Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default 72 days away from the M-I-A

Hey all, whatís crackalackin?!?!

Itís been a while since Iíve had the chance to visit this awesome forum, thought Iíd drop a few lines to post an update...

1. Iíll be starting work at the Univ. of Miami Hospital August 1

2. I need to vacate Boston June 28 or 29

3. I wonít be able to visit Miami to look for apartments till June 17 or so... which doesnít give me much time to find an apartment to rent- but Iím really hopeful, and hoping I wonít get screwed with a crappy place to live. One of the secretaries at the Uni. recommended a realtor, whose specialty is north Miami, but said sheíd be able to help me find a place in the Brickell, Coconut Grove, Mid- and South Beach areas.

4. Iím still debating between getting a furnished vs. unfurnished place

5. Iím selling off all my furniture, so Iíll be moving with boxes full of clothes and books. Iím thinking of having some movers move my car and my stuff down for me, but after having read DCtoMIAís comments on his experience with movers, Iím wondering what the most prudent way would be to move to Miami.

That about sums up where Iím at these days!

Many many thanks to Gus and Co. for making this site such a rich resource of info on Miami. Even though I don't post regularly, I truly enjoy reading what many of you write.

Cheers!

Insofar as movers, I think that's a mixed bag. DCtoMIA may have had some issues, but I know plenty of folks who've moved locally who've had good experiences. I think this decision boils down to whether or not you want to pay for movers or do it yourself.

Yeah, there's the risk of it going seriosuly wrong. But then again, there's risk in everything.

New User

I also work at a hospital here, not UM though. I had a major culture shock at work, because I'm not fluent in Spanish. If you aren't, I would suggest brushing up on it now. You will encounter patients, and employees that only speak Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by classydread View Post
    I also work at a hospital here, not UM though. I had a major culture shock at work, because I'm not fluent in Spanish. If you aren't, I would suggest brushing up on it now. You will encounter patients, and employees that only speak Spanish.
    Hey Classy, thanks for the heads up :-) I do hablo un poquito espanol, but at an extremely rudimentary level... I'm looking forward to becoming conversationally fluent- the thing is, I've heard over and over again that the type Spanish spoken in Miami by most is of the Cuban flavor, which I've been told is quite different from Spanish spoken elsewhere. Not sure what that means, but I suppose it'll dawn on me when I begin learning and speaking
    Last edited by cookiemonster; 05-04-2010 at 08:13 AM.

It's not really. I learned Mexican Spanish in High School and growing up on the West Coast, and was fine when I got to Miami. There might be some slang and some slightly different pronunciation, but it's not all that tough.