Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default How safe is South Miami near South Miami Hospital?

Hello everybody! :long:

I am relocating to Miami and had heard that some parts of South Miami near South Miami hospital are not safe, near are the "hoods" is this true? Why is this bad? I think if you respect others they will let you be, in fact I had seen this only from movies since I come from a small town..hm

I was wondering to live next to Murray Park; shops of the sunset place, somewhere around SW 60th Ave South Miami, FL 33143 is this a good place?

Thank you all!
    Have a great day!

Greeting from EU,

Marsha :-)

Suzanne C

Good morning (again) Marsha.

Other than the info I sent to you in the private message, I'm going to try to find crime stats for South Miami today. It should be relatively easy as my aunt is a "big whig" for the city of South Miami. I think I know which apartments you are referring to (Valencia).

Are they the newer ones close to Larkin Hospital and the South Miami Metrorail station?

UPDATE:

Marsha those are the apartments I was thinking of. They are nice. Yes, you have some less desirable areas immediately NE of you but you are two blocks away from the police station and a school. Valencia is a good choice + all you have to do is cross the street to hop on the metrorail. I still don't know if I would walk across US1 to get to Sunset Place though but like I told you earlier, there is a crosswalk and traffic lights. Just be careful to look both ways TWICE!!!

Hi Marsha, I am replying here instead of PM just in case the answer may be helpful to others.

Suzy is spot on with the info. The "ghetto" is not the worst neighborhood in Miami and it is surrounded by the affluent sections of South Miami and Coral Gables, including the main university campus. I used to drive by there everday on my way to the university. I lived on 80th street near 62nd avenue for years.

Funny you should ask, because at one point when I considered moving back to Miami (I am on Miami Beach now) that was the best building for renting. My dad didn't want me to live in that building because of its proximity to the so-called ghetto ... however, that is also because he is paranoid and overprotective of his old spinster daughter! ;-P

It is a VERY NICE building and the streets immediately around it are quiet and clean. I think it is a great choice because it has gated parking and security. Some other apartments in S. Miami are rentals predominantly occupied by university students but they are very open to the street and I was never tempted to move into any of them even if they were on the other side of US1.

All the streets in S. Miami are generally dark and secluded at night (it is also very lush and pretty) so I don't think you'd be doing a lot of walking anyway. That is the only thing I would caution you to avoid ... walking around alone at night ... and that's pretty much true of all Miami.

The Valencia is in an up and coming section of S. Miami, surrounded by a hotel, offices and medical buildings. You are two blocks from Metrorail and extremely close to downtown shopping in South Miami, which is attractive although very small (just a few blocks) ... save for the walking around at night issue, it is a GREAT practical location because you are very close to shopping, restaurants and conveniences that you can take advantage of during the day.

As Suzy pointed out, you are also two blocks from the police station ... public library is there as well and the post office is just west.

And there is a great place (inexpensive) to get manicures and pedicures on Sunset Drive!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

I am relocating to Miami and had heard that some parts of South Miami near South Miami hospital are not safe
    MARSHA, nothing could be farther from the truth. The area near South Miami Hospital is very nice.

For quite some time, I've said how South Beach is the ONLY place to live in Miami, but after seeing the neighborhood near South Miami Hospital, I must reconsider what I say.

There are tons of cool shops and restaurants surrounding Sunset Place.

For apartment rentals, I especially like the area just east of US 1 and 60th Street.

Would you consider having a roommate and renting a small house? I saw 3 houses for rent, all within close proximity to the hospital. If you would like, I will private message you the details.

BTW, "hood" is just a slang word for "neighborhood". It's often used as an endearing term to describe where one lives (i.e. Yo, my car broke down. Can you cruise by my hood, and pick me up?).

Photos: 3 shots of South Miami Hospital, Metrorail Station near the hospital, Sunset Place shopping mall, Valencia apartment complex.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

New User

Dear Gus!!! :-)

You are the best!!!I cant belive you went down and took the pictures;=)I am so happy:=)
    If you ever come to Europe feel free to ask me anything;)About the houses yes you can email me the adresses:)thank you so much :cheese: yes you acn send me the house rent ads...and by the world hood I meant the bad neibourhooods..

Have a great day!!!!

Gus

I'm happy to help, MARSHA.

Below are a few more pictures of South Miami east of US 1.

After seeing pictures of the neighborhood, are you still concerned about the safety?

Photos: 1. Main Street; 2. Einstein Bagels; 3. Deli Lane Cafe; 4. Winn Dixie grocery store; 5. Street parking with a view of South Miami Hospital

Gus

Here are two houses for rent. The first house is a 3 bedroom, the second house is a 4 bedroom. They're both located just north of the hospital at SW 60 PL and 45th Street. I'll private message you the phone numbers.

New User

In the same general area: What about SW 79th street? Its just east of US-1????
    We are moving there soon

That area is fine. The bad parts of South Miami are basically West (North) of US-1 from about US-1 to Miller Drive. From Red Road over to about 62nd Street or so. Anything on the East (South) side of the highway is ok.

New User

thanks matt

I think Matt and Maria should be on MiamiBeach411.com's payroll for all their great advice, contributing in to the thousands ( posts ). Matt and Maria always spot on. I have nothing more to add here.

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone !!!

Thanks, Jon! We are already on the payroll ...

Topsy, I live in that area, but closer to Sunset Place. It is a great neighborhood and lovely community ... you are right there west edge of South Miami before it becomes Pinecrest. If you need additional advice about South Miami, let me know.

New User

I live in the Dadeland area, and I haven't had any issues.