Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

High bike theft is what has kept me from buying a bike here. I would really want one.

Chris Hansen (DatelineNBC, Catch a Predator fame) did a story on bike theft one time. They caught a bunch of people red handed. I wish I could find the video.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Question: Do yo think these thieves steal bikes for their personal use or pawn and sell them ?
    If it's an expensive bike and the lock was cut, you can be nearly 100% sure it was to sell, usually for parts.

I think they either sell them whole or sell them for parts. I remember when I lived in New Orleans, I had a couple of friends drop by, and one left his bike u-locked to a parking sign. While he was there, some thieves came and used a stick to push his bike up over the parking sign. He happened to look out the window just as they'd gotten it over the sign and chased them down the street. At least in Miami Beach, the only crime you really have to worry about is larceny. In New Orleans it's larceny AND armed robbery!

Your car stories make me a little nervous. I drive a convertible & will leave the top down when I'm parking the car for not too long (10-15 minutes) & it's in a decent, well-trafficked area. From your experience I guess that really is not that viable an option in MB. It's somewhat sad. I'm reasonably street savvy (lived in NYC & other major cities without a major incident), but it sounds as if the petty crime/larceny is much more of an issue.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Wow UTS, that's amazing to be so trusting in your own neighborhood.

Everyone I know has had something stolen here, whether its a bike, security deposit, money, cameras, phones... you get the idea...
    I got a habit of leaving the garage door open. Sometimes a forget to close it which triggers
    security to call me at 3AM. Instead of answering the phone, I just go and close the door.
    My hood has less than a 1% crime rate, but then again. it's gated. I only have to worry about deer eating my hibiscus plants. Those damn thieves !

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Question: Do yo think these thieves steal bikes for their personal use or pawn and sell them ?
    It's really surprising the number of bikes that get stolen down here.

I tend to think all the stolen bikes and scooters end up in a storage container, on their way to some bike rental places in the Caribbean.

Hey UTS- great story!

IMO, I think it's all about the money, especially in this economy. I really don't think common thieves fully realize the dollar value of some of these high-end bikes they're jacking, as evidenced by the fraction of the price they try to re-sell them at.

Zekedad, what an unfortunate "welcome" incident to Miami Beach. So sorry to hear that.

I once had drinks with a friend at Ted's Hideaway while it was still daylight. I think it was happy hour around 4 PMish. He had locked his bike to a sign that was literally across the street, in TOTAL PLAIN VIEW. He was facing me and I was facing the window. I must've blinked for two seconds because next thing we know, his bike is GONE.

Luckily, he lived walking distance and had a second bike plus a car.

Michelle, I have never had an issue with trunk break ins but good to know!

Speaking of cheapo bikes, back when I owned one to get around my college campus I owned a simple Roadmaster brand mountain style bike that I bought at walmart. I think they sell them for $74 or less. They're not anything special, just an 18 speed bike. Steel frame (which is I'm guessing why it's so cheap).

I say go for a U lock on the next one.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Widmore View Post
    Speaking of cheapo bikes, back when I owned one to get around my college campus I owned a simple Roadmaster brand mountain style bike that I bought at walmart. I think they sell them for $74 or less. They're not anything special, just an 18 speed bike. Steel frame (which is I'm guessing why it's so cheap).

I say go for a U lock on the next one.
    Definitely going for the U-lock (it may be more than I spend on the bike...)

In NY, it is the cops themselves confiscating the bikes.

NYPD confiscates bikes to protect president | Photography is Not a Crime

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    In NY, it is the cops themselves confiscating the bikes.

NYPD confiscates bikes to protect president | Photography is Not a Crime
    Absolutely incredible. They often just parked cars at will, too. They'll remove everything (mailboxes, benches) out of the path for the motorcade (though the pope's visits are teh absolute worst...).

Default One last thing about bicycles

Just found out that MB is instituting a public bike sharing system (similar to Paris). It's called DecoBike & it's supposed to be up & running by July. There will be 100 stations throughout MB & membership is $15/month. www.decobike.com; their website is supposed to be up next week & they have an office at 723 Washington.

New User

I bought a bike about a month ago, and I was warned that they are stolen alot in Miami, so I've been extra paranoid about it when I take her out for a ride. I have 2 locks for mine. I have one that goes around the frame, and one that goes around the handlebars. If I go to Starbucks or something, I almost have it in my lap, lol. I also keep my bike inside my apartment. That sucks to have it stolen, because bicycles are not cheap. I'm sorry your bike was stolen.

I used to carry my bike up into my apt when I lived on the 1st floor. I then moved to the 2nd floor and carried on doing it, but after about 2 weeks of this, I had a very injured back and couldn't ride the bike for 3 months! I now figure, my back is worth more than the bike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12