Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    rk

GandJ:

Where are you getting those numbers from? My sources show the normal average high for Miami (not Miami Beach) being 91 in July, and just under 91 in August. As you know, normals are computed from 30-year averages, and mine are for the period 1970-2000 (NWS data).

Also, I hope you mean "never over 100" in the literal sense. The temp has been at 100 (but not over), once, on July 21, 1942. It's incredible how many web sites (including the front page of www.miamibeach411.com, and wikipedia.com) get this wrong, and it has been in the books for almost 70 years.

In case anyone is wondering, the normal highs in Miami Beach are about 4 degs F lower than Miami during July and Aug (but lows are a degree or so warmer than the mainland).

The low temps are also useful, because they are roughly equal to the dewpoint. In Miami the normal daily lows are above 75 degs F from early June to late September. Individual experiences vary, but most people would find a dewpoint above 75 to be in the "very or extremely uncomfortable" range.

Question: I've decided South Beach would be too crowded and not green enough for me. I'm looking for a quiet, safe area with a nice green park nearby where I can take my dog and hopefully some body of water since she loves swimming. I am a single female so it definitelty should be safe but have some kind of social life as well, i don't want to be completely lonely. What miami area(s) would fit that decscription? Thanks!!
    Hi ElliBU,

South Beach fits this description better than any other area I can think of. In my opinion, Hollywood is lonely - stay closer to Miami.

Heat sucks but so does the cold. The South is better in the summer than other areas of the country because we actually have air conditioning - everywhere.

Sometimes the summer here can be like the winter in other places; you just don't spend time outside if the temps are too extreme.

If you are someone that gets into 80 degrees and sweats, gets sleepy and hates it, yeah, summer is gonna be tough.
    Jess is right about this though. If 80 degrees and 80% humidity is hot to you, you will be miserable.

I wish you good luck in your decision-making

Hi rk -
    I got the numbers from here : Miami Average Monthly Temperatures - Miami Weather Each Month of the Year

We're pretty close..... only 1.2 degrees apart. 89.8 versus 91. Reagrding the the hottest ever temp in Miami, I meant what I wrote.... It has has never been over 100 in Miami. Yes, it has reached 100 once, but not over 100. The majoroity of other major US cities have been over 100 several times...even the northern ones. The nearby ocean keeps Miami from getting really really hot. But, the humidity can be brutal on non-breezy days.

Glenn

rk

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    Hi rk -
    I got the numbers from here : Miami Average Monthly Temperatures - Miami Weather Each Month of the Year

We're pretty close..... only 1.2 degrees apart. 89.8 versus 91. Reagrding the the hottest ever temp in Miami, I meant what I wrote.... It has has never been over 100 in Miami. Yes, it has reached 100 once, but not over 100. The majoroity of other major US cities have been over 100 several times...even the northern ones. The nearby ocean keeps Miami from getting really really hot. But, the humidity can be brutal on non-breezy days.

Glenn
    Glenn, thanks. about.com is sometimes correct, but not in this case. However, as you pointed out, the difference is small, and no one but me cares. Yes, any dewpoint over 60 is noticeable, and anything over 75 is very unpleasant.

rk -
    I agree with you about about.com. I am a bit of weather and climate stats geek. I generally use the NCDC data (National Climate Data Center). This time I was lazy, and rather than delving into the NCDC, I just did a quick google search on "avergae July temps Miami". I just knew that the stats of 95 high and 94 low mentioned earlier were way off, so I was only looking for a ballpark figure.

Yes, those mid-70s dew points are brutal. It's funny how my uncle in Pheonix thinks it is really humid when the dew point hits 55. Miamians think a dew point of 60 is pretty comfy.

Glad to hear there is someone else on here interested in such stuff.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    Hi ElliBU,

South Beach fits this description better than any other area I can think of. In my opinion, Hollywood is lonely - stay closer to Miami.

I wish you good luck in your decision-making
    Michelle, thanks. So if SoBe would be good for someone with a dog, how about the Grove? What that be good as well? I hear it's green and peaceful and there are parks. Is this true? On the other hand, is Coconut Grove more expensive than SoBe?

Hi Elli! I think I have replied here before about Coconut Grove. I think it's better than SoBe in many respects. If it seems more expensive, it's probably because for X dollars what you pay for a tiny studio in South Beach is probably a much larger apartment in Coconut Grove with more creature comforts and amenities.

But both places are good to live as far as having a dog is concerned. It's just that Coconut Grove is more green and peaceful -- more residential and less urban. South Beach is extremely congested.

And as I mentioned before, there is a dog park at Kennedy Park on Bayshore Drive.

If you are on a tight budget you should stick to searches in your price range and find whatever offers you the most bang for your buck. Either SoBe or Coconut Grove are good.

The only thing about the Grove is that you want to avoid anything near Grand Avenue west of 27th street. Stick as close as possible to the bay if you want to be walking distance to the parks.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345