Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Help...I don't want to move to Kendall...Do I?

I'm 25 I have lived in the South Miami / Coral Gables area for almost a year now. I have been dating my boyfriend for a little less then that and we were talking about moving in together when my lease is up in August. The thing is , he lives in Kendall and wants to buy another condo...in Kendall he found a good deal apparently and he likes that e can get a bigger place there. I have spent some time with him at his place and while I don't think it's dangerous or anything, it seems really spanish (I don't speak spanish, my bf is from South America) every house I've ever been into there is really old (like 70s , plug in ceiling fan with chain hanging old not charming old). When we originally started talking about moving in, I was excited about pooling our money and moving to a trendy spot. My boyfriend sees nothing wrong with Kendall and thinks I'm just being a party girl that wants to live near clubs, but that isn't the case. I just like to be able to walk to places and have cool things to do near me. The move to Kendall does make logistical sense as I am in grad school at FIU, but I am willing to drive so that I don't have to live near it. Should I just say no and do my own thing? will Kendall really be as bad as I think it will be? I am sooo torn. Any thoughts

If those are the thoughts you are already having then yes, Kendall is going to be that bad. You're in Uni and you sound like you want the fun lifestyle. Kendall is for settling down. If you can't agree now on where to live, better to wait and carry on living where you are and do your own thing. Living in the Gables or the Grove is not party lifestyle, it's not like you are asking to live in South Beach on Washington.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, Zoe, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for posting your question here.

Will living in Kendall affect your commute to work?

Personally speaking, not moving in, right away was a good decision for Michelle and I. When we decided to finally live together, we had the confidence that it was the right thing to do. Even though we spent a little extra money on unnecessary rent, it was worth it.

I say, spend the summer on your own and then see how you're feeling.

AHHHHHH! NOOOOOO!!! . By no means, and I mean NO means, should anyone under the age of 40 EVER move to Kendall.

Let me guess. Boyfriend is from the greater-Kendall area, right? Of COURSE he doesn't think it's that bad. Because he's used to it, so he likes it. It's like people from Orlando who tell me how awesome Orlando is and when I ask them why all they can say is "I don't know. It's just....AWESOME!." He likes it because he has friends and family in the area and feels comfortable. But dear God, girl. Anywhere but Kendall.

Kendall is the worst of both Miami worlds. It has all the communication and cultural barriers like the City, but is also completely devoid of any character and far from everything much like the Suburbs. Traffic. Sprawl, Nobody speaking English. Endless chain restaurants and drab shopping malls. Seriously, say no to Kendall, Unless you want to be a boring, domesticated girlfriend, Kendall will be the worst decision you ever made.

Moving in together is a personal decision for you two. But if this guy is asking you to move to, IMO, the absolute worst part of Miami to live in (crime stats not factored in) he's not worth it. Nobody is worth moving to Kendall.

Seriously, I hope to God you make the right decision here. I'd hate to hear you ended up moving there because, really, that's almost like hearing someone died to me. Kendall. Just saying it gives me the chills.

Exclamation Can We Make This Specific Post A "Sticky?"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    AHHHHHH! NOOOOOO!!! . By no means, and I mean NO means, should anyone under the age of 40 EVER move to Kendall.

Let me guess. Boyfriend is from the greater-Kendall area, right? Of COURSE he doesn't think it's that bad. Because he's used to it, so he likes it. It's like people from Orlando who tell me how awesome Orlando is and when I ask them why all they can say is "I don't know. It's just....AWESOME!." He likes it because he has friends and family in the area and feels comfortable. But dear God, girl. Anywhere but Kendall.

Kendall is the worst of both Miami worlds. It has all the communication and cultural barriers like the City, but is also completely devoid of any character and far from everything much like the Suburbs. Traffic. Sprawl, Nobody speaking English. Endless chain restaurants and drab shopping malls. Seriously, say no to Kendall, Unless you want to be a boring, domesticated girlfriend, Kendall will be the worst decision you ever made.

Moving in together is a personal decision for you two. But if this guy is asking you to move to, IMO, the absolute worst part of Miami to live in (crime stats not factored in) he's not worth it. Nobody is worth moving to Kendall.

Seriously, I hope to God you make the right decision here. I'd hate to hear you ended up moving there because, really, that's almost like hearing someone died to me. Kendall. Just saying it gives me the chills.
    Any reader/contributor to this website had to know our own 'Cosmo' Meltzer, formerly WD, soon to be 'Wet Dade,"
    would have something to say on this topic.

This epic post should live in the halls of Meltzerism forever!

So does it basically boil down to having to choose between your South American boyfriend and the trendy neighborhood you want to live in?

Kendall is lame but if you were really happy with your boyfriend, then would it really make that big of a difference?

Just cause something was built in the 1970s does not necessarily make it "really old". In Coral Gables, some of houses were built in the 1920s and they are considered classics.

I think you've already answered your own question. It's time to do your own thing.

Even the new stuff in Kendall is shit. And that notion that "As long as you're with the right person it doens't matter where you are" is hogwash. Ask anyone with Seasonal Affective Disorder.

What's Seasonal Affective Disorder? I wonder if I have it..

It's when you need the sunshine

AHHH, yeah. I have it.. nevermind

The responses to this are hilarious. I also have Seasonal Affective Disorder!
    Anyway, why is it Kendal or nothing? Why not just get a realtor and look at places together while saving some money and then decide? Is you're boyfriend so selfish that he won't consider anywhere else since you've only been in Miami a year? If you can't compromise on something like this you should probably renew your lease and tell him to wait a year before the big move in, in my opinion.

Or just dump his ass. But that's always my advice.

New User

Thanks everyone. Matt, you have a point, he has lived in Kendall for 10 years as does his whole family and on top of it all his family has a habit of buying a lot of not so hot properties in Kendall that are probably never going to make them any money...it's really weird. Moving in together makes sense for us because we do spend EVERY night together and we like it that way.
    The replies pretty much confirmed what I have felt all along. I told him flat out that I did not want to move to Kendall. I just keep picturing my friends visiting from out of town expecting to have a great "Miami" time and bringing them to a condo in Kendall and then schlepping all the way to south beach where the fun is, it would be beyond lame. I am saying no to Kendall and he has agreed to look other places, but he insists on buying and not renting. I just hope the words Pinecrest, Westchester, Doral, or Sweetwater don't enter the conversation and start the argument all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe B. View Post
    I just hope the words Pinecrest, Westchester, Doral, or Sweetwater don't enter the conversation and start the argument all over again.
    Haha, at least you know enough about Miami to avoid all the best places

I just hope the words Pinecrest, Westchester, Doral, or Sweetwater don't enter the conversation and start the argument all over again.
    Oh my, Zoe B.

You Go Girl! Put your foot down.

What is up with the buying thing? That just puts extra stress on your new relationship. Maybe you can talk him into just one year of change before he makes a major commitment like purchasing a new condo.

In that year, he can see how it feels to live away from Kendall, how things go between the two of you, and then make a purchase. In a year, it will still be affordable. Convince him you are the voice of reason.

I am so happy to read that Zoe. If we can keep just ONE girl out of Kendall.......

And be strong to put your foot down about the rest of that suburbia as well. Pinecrest isn't bad, but still, I think you're too young for that.

Hi Zoe! I am a little late to this conversation but I agree with what everyone else has said.

I don't know this person, but let me caution you against a South American thing called machismo. You need to be REALLY sure in your relationship before moving in and giving up a place of your own you can run to. There is NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT for a woman than a room of one's own -- Virginia Wolf wrote a book about it! I realize you spend every night together and that it makes sense financially, but honestly, unless there's talk about serious future together, I would not do the moving in thing, and at your age, no one should be rushing into that kind of cohabitating relationship.

I am also concerned that he does not consider YOUR feelings about this purchase yet he wants you to be in his life and doesn't want to meet you half way -- like say, South Miami? Brickell?

And besides, he could wake up one morning, kick your ass out and you have no stake in the purchase whatsoever and nowhere to go. You'll be all emotionally invested in this "home" and yet you have nothing in it and no family to run to in case you need an emergency roof over your head.

I see nothing wrong with people buying real estate or whatever even if the fans look crummy ... that's not really the issue here. The issue is that you've only known this guy less than a year, you're new to Miami, and you're still in school. Keep some independence while you get to know him better. If it's a deal breaker, then so be it. You'll figure out in time if his love is really strong enough.

Oh yeah ... and Kendall sucks. I draw the border at Dadeland Mall. Everything west of that ... bleh (unless like Matt suggested, you want to be a domesticated girlfriend, which is why I brought up the word "machismo")