Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question Is Miami really that bad a place to live?

Guys, I read a few of the posts here by the moderators and Matt I have to say your advice is very useful and practical. I truly appreciate it, but it also scares me A LOT! Is Miami really that bad?? You're saying people move to Miami, realize it's ridiculous and move to Tampa..No jobs if you don't speak Spanish and other scary things.. Now I'm afraid, I don't want to make a BIG mistake with moving to Miami but I really need a change... hmmm Matt, please say something positive!
    Last edited by Jess; 04-14-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: retitled

It is not that bad! I speak zero Spanish. Zero. And I work here full time. Both Gus and Michelle who own and run this website speak zero Spanish and they worked as waiters at Tuscan Steak on the Beach for years. You don't need Spanish for all jobs. But, I'm not going to lie, it really does help.

Miami is fabulous, but it doesn't run like other American cities. I mean, if you are living on the beach, it gets thousands of people coming to it every day, so it isn't small town USA. But it is a great place to live.

And as for asking Matt to say something positive. Not going to happen. He doesn't want anyone else to move here!

Lol, Jess that's funny! Matt, is that right? Please say something positive

Hi ElliBU, welcome!

Miami is very different. Matt loves it or he wouldn't still be here. However, there are many who fantasize about it, stay for a bit, then leave as soon as they can.

It's a beautiful place with amazing scenery and a wonderful melting pot of people. But I would lying if I said I loved it right away. I spent the 1st ten years trying to figure out how I was going to leave and where I should move to.

The last 5 years have been great now that I realize I'm home.

Life in Miami is not easy. Maybe it's because many people that are here are on vacation and you want to be on vacation too, or maybe the heat is sometimes too much, or just that you don't speak the same language the majority of the people speak.

My theory is, you just don't know until you try. You certainly don't want to be spending the rest of your life wondering what if?

Where are you moving from?

Are you giving up a great job and a nice living space?

What do you plan to do for work? I highly recommend finding a job before you get here, or at least having a great plan to find a job within a week. Or, save up enough money to last a while - I recommend $10,000 to start.

First, last and security could cost you almost $4,000 alone. Unless, you find a rommmate situation - which could be ideal.

Tell us more

Michelle,

Thank you for your insights, incredibly helpful!

I moved to NYC from Eastern Europe about 12 years ago and NEVER left. So i know NYC inside and out and at this point every morning I wake up I already feel exhausted. To me New York has become a concrete energy vacuum and i would really like to get out and try something different and breathe for a minute. Life here is insanely hectic and stressful. Lot of people look miserable, they're angry most of the time..rent is ridiculous, i pay $2200 for a 1 BD that is OK, no washer/dryer etc..no nature other than central park and that gets old pretty quickly.. renting a car to get out for a day you have to dish out ~$100 gas not included.. i work like crazy and get home exhausted and never really have time for anything else..

yes, i am leaving a good job and a nice apt in NYC.. i am interviewing for a job in miami at the moment.. and will send out resumes to other places.. i'm in banking/finance, i do hope to have something at least in the process when i move down..

big thing for me is i want to be around horses which there are a lot of in south florida and 0 in NYC.. they won't pay the bills of course but at least on weekends i want to volunteer.. my passion is to have a rescue of some kind one day..

anyway, thinking of the impending move (my lease here ends end of JUne and i want to be out at that point) is SCARY but what's the alternative? NYC for another couple of years, that would kill me

do you think i'm crazy for leaving something guaranteed for something completely uknown which is miami?
    Last edited by ElliBU; 04-15-2010 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ElliBU View Post
    do you think i'm crazy for leaving something guaranteed for something completely uknown which is miami?
    Not at ALL.

The way you described NYC is how I felt before I moved here from London. I came to Miami knowing no-one and it was the best decision I ever made. Even when things are not going well, you can go sit on the beach and it gives you a different perspective. Sure, things can suck here. But we have the weather, sunshine and beach to make it seem not so bad.

If you move to Miami and don't like it, you haven't failed as you actually tried it.

rk

To be fair, Miami is known more for the ocean and warm weather. It probably has fewer horses than just about any other part of the country.

big thing for me is i want to be around horses which there are a lot of in south florida and 0 in NYC

If you like horses, you'll like the Wellington, FL area. It's about 1.5 - 2 hours north of Miami.

Glenn

Lol, thanks guys.. yes I know horses are outside of Miami but a driving distance I will work and go to school in Miami but there are 2 racetracks near Miami/Wellington that retire them on an ongoing basis..

by the way, i'm still waiting for matt to say something positive about Miami and I have a feeling that won't happen

The problem with taking other people's advice about where you want to live is that they are not you. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. It makes no difference to YOU if Matt says anything nice about Miami, it is what YOU think.

In my opinion, Miami is the best place in America to live right now, if you like that kind of thing, which I do. Blandness annoys me, and I cannot stand the unAmerican English-only movement, so I have no issues with the variety of languages spoken here. It's a fun, exciting, energetic and unusual place. If you like that kind of thing, then you'll probably love it here, if you want something quiet, probably not for you.

And there are probably a lot more horses around here than some of you realize.

Like anywhere, it could be a good place or bad place to live. Only you will be able to decide that.

On a personal level, Living on SoBe has no appeal to me whatssoever, but for others it's their garden of eden. This is a very personal question and hard to give you a definitive answer. Need to take it for a test drive to find out.

Coach,

i have to say your post brightened me quite a bit - I agree, every experience is very personal.. My math teacher used to say "There are as many solutions to a math equation as there are people trying to solve it." Same thing with how you like or dislike a place. I'm foreign (Eastern European) myself, I actually like the dynamics of different cultures blending together and the energetic feel of miami... for example, if i had to move to the midwest, i'd prob shoot myself.

can you elaborate on when you say "Miami is the best place to live right now.." i would love to hear why in your opinion that is the case.. i appreciate everyone's point of you, best way to get a full and fair weigh in on a place..

and as far as horses go, you are absolutely right, much more horses around miami than people realize.. unfortunately, many of them have pretty sad lives one of the reasons i want to come down south rather than settle for squirrel watching in central park or the occasional coon! that's as exciting as it gets here
    Last edited by ElliBU; 04-15-2010 at 03:46 PM.

i want to come down south rather than settle for squirrel watching in central park or the occasional coon! that's as exciting as it gets here
    With all the buzz in the city, I found your response pretty peculiar. If you make it down here, I hope the Seagulls don't play the role of the squirrel.

Lol, Under the Sun - I meant as far as nature and animals not much going on in NYC.. I'm in central park every morning and that's all the nature we get here.. Miami has sun, beach, Everglades no offence to the squirrels, they're great but like I said I'd like to get down to wokring with horses on weekends and there are a LOT of them in south florida.. hopefully, i'll get the job in coconut grove so i can reconcile the two objectives

rk

Maybe you should try the place for a while. Miami does have sun and beach, but I would consider it much less culturally diverse than NYC. And defintely many fewer horses than most places in the country. But as others have said, in the end it depends on what is most important to you.

Ellibu - It's a bit away, but you'll love Ocala for weekend excursions if you make it down here. It's horse country at it's finest. It's so Horse Country, when I stayed at the Hilton there, it had it's own stable.

Just google Ocala Horses, you'll see what i mean.

Cool

Under the Sun,

Ocala...
    this is a terrific tip! Thank you, i just checked them out.. Good stuff.. I'll def be visiting them.

Is weather going to be horrid when I come to my new beloved home called Miami? I picked the best month of course - July!

Someone told me Miami July thru August is SCARY hot and humid.. my ny behind will probably melt.. yikes.. seriously, is it bearable or is it a nightmare down there in the summer? elli

I mean, yeah it's hot. But thousands of people live here all year round so it is bearable. I still ride my bike everywhere in the summer. And the crazy tourists will lie out on the beach all day. Don't panic too much. Plus you get used to it. June usually feels the worst as all of a sudden its like WHAM: Summer's here! By August you are totally used to it.

Oh and really, worrying about the humidity... you wanna be worrying about the hurricanes...

When you open your door to go out at night, the air just smacks you in the face. It's as if you opened the door to a a sauna. Sometimes when I'm out in the summer I look around at everyone standing there as if they're comfortable. I feel sorry for the guys in jeans..at least girls can wear next to nothing. A good idea would be a night time pool party! Why don't we have that?

Also, once in a while you get a day that is just unbearable and you can't be out more than 5 min. It's the equivalent to a snowstorm where you have to stay in all day.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast