Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My first 72 hours

- Houston clothes are not Miami clothes. Period.
    - I will never be as beautiful as the doorman. Seriously? Geez
    - I am glad I am an alert driver. wow!
    - I need to learn how to parallel park. asap.
    - This is not an easy place to live. but I see no regrets in the future.
    - I have learned who to ask for help and who in the building already hates me :/
    - I'm 33 and sleeping on a couch...and for the moment it's ok (for the moment)
    - Despite the fact that people here are seemingly cranky and abrupt, a well-placed smile and a southern accent will go a long ways...I try to work in my "ya'lls" as much as possible
    - No one lets me carry anything to my place. weird, but helps my back...though probably not my weight
    - My neighbors like to party. often. and late. maybe I'll pull out the tuxedo t-shirt and join them.
    - I don't really consider myself sheltered...but I'm feeling very FOB (i.e. fresh off the boat)
    - I'm pretty sure "stacked" is not a compliment

Talking Welcome Aboard!

Congrats on your bold move!

If I understand from your previous post, you are living at the Roney.

I loved that location and worked on a short-sale for 9 month, sadly, to no avail.

The politics of a condo are indeed amazing!!!!!!

Sides are quickly drawn up and it is hard not to feel like a piece of 'fresh meat!' This seems to fade, and I now get quite a few chuckles out of it as does my wife.

If you are at the Roney, be aware of the conflict between the owners group, shady lane partners (the building and hotel owners), and the possible hotel foreclosure.

Look forward to meeting you in the future! Best of luck, but you sound as if you won't need it as you'll do fine!

I'm actually on the "other side". It's somewhat strange the three sets of dynamics here. Hard to figure out who knows what, who can help, and who I can ask that can give me a straight answer

Unhappy Wow

Quote Originally Posted by juicy727 View Post
    I'm actually on the "other side". It's somewhat strange the three sets of dynamics here. Hard to figure out who knows what, who can help, and who I can ask that can give me a straight answer
    I thought they put a hold on selling paradiso condos.

I really can't tell in my building either--old guard, new guard, new administrator-allies, old administrator-allies, local condo association, master condo association---its CRAZY!!!!!

I smile at everyone, listen to everybody, gather information, and remain true to myself. I, like you, don't have time for this craziness!

The only thing I can say, and why I am writing this, so that you know it seems to go on all over and pretty much everybody is fine!

They opened it up right as I was looking to move. I kinda got caught up in the transition so there's been a lot involved in that but again I'm just being as friendly as I can. Thanks for letting me this know this is almost the norm. I was in a bit of a panic when I first moved it with the up in the air status around here but everything for the most part seems to be ok and people are willing to help me. It's a whole new world that is for sure from where I'm from in Texas but I'm just laughing and not getting all pissy about some of the problems.

Welcome to Miami, Juicy. And stacked is a compliment.

Great thoughts on your first 72 hours!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    Welcome to Miami, Juicy. And stacked is a compliment.
    Hah, beat me to it. Glad I read down the page I was just about to post the same.

Just had stacked defined for me. Yes it is a good thing!

72 hours and you're already calling it a hard place to live? And already being called "stacked" without solicitation?

I'm seriously going to start a sticky thread of over/unders.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    72 hours and you're already calling it a hard place to live? And already being called "stacked" without solicitation?

I'm seriously going to start a sticky thread of over/unders.
    Ah Matt...I should have clarified. This particular building was rather complicated the first 72 hours. I'm a little late on posting here, but these first 72 hours were my reflections from moving in on the weekend of Winter Music Conference. At the Gansevoort. It was insane. However, I laughed and enjoyed it even though my walls were shaking from the beach party.

Also, the combo of the hotel, Roney Palace, and the Paradiso in this uncomfortable tango under one roof made moving in quite the unpleasant experience. As for what I've seen and done since then, well I'm pretty tolerant and have an open mind. After being a teacher at one of the roughest high schools in Houston for several years, I've had more than my fair share of the interesting "flavors" of folks in this world and still have managed to come out a-ok.

So, please do start that over/under on me...I'd love to see what ends up happening with that

I'm serious. Going to talk to Gus about it. I think it would be fun. We could all place bets. But best of luck with your time here. Hopefully those betting the over can cash their tickets.

Thanks for the (albiet sideways) well wishes. I'll be just fine.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Sorry, Matt, there will be no wagering on how long members stay, because to make it fair, we would have to factor-in the member's neighborhood, annual income, languages spoken, and weather or not they have people living above them.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Default What's on your bucket list?

Welcome, Juicy727. Thank you for starting such a great thread!

If you flash forward 1 year, do you have a list of things that need to happen, so that you'll feel like this move was a success?

I'm serious. Going to talk to Gus about it. I think it would be fun. We could all place bets. But best of luck with your time here. Hopefully those betting the over can cash their tickets.
    Juicy, please ignore Matt. You will come to learn he is the cynical voice of reason on the forums. When I first used to write in I actually used to dread his posts! Anyway, you'll end up loving him as we all do. Well, that or ignoring him...

I still remember my first week here and how bewildered I was. I came from London too so not only was I dealing with Miami culture shock but also American culture shock, like having to know my social off by heart and paying to receive calls as well as make them on my cell phone. Anyway, I wrote a post after my first year here, and I'm sure you will be too.

http://forums.miamibeach411.com/relo...uth-beach.html

And if it helps, I totally outlasted Matt's bet on me I think he gave me a year too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Juicy, please ignore Matt. You will come to learn he is the cynical voice of reason on the forums. When I first used to write in I actually used to dread his posts! Anyway, you'll end up loving him as we all do. Well, that or ignoring him...

And if it helps, I totally outlasted Matt's bet on me I think he gave me a year too.
    Or, like a lot of people do that you haven't mentioned, going, "Man, that guy was TOTALLY right!"

And Jess, I don't even think YOU gave yourself more than a year.

Or, like a lot of people do that you haven't mentioned, going, "Man, that guy was TOTALLY right!"

And Jess, I don't even think YOU gave yourself more than a year.
    You're right, I gave myself 6 months after the first week. But that was down to being homesick, not Miami culture shock.

And yes, unfortunately, Matt is usually right. But we don't tell him that.

I don't differentiate people's reasons for not lasting here. They range from culture shock to career advancement to homesickness to all sorts of stuff. But 2 years seems to be the cutoff.

Dam. I got 6 months left if that's the case...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast