happy with. I will tell you upfront that there is less work offered in Florida compared to NY. Unless you have thousands saved and you don't mind waiting for a job, go for it. But think about what you have accomplished and can achieve in NY.
    Good Luck

rk

Most of the short-term rentals should come furnished, but of course you always want to confirm everything. Pictures can be misleading. Nothing should be taken for granted, and I would not rent anything unseen, including looking under the sink (credit: sungal).

Exclamation Really Important!

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Elli

Jobs in NY pay more than ones in Miami. Depending on what field you are specialized in, it may be hard to find work. I noticed a lot of service and hospitality jobs when I visited. The people there seemed to be in their own world. Many seem like they keep to their own. Perhaps that is just my experience there. Anywhere has superficial people, whether it's looks, income, job status, etc. That is just a fact of life that can't be escape. Browse indeed.com to see if you can find a job you think you will be happy with. I will tell you upfront that there is less work offered in Florida compared to NY. Unless you have thousands saved and you don't mind waiting for a job, go for it. But think about what you have accomplished and can achieve in NY.
    Good Luck

This is soooooo important and is echoed my many! Make sure your financial ducks are in line! Cash flow problem have caused more than their fair share of heartaches on the beach! Don't be suprised, be prepared so you can work and play!(Thanks for bring this up tinkerbell!)

I echo what Miller says about superficiality. It's probably more dense in SoBe but more prevelent in my home town of Los Angeles. Even in the mid west, you got those guys wearing hats but with no cattle .

I don't intend to make friends with House Wives of whatever city. They bore the f... out me. I've met some very interesting people in Miami and plenty of duds. The true can be said of any city or town.
    The few I have met from Miami 411 seem down to earth in their Miami kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Elli

Good Luck

Fred, Tinkerbell -

i agree with what you're saying - job situation in NYC is much brighter than in Miami, and surely I worry about that more than anything... you say what i have accomplished or can achieve in NY.. that's a very valid yet difficult to put a finger on success.. yes, i do have a 9-5 here but that's ALL i have, there's barely time for anything else, it's forever hurried, gray and stressful and all the money I make goes into rent, bills and just generally paying the NYC prices for everything.. money here hemorhages (or however you spell this).. what i can achieve is get the next job, just like the previous one so that i can make a couple of grand more a year so that I can move to a bigger apt and get the same sum total at the end as far as income/outcome, and continue to be forever freezing, stressed out and imprisoned by concrete.. or marry and have 3.5 kids here in NYC and be just like the all the other cookie cutter overparenting families and officially strap myself on to concrete city with metal chains.. the accomplishment promise of NYC is VERY devious and elusive.. only the wealthy are ok here and enjoy the city (somewhat), the rest struggle daily.. and i'd rather struggle by the beach and sun and the occasional horse that needs help Elli

Quote Originally Posted by ElliBU View Post
    To me New York has become a concrete energy vacuum and i would really like to get out and try something different and breathe for a minute. Life here is insanely hectic and stressful. Lot of people look miserable, they're angry most of the time..rent is ridiculous, i pay $2200 for a 1 BD that is OK, no washer/dryer etc..no nature other than central park and that gets old pretty quickly.. renting a car to get out for a day you have to dish out ~$100 gas not included.. i work like crazy and get home exhausted and never really have time for anything else..

do you think i'm crazy for leaving something guaranteed for something completely uknown which is miami?
    ElliBU,
    I'm in a similar situation and you should do it! I love Miami but hear some terrible things from people living there. I've visited numerous times and I still love it so I'm moving. You should be able to find an awesome apt coming from NYC. You'll get so much more bang for your buck down in Miami (in my opinion). And every situation is what you make it. Just be open minded to the fact that there are so many people that speak a different language and you should be ok.

I have never lived in NY so I don't know your struggle. I am in NJ and visit every once in a while. I noticed that if you don't have specialized training or a Bachelor's (sometimes a Master's), you ain't getting a job! I feel it's hard in NJ and Philadelphia. I have applied for countless positions and can count how many have responded. These jobs are not willing to compromise and weed 'n' seed to pick candidates. It's a bitch to find a GOOD job up here, I can imagine in Miami. If you are truly willing to start over and move to Miami, don't let me or anyone stop you. Just make sure you have a year of rent upfront and money for leisure, gas, etc. Hell find a company to pay for your relocation expenses and take a pay cut. Do what is best for you.

rk

Yeah, I agree, focus should be, in this order: education, job, friends, location. As you get older, family will become an ever higher priority, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by ElliBU View Post
    RK, thanks for the links, I'm looking at them as well. Do a lot of the places come furnished? Because I'd love to leave all my old furniture here and just drive down myself and pooch sans a U-Haul And i just realized, i won't have that much clothes to bring down! 75% of my closet is freezing weather stuff..Would be soooo liberating to leave that behind..

Doug, NYC is the opposite of Miami - nothing transient here. It's all about hot shot corporate jobs that leave you soulless and dried out. It's all people talk about non-stop, how important their job is. And people look miserable all the time and angry at the world.. or they're just plain cold.
    Heya Elli, your sentiments on NYC mirror mine up in Beantown! Back in January when I decided to move to Miami, in the dead of a New England winter, I thought I'd do what you suggested- donate my winter gear, rent a convertible, and cruise south along the coast Just a word of caution though- you'll definitely want to hang on to some sweaters/pullovers for the few days the temps could dip down to the 30's :-)

I'm coming a bit late to this thread, but WOW.

Yvette - you and I have not crossed paths and I'm sorry for that. Everyone has there own experience of Miami, of course. But to say that Miami has no history or nature? And that *everyone* is uncultured and rude? Hmm ... That certainly hasn't been my experience and I've lived here all my life. If you read everything I've ever written - you'll see why.

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is one of the most unique nature spots in the world. Matheson Hammock park is breathtakingly beautiful during a sunset. The Everglades is the only one of its kind. Dr. Paul George teaches a fantastic history class - you would not believe how much history there is in every nook and cranny of this city. Just driving through Brickell and downtown is so chock-full of information my head spins. And every single person in my life/social community is educated, cultured and has something to offer.

Good luck with your new endeavors and thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Elli - the nine to five grind is bad anywhere I think ... you'll have to carve yourself a new life here with downtime. I strongly encourage you to live close to work and avoid a long commute so you have free time to enjoy yourself. It is important to have a balanced life no matter where you live. I'm one of those who believe you can manifest what you want.

By the way, there is some horse country over on Sunset Drive heading west to Kendall. Not sure what the community is like there, but it's known as horse country.

Default I couldn't have said this better myself!

So true, Carlos! You attract what you want, no matter where you live!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    It's true that Miami is filled with superficial people, but I don't hang out with them. The people I hang out with are very down to earth, including the people from MB 411.

And every time I go out, I meet new people who are just as down to earth. It's funny because now I wonder where all the superficial people are.

They're still around. I'm just not drawn to them. And they're not drawn to me. And we co-exist very peacefully.

Davie is another great place to go if you're into horses. I wrote an article about a visit to one of the ranches there:
    Fun Miami Day Trips: Horseback riding at Bar-B-Ranch in Davie - Miami Beach 411

So I've decided to duly start a list of all the places that will, in some shape and form, be a factor in my new life down south! Maria, Doug - both Davie and Sunset Drive as well as all the beautiful parks and places of interest Maria mentioned have been committed to Elli's to do list, thank you very much oh yeah, cookiemonster, i will bring a a nice warm sweater.. uhmmm.. to miami when i come down.. lol seriously course i will, if i catch myself freezing in miami that would totally confuse the heck out of me..

Elli, I brought back my gloves, scarf and uggs back from London this Christmas and boy was I glad I did. I used them loads. We had weeks of 30s and 40s this winter, don't kid yourself that its 70 all year round!

Great point, Doug! I totally forgot to mention Davie. It's rather "country" around there ... I went to a fantastic fun honky tonk bar and did some country dancing. There's even a rodeo, too. Love it!

Elli - this doesn't give much info on the horses but, it seems like there was a movement to keep that part of urban Miami "green" - Welcome to Horse Country - "OUR MISSION IS TO KEEP HORSE COUNTRY GREEN"

Great, thanks Maria! I knew Miami area has a lot to offer in terms of horse related activities

Have another question, from what I hear on the board I'm going to need wheels in miami.. anybody know any good, reliable and reasonably priced car leasing companies? what's monthly car insurance like in miami? i only have a speeding ticket from south carolina last year when i was speeding to get to miami

Hi Elli! I'm not really sure about leasing companies but I have a friend who works for Autonation - I'll ask her if they do leasing.

Expect to pay about $1K/year plus or minus for insurance. I recommend State Farm.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast