Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Preferred Member

Michelle, what's with the frog, are you a prince or princess?

I didn't think a picture would cause such a controversy. Gus has been asking me to change it since I added it.

I'm a princess that has been feeling a little froggy with all this rain we've been having. Aren't the colors beautiful?

Preferred Member

Kermit? There is a wonderful frog exhibition here at the Houston Museum of Science, but I have not been to see it yet, perhaps this weekend.

Welcome to Miami, Tito! I've spent much of my life in New Orleans, also -- recently moved here from the lower Garden District! I had a few concerns about coming here at first, also, based on some negative press I'd read from some disgruntled people in various internet forums, but I can say that the complaints people have are the same you might have in any number of US cities, and, after being here for a month, I find that this city is what you make of it. And we are loving it! There is such a great energy here. I'm sure you and Francia will, too! It's actually much less stressful than life in post-Katrina New Orleans.

Preferred Member

Doug, I grew up in Nawlins! De la Salle High School on St Charles, lived at 2727 Chestnut right behind Commander's Palace. Mom and Dad had an art gallery on 312 Royal St. NO is really what I call home but I have no family there now. I left in 77 when I went away to college. Just went through about 3 weeks ago. The quarter etc... are completely intact but as you get out and about all of those old mom and pop places that really made new orleans, are gone. Well, I make a mean pot of red beans and rice with smoked sausage. That goes with me wherever I end up!

heheh....I'll be over next week with some Dixie Beer! I used to pass Commander's every day on my walk. And you're right, even though most things are now in tact, the blue tarps are fewer and the FEMA trailers not as abundant, it still hasn't got its groove back. People are stressed, from the check-out ladies at the A&P on Magazine to the drivers speeding through the streets, plowing down the traffic signals. I wasn't getting half my mail, despite assurances by the Post Office that it was arriving like it was supposed to, and the evening news (nearly 2 years later) was still filled with Katrina this and that, and horrific crime stories.

I think you'll find a lot some positive similarities between Miami and New Orleans. They both have a certain exotic vibe that feels very different from the generic sprawl of other cities. Even though people here can be a little more superficial and trend-conscious, you can escape it all easily enough at places like Jimbo's on Virginia Key -- a bocci ball shack with live music, cheap beer and smoked fish perched on the edge of a mangrove lagoon that was once the filming location for Flipper!

It's really a small world. Once, during a visit here a while back, a friend and I were doing the Calle Ocho tour and stopped in at a Cuban cigar shop. Ready to break out my best Spanish, I was surprised to learn the Cuban owner also grew up in New Orleans! He was more of a yat than I was!

Suzanne C

Woohoo, a new Sofla resident!

Welcome to you and Francia, Tito. I'm so happy to hear that you've accepted a position and are on your way. If you have any 'local' questions once you've arrived, remember we're still here to help!

and Michelle is a very pretty princess...but that frog is cool.

Preferred Member

Suzy,

Saw your Nicky. Cute boy. He needs to meet our Alexa. She is Tremendous (Tremenda!). She is 4 going on 8, born Jan 28 2003. We need to find schooling for her, we had everything set up here in Houston for this August, but now that has all changed. She does not speak English, which is one of the reasons we moved back to the US a year ago. I'll try to post a photo you can show Nicky.

Suzanne C

Hey Flyingman!

How can I not admit that I make pretty babies! He's gonna be a heartbreaker huh? He was born August of 03 so I can definitely give you some tips on schools. I can tell you that Alexa is old enough to attend public and private schools as the requirement is 4 by September 1st of the current year (07-08). Don't worry about her not speaking English though. Nick didn't speak it until he started pre-school in February of this year and now all he speaks is English and my grandmothers are giving me grief about it. Alexa will learn it and quickly. Buy her some Elmo DVD's a few weeks before.

Pero que no se le olvide el espanol. Alexa tendra muchisimas ventajas si puede hablar mas de un idioma.

Preferred Member

Absolutely! All my kids are bilingual, or will be. My dad was the spanish speaker in our home, it was like Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz! But he never spoke spanaish with us so I had to learn after I went to live and work in Central America.

I have found a some photos of Alexa but they will not load up here, can I PM them?

Tito

Suzanne C

By all means, send them please!

Preferred Member

Tried but I don't see where or how to load it up.

Is there anyone out there that can explain how to upload a jpg that exceeds the standard allotted size?

Gus should have an answer for you shortly :)

Preferred Member

I could send it to Gus's e-mail and perhaps he can make it fit.

Preferred Member

Guys, I have found ZipRealty.com and I find it to be very helpful in my home search. Very informative, easy to navigate, good details, etc... Is this a good one or are there better sites than that?

It also very apparent looking at the sale trends over the past year just how downward the home sales market is going. Prices in almost all areas are dropping in $/sq ft and the number of home sales is really dropping. It is amazing vs just 6 months to a year ago.

Suzanne C

Flyingman:

Do you have any sort of image software like Photo Shop on your computer? You can try downloading irfanview.

Simply resize the picture and try to resubmit.....

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Tito, I sent you a private message with my email.

Preferred Member

Been quiet over there! Everyone out at the beach or what? I'm still waiting for my move date. Old company in Houston doesn't want to let me go before end of Sept. I'd like to get out ASAP. Been looking at lots of real estate at Zip Realty. Market continues to be favorable for buyers, if they can find any! More bad news for sellers this past week it seems. I am really hopeful I will luck out.

Wife and I hope to make our first house hunting trip end of August. Our plan is to find a nice apartment or TH very close to my new office on Brickell.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hey, Tito, I just got back from the beach and saw you posted. You caught me at a good time. I'm getting ready to take my afternoon nap. How's it going?

We were just talking about purchasing condos in Brickell. It looks like there's going to be 7,000 new places to choose from in the next 18 months. You know what they say about supply and demand.

There should be lots to see in August.

Don't forget to come check out Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay. I suggest looking east of US 1, as far south as SW 152 St. (Coral Reef Drive). It gets really nice down here.

Preferred Member

Well, we will just rent first few months there near Brickell. I have a friend here in Houston that bought a condo, still under construction. He said he paid $450k for it. I have no idea what or where (he mentioned 900 block of Brickell). He did it as an investment. I think he is in some trouble now.

I asked earlier if anyone liked the Zip Realty website, nobody answered?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast