Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Moving to Miami next month...need help!

Good Evening Everyone.
    I am transferring to Miami next month for my job and have been trying to find a residence. I will be working downtown on Brickell...specifically near the 1000 block. Single male in late 20's really looking for 4 things. Security, Proximity to work, Price, Near plenty of activities....ie...jogging, beach, restaurants..etc. Price range is realistically $1000-$1500 per month. I have looked at Bay Parc Plaza, Met1 and The Ivy thus far...but is there anything closer to the beach or not downtown?? Coming from the Midwest so this is a major life change...wish me luck
    Thank you all in advance

Congrats on your new job and moving to Miami.

Brickell is a great area for young professionals to live in, it has a good nightlife, restaurants...all the things you want except the beach is of course a drive over the causeway, or you have Key Biscayne too.

I don't know the actual buildings I'm afraid, I live on the beach but I have a friend who lives in Brickell and she loves it.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Default Re: Moving to Miami next month...need help!

Quote Originally Posted by jmbradburn View Post
    I have looked at Bay Parc Plaza, Met1 and The Ivy thus far...
    Have you seen the building in person?

My suggestion is to weed through Craigslit and see as many places as possible.

Will you have a car in Miami?

I have not seen any of these buildings in person as I am still in Indiana. I will have my car in Miami but would prefer to not drive that far to work. Is there anywher I can live that is closer to the beach...maybe with some jogging/hiking areas. Something with a small neighborhood feel....with the ability to walk to places. I am trying to avoid the concrete jungle of downtown.
    Thank you

Look at South of Fifth in South Beach. You'd have a commute to work, but it wouldn't be bad, maybe 20 minutes. SoFi is a great small neighborhood right next to the beach. You can walk everywhere, and it is surrounded by the beach, South Pointe Park and the marina. It also has a jogging track to go all the way around South Pointe. And the only high rises are at the very end so it's not so bad.

Jess,
    That sounds like exactly what I am looking for...would they have anything in the $1000-$1500 range? I assume that area is pretty safe? Finally do you know any specific names of places of do I just look for 5th street?
    Thank you

They will definitely have apartments in that range. Go to craigslist and type in the search engine your budget and South of Fifth in the area and see what comes up.

rk

An additional way to search (and less likely to be scammed) is by searching for rentals via the mls at someplace like realtor.com

When you trade downtown/Brickell for SoFi, keep your expectations realistic. You will be trading quality and size for location.

I found a lot of SOFI listings but they do seem older and smaller. So please correct me if I am wrong but it appears I only have a few options. Live in Brickell/Downtown and get a more modern condo with more square footage, but be trapped in the concrete jungle..........or live in SOFI and have better surroundings (beach, shopping, outdoor activities) but smaller and more run down living accomodations???

rk

That is the essential trade-off. Of course, one person's "concrete jungle" is another person's "modern building with pool and view", and one person's "smelly building with bugs" is another's "charming and cozy boutique in the heart of everything", so it's all in how you look at it.

That said, you can probably find something suitable in either location if you spend the effort looking. Under no circumstances sign anything long-term without checking it in person. I think you mentioned you're from the midwest, so expect generally lower quality and a higher ratio of unreliable landlords. But then again you're trading for better weather, in winter at least.

Personally, I would go for South Beach over Brickell. Being able to walk to the ocean is one of the biggest pluses of living in Miami. I'm not sure what constitutes run-down, but I love the historic deco buildings. The one I used to live in on Michigan and 7th was very nice, with shiny hardwood floors and central air. Of course, there was no off-street parking, dishwasher or garbage disposal, but that wasn't a problem for me. I don't like high-rise living because it feels so inaccessible to the world below. Plus, if there were a fire, it could get scary being 86 stories up!
    Last edited by Doug; 05-11-2010 at 02:56 PM.

Doug, et al
    It sounds like the quality of living is better in SOFI, but how bad is the insect problem..like are we talking I will be killing cockroaches everyday and having maintenance problems? As far as Brickell...is it all urban/downtown or will there be anything for me to do outside...park, walking, water, shopping??

Quote Originally Posted by jmbradburn View Post
    Doug, et al
    It sounds like the quality of living is better in SOFI, but how bad is the insect problem..like are we talking I will be killing cockroaches everyday and having maintenance problems? As far as Brickell...is it all urban/downtown or will there be anything for me to do outside...park, walking, water, shopping??
    As far as the Brickell area, my biased opinion will suggest Brikell Key. As the name suggests, it's surrounded by water the Island Walk goes around the Island. The main developer maintains two green areas that we use as parks. One is ocean front, the newer one in the interior. The Italian restaraunt got shut down, but the japanese one is a nice one. There is also Islander Market which suits every need until you can go reral grocery shopping.
    The Key insulates you from the rift raft. It discourages visitors if you have no reason to be there. The main reason is for lack of public parking.

It's your best option in the area

Looks like I might have found one.......a place called Flamingo.

I think this is a thing that varies by the building. I lived a couple of blocks north of SOFI, and loved the location close to the Meridian Market (6th and Meridian). We didn't have any bugs in our apartment -- the windows stayed shut all the time, and there was weather-stripping under the doors. We used to see cool geckos on the outside windows, especially after a rain, but bugs weren't an issue there. I didn't have any maintenance problems except for one time I tried to open one of the louver-windows and couldn't get it closed again, but I eventually figured it out. So, this was one building -- next door, it could have been another story. There are probably also places in Brickell that have bug problems.

There is a park in Brickell and shopping, but it's too urban/dense for me personally. There is water nearby, but you can't swim in it. It's the dirty Biscayne Bay...if you just like to look at boats and sunrises, it might work for you.

I appreciate your feedback Doug. It seems like we are on the same page. I am trying to avoid the dense urban vibe and get more of a neighborhood beach atmosphere. I have found 2 thus far. Lunamar at Lincoln and the Flamingo Tower

Yes, assume that all low-mid rise buildings in South Beach have insect/rodent problems until you hear otherwise directly from the neighbors. If you really like a low-rise take a peek at the notices from the management company. Call and ask if they spray around the building and in the apartments every month. And then hang around and ask neighbors. No one should have to live with bugs-it's disgusting.

As for the Flamingo..it's a high rise that attracts a lot of newcomers, it's very social (some complain of a frat-party like atmosphere), and it has all the ammenities you could want. I was assured that they have no insect problems when I was looking to escape my apartment with bugs.

Will you be renting furnished from an owner in the condo tower or unfurnished in the rental building?

Unfurnished. Basically looking to get my foot in the door in a nice social area...and not feel confined to a concrete jungle. I was in a fraternity in college so that does not bother me. Oh and hopefully not overrun by insects

Default Condo Tower Notes

Here are my notes from when I was considering moving there. I decided against it because I didn't like the location-too far from the beach (I have no car), didn't like the bathroom, and thought it was too expensive for what it was.

Gorgeous lobby
    nice mini grocery store
    package pick up/dry cleaning
    doorman
    parking for visitors (pay)
    2 memberships to the David Barton Gym..so you can be on a treadmill and looking at the Bay and skyline, classes..but it seemed to me just like a regular, nice gym. I was expecting it to be more trendy and fun. I heard the one in the Gansevort has spin classes with live DJ's
    the local bus passes by
    when you step outside toward the bay, you feel as if you're at a nice hotel..lush palm landscaping, big pool facing the bay, nice lounge chairs...hot tub, the rental tower pool has parties on sat and there's a tiki bar.
    There's a nice promenade for walking along the bay
    Parking space is extra
    on-site dog groomer
    A/c is included in condo tower

Location-2 blocks to Alton Rd..starbucks, blockbuster.lime..quarterdeck
    close to publix and 3 blocks to the top of Lincoln rd..4 blocks to Mondrian

Negatives..I worry it's isolated and people don't leave the complex that much. But you could def walk to lincoln to meet friends at the movies, lucky stricke, segafredo, shop, and go to dinner

Far from the beach, gym is extra for rental tower

Hope this helps!

It definitely helps a lot. I like the majority of what you listed, but when you say far from the beach.....like its too far to walk? Where should I look if I want closer? I also have been looking at Lunamar at Lincoln. Also which tower should I be looking at or does it matter. I see North, South, Center

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast