Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Living in Pinecrest or Palmetto Bay?

(channeling my inner rk)....Actually, I believe the Palmetto is technically a shrub, not a tree. I only know this because I heard someone making fun of South Carolina saying that its official tree isn't even a f*cking tree. People at UF look for things to do...

Sure thing, UTS! Let me know.

Hmm, Matt, that's interesting. It is definitely a "palm tree" though ... but some palms are very short and maybe that's why they're confusing it with a shrub. In fact "palmetto" can translate as "small palm tree"

No, I mean I think the actual species (or whatever) that is the Palmetto (the thing on South Carolina's flag) is technically considered a shrub. Maybe a tall shrub, but a shrub nonetheless.

New User

Default Re: Living in Pinecrest or Palmetto Bay?

Okay after living here for a year I thought I'd return to this thread, and since I can't remember the "phasor" password, I thought why not now just be me. Anyway, here's few Palmetto Bay observations...

1) Palmettos are just a type of Palm, or more specifically a type of Fan Palm. Some are tall, some are like little shrubs but they all have leaves that spread out like fans. And Matt, I can confirm there are plenty of Palmetto Bugs.

2) Commuting to/from the University of Miami takes about 12 minutes during off hours and about 30/40 minutes between 8-9:30am and 3:00 - 5:30

3) ALWAYS make COMPLETE stops for Stop signs in Pinecrest, especially at the end/beginning of the month. I believe Matt mentioned this somewhere.

4) If you fail to do number 3, call Hochman And Goldin, trust me on that one.

5) I liked the fact that they biggest local news item when I moved in was that Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay announced a reciprocity agreement that Golf carts register in one town can drive into the other. (Apparently there was already a reciprocity agreement with Pinecrest.)

6) Finally, for anyone moving to the area, it is a great place for kids, where else can kids ride bikes through a quarter mile of protected crocodile reserve, and then swim across a canal to enjoy a yacht club's, always empty, private beach
    Last edited by Michael B; 11-15-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Hi Michael B,

I like your observations.

Thank you for the heads up about stop signs in Pinecrest; I don't think about that when driving from Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza back home (to Palmetto Bay), but now I will.

2) Commuting to/from the University of Miami takes about 12 minutes during off hours and about 30/40 minutes between 8-9:30am and 3:00 - 5:30
    That's not bad commute time off hours!

5) I liked the fact that they biggest local news item when I moved in was that Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay announced reciprocity agreement that Golf carts register in one town can drive into the other. (Apparently there was already a reciprocity agreement with Pinecrest.)
    I love that part too!!

To me, it's like living in the real suburbs of America with friendly people, and a lack of restaurants.

Ps. If you find any restaurants particularly appealing in this area, please let us know.

New User

Yes the lack of restaurants is an issue, especially since half my family are vegetarians (There's only so many times we can go to Imlee). But at least The Grove isn't that far up Old Cutler.

Anyway, if you like Anthony's have you tried the newish Pizza place near the Palmetto Bay City Hall?

Thanks for updating us on your experience living in the Miami 'burbs! So, from what you say, I gather: the police spend a lot of time on people who run stop signs, there isn't a whole lot going on there, and it's great place to commute to UM off hours. Aside from that, is it everything you were hoping it would be?

Swimming in the canals? Ew. That's just asking for some kind of mutation.
    GandJ likes this.

Welcome back to the forums, Michael B! Thanks for your input.

Michelle and Michael, I love Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza! Don't forget you have South Miami relatively nearby (closer than the Grove) and there are plenty of great restaurants there.

I'm not sure about the canal swimming either ... but I do think this is a great place for kids to enjoy street life that doesn't involve thugs. The crocs are probably safer.

PS one of the very few traffic tickets I ever got was in Pinecrest. I was rushing my injured parrot to Dr. Harris' Avian and Exotic clinic and I cut through a gas station. My bird needed an emergency visit because she had hurt her beak and could have been dying. Police pulled me over and didn't care I had a visibly injured pet in the car, never mind I was only a few storefronts down. He had no compassion whatsoever. I should have stopped at the vet, taken the bird in first THEN dealt with him. I got a ticket but at least my bird was ok.

Welcome back Michael!

I'm glad you like Palmetto Bay! I get to stay there when I visit Gus and Michelle. It really is a nice suburban area with some great stores. It's also ridiculously close to the mall. Michelle and I saw signs for a Fresh Market opening soon.

That's why I prefer living in Miami city limits where you have to photograph the cop in order to get their attention.

Not in Miami Shores though, right Carlos?

Having friends and work colleagues in Palmetto Bay I am going to say it seems very nice peaceful and pretty in this area. I think it would be a good choice for relocating away from City feel. However the commute to certain parts of Miami from Palmetto Bay and back could be a turn off.

I really like all the lush foliage there, as well as the park. It has a nice trail around it and everything is very peaceful. A world away from the hectic pace of Miami and South Beach! It's not very culturally stimulating, but culture is not far away when you need it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12