Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Re: Grocery store recommendations for a foodie?

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Forgot to add ...

By the way, Epicure has an excellent deli. Tuna salad, turkey meatballs, prepared salads, all very delish. Oh and there ready-to-go hot meals counter is amazing ... great for those days you want a nice hot meal but don't want to eat out.

Zekedad, have you been to the "George Jetson" Publix by Sunset Harbour or did you go to the one on Dade Boulevard?

The Whole Foods on West Avenue is not a full-service one. It used to be called Wild Oats. The one in Coral Gables is huge and has EVERYTHING.

FYI The Dade Blvd aka art deco publix, has a reasonable kosher food section, the publix at 5th has the best cuban food section (in my opinion).

Thanks will check it all out. Have to been to the 5th St & George Jetson Publix, but not the Dade Street (btw, think that their fried chicken is pretty great).

Default Epicure in Sunny Isles

I agree with Maria about Epicure's deli, really good tuna and veggies. However the store is tiny but check out their newer store on Collins in Sunny Isles. Its probably 3 times the size and has lots more of everything and lots of stuff not available at Epicure.

Maria, I believe the Publix with the parking above is by a famous Italian architect. I love it and sent it to my students. Quite a bit nicer than H and Demeurons garage on Lincoln.

Hi Sun! Is the parking by a different architect than the rest of the building?

Epicure in Sunny Isles used to be the famous Rascal House ... RH's demise took place about a year or so ago. I haven't been back.

No the parking lot IS the building! Thats what makes it so exciting. Its the opposite of the Surfside Publix where the parking is on the ground and the store is above. I like the way the parking is handled at the "jetsons" Publix much better than 1111 Lincoln.

I am not nostalgic for the Rascal House as when I was really young and took my wife and son, age 2 to eat breakfast there we waited so long for a table that though there were rolls on the table when we sat, the waitress rudely removed them while we were sitting and said too late its lunchtime. When we wouldn't order a meal for the two year old and had him share our meal she imposed a sharing charge. I said I wouldn't pay, she said they would call the cops and the end of the story was that I had enough change to deduct the charge and leave it on the table and left before she called the cops. I refused to go back. It does make a great Epicure though.

I always enjoyed going to the "Jetsons" publix because the parking flowed smoothly to the entrance and then it was fun going up the escalator with the cart. Parking at the Art Deco Publix was always a pain in the butt.

What an awful experience at Rascal House! I will have to check out the Epicure next time I'm there.

Did you all know they built another "Jetsons" Publix (never heard that term before) right near Las Olas in Lauderdale? I was there the other day, kinda weirded me out.

Default Re: Grocery store recommendations for a foodie?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Did you all know they built another "Jetsons" Publix (never heard that term before) right near Las Olas in Lauderdale? I was there the other day, kinda weirded me out.
    Hey Matt where is it? I didn't think that kind of architecture went over in Fort Lauderdale, more south beach style. A friend of mine tried to sell her house in Palm Beach Gardens when things were good but the modern design was deemed too bold for that area, realtor said it belonged in south beach. Huh, huh, I was the architect, what did I know?

Matt, is this the Publix near the Andrews Ave bridge & the jail?

SW 6th St. Just west of Andrews Ave.

I checked out the Publix on Google maps street view. Its pretty nice for a Publix, especially given its generally contemporary look. I wouldn't put it in the class as our Publix, more like our new publix on 6th and Alton. Boy do I wish they would fill up the street frontage and get someone to put merchandise in the windows on the side. Can anyone tell me why the west side of that building has NO landscaping? Its pretty strange given the small footprint palm trees make.

All the years I spent in Fort Lauderdale before I "graduated" to south beach were spent on the intracoastal just south of Sunrise. We watched them build the boardwalk and tear down most of the honkeytalk stuff, remember wet tee shirt contests? I never knew there was much up there west of downtown and US1

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Zekedad, although we are going into mango/avocado season (no more veggies), let me know if you want to do a "Maria" tour of the Redlands. I can show you this agricultural area and we can stop at Robert's for produce and Schnebly Winery for a tasting.
    Maria, what is this Redlands organics? Their website doesn't seem to work.

I have totally had it with the Publix in Surfside. The produce seems to go bad in a day or two, the other perishable food doesn't seem to do better (two times in a row now a half gallon of milk went bad way before the exp. date). So sick of my grocery money going down the drain and sick of having to return to the store to get yet another item that has gone bad before I had a chance to use it.

In frustration, I drove all the way to WF just to get a decent head of lettus and some better produce.

Hi LauraB! Redlands Organics is a CSA program. I'm not sure why their site is down, but I'll ask around.

I'm sorry to hear that about the Surfside Publix. There is a Publix in Sunny Isles. Maybe that one will be better for you. Are you going to the Whole Foods in Aventura or the one in South Beach?

There was a farmer's market in Surfside but that closed. The one in Normandy Isle is currently operating: The Market Company: Premier Farmers Market, Festival, and Special Events Planners for South Florida It's all day Saturday.

I heard a farmer's market in Hollywood is set to open up this month too. Anybody planning to make a visit?

I read somewhere online yesterday that there is an organic farmer's market at Penn and Lincoln, in front of the Lincoln Theatre on Sundays. I've been to Lincoln Rd on Sunday several times and never noticed it before. Does anyone know if it is something new, or did I just miss it before??

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Beach Bum View Post
    I read somewhere online yesterday that there is an organic farmer's market at Penn and Lincoln, in front of the Lincoln Theatre on Sundays. I've been to Lincoln Rd on Sunday several times and never noticed it before. Does anyone know if it is something new, or did I just miss it before??
    The Market Company organizes the farmers market on Lincoln Road, along with most of the farmers markets in Miami. They're website says the market on Lincoln Road takes place every Sunday from 9:00 am to 6:30 pm. See a list of farmers markets.

Unfortunately, the times I visited the market on Lincoln Road, the fruits and vegetables were pretty sparse, mostly just stands selling bonsai plants, honey, and that Peruvian flute music.

There used to be plenty of produce vendors but that may have fizzled out a bit. I remember going to Lincoln Road late in the afternoon when they were eager to get rid of their inventory. You could buy fruits and veggies for very cheap. Ditto with the flower vendors.

Can anyone tell me the best farmers markets in the southern area of Miami (I live in the Kendall area)...open on saturdays and/or sundays?

Hi Julie!

I'm not aware of any markets out by your area other than places where you can buy fresh produce like Robert is Here, which is closed September and October. Often you can find individual vendors selling produce off Krome Avenue. There is a Pinecrest market but that is closed for the season.

I asked around so if I learn anything new, I'll come back and post here.

rk

What about the Redlands market (near US 1 and 248 St)?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast