Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Living in Pinecrest or Palmetto Bay?

New User

Default Living in Pinecrest or Palmetto Bay?

My wife and I are moving to the Miami Area. We'll both be working at U of M. We'll be bringing our two kids, ages 4 and 8. We've lived most in San Francisco and Philadelphia and the kids have spent there whole lives in Downtown Philadelphia. We probably have about 450K - 550K budget to spend on a house. Is there any reason why we wouldn't want to live in Pinecrest or Palmetto Bay. Although it can be fun, both of us are a bit tired of the hassles of raising kids downtown, and Palmetto Bay and Pinecrest seem like a pretty short commute to Gables. Neither of us want to send the kids to private schools (since we'd like to retire someday), so those to areas seem to have decent schools(all the way through high school) without the hassles and uncertainties of lotteries and magnet schools.

So does Palmetto Bay/Pinecrest sound like the right place for us, or does anyone have other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Gus; 05-14-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: edited the title

Palmetto Bay sounds pretty good for what you are looking for. It's a nice quiet area, but the commute to the Gables can be bad depending on what time of day you will be traveling there. When are you moving down?

Default Re: Living in Pinecrest or Palmetto Bay?

Hi Phasor, Welcome!

If you are tired of the city, then Palmetto Bay or Pinecrest is PERFECT!! Gus and I live in Palmetto Bay and we LOVE it!! I never felt like Miami was a place I could settle down and call home until I moved there.

It is really a family-oriented town. Since I'm not a mommy, I sometimes feel out of place but I still love the quiet, and it is nice to have a yard and nice neighbors.

There are only 2 negatives - traffic, and there aren't enough restaurants. Other than that, it a wonderful place.

Traffic in the am to Coral Gables will be heavy but honestly, it is not that far away (not so far that it should deter you from living in a wonderful town).

New User

Thanks Michelle and Matt. Matt, your Miami relocation guide is both hilarious and very informative. We're planning on moving sometime in July or early August. One question however, if we are not able to close on a house before school starts are there apartments for rent in Palmetto Bay?

Yes there are. Right on 152nd St. and US-1 there's a couple of complexes. I lived in the one behind Alf's Golf Shop for a year and it wasn't bad.

Hi phasor! Welcome to the forums. I will concur that Palmetto Bay is great, not to mention beautiful! It's not as lush as Pinecrest but the landscaping there is gorgeous.

You might also consider City of South Miami, which is much closer to UM. There is a good arts magnet school plus Sunset Elementary. A friend of mine who is moving back to Miami with her kids is considering this area. South Miami is family friendly and the downtown area offers lots of shopping/restaurant options, plus it's literally a stone's throw to UM. This is not a "downtown" like you're used to, but a small kind of "hometown" feeling area with lots of conveniences, including a movie theater and gym.

I'm not sure about real estate prices but I did want to tell you about this neighborhood. I suspect it may be priced lower than Pinecrest or Palmetto Bay, but again, that's not really my area of expertise.

New User

Default Thanks everyone

Just wanted to say thanks to Matt and Michelle. Thanks to the magic of Zillow, Realtor.com, the iPhone, and an obsessive compulsive month of use of said devices I'm now living in Palmetto Bay and pretty much loving it. My son is starting soccer at Coral Reef Park and I have to admit, I don't miss the random hypodermic needles and condoms dotting the playfields in Philadelphia.

Like Matt mentioned in his latest blog entry, I love the 1/2 day vacation to South Beach that I can take whenever I need it. Sure the commute the Gables may be a bit farther than South Miami, but it's not too bad, and their definitely seems to be more bang for the buck as far as house and land size in Palmetto Bay. South Miami prices are more on par with Pinecrest prices or they have very small yards.

And Matt, the kids haven't moved on to hard drugs yet, but it's hard to imagine worse influences here than in Philadelphia . . . think Jersey Shore . . . without the shore.

Anyway thanks for the advice
    Michael

Congrats on the move!!!

Congrats Phasor! Feel free to share more about life in Palmetto Bay ... soon you'll be our Palmetto Bay expert too :-)

Glad you like it down there! Yeah, to me it's like the peace and tranquility of Broward without the embarrassment of living in Broward. Best of both worlds!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    to me it's like the peace and tranquility of Broward without the embarrassment of living in Broward. Best of both worlds!!!!
    I am curious to know why is an "embarassment" to live in Broward. I apologize for my ignorance, but since I am thousands of miles away, I have not idea what's wrong with Broward, LOL.

Haha. Oh, nothing. But as Carlos said in his article, it's called "Coward County" by a lot in Dade. Like for people who can't handle the Miami insanity. Hey, I LOVE Broward, but as I've said moving there is admitting defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Haha. Oh, nothing. But as Carlos said in his article, it's called "Coward County" by a lot in Dade. Like for people who can't handle the Miami insanity. Hey, I LOVE Broward, but as I've said moving there is admitting defeat.
    Matt, Some people live in a place that makes them happy, a place that suits their needs and lifestyle. Not everyone needs to live in a place that's "challenging" to see if they can deal with the "Miami insanity" and overcome the obstacles. I think you enjoy the challenges of living in Dade, and they entertain you. But when people have a long day, they just want to come home to a place they love, not a neighborhood that gives them stress.

Phasor, I'm glad you're enjoying Palmetto Bay. I've been to Gus and Michelle's house and I love it there. It's so pretty and peaceful, and you're not living in the mayhem of Miami Beach, but you're close enough to it. My only complaint about Palmetto Bay is #1 I don't like the name at all and #2 when you go for walks the trees are not mature enough to offer any shade.

Michelle, I know how you feel when you see all the strollers. Sometimes I feel the same way.
    Last edited by sungal; 09-18-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Phasor, I am so happy you decided to move to Palmetto Bay. Coral Reef Park is awesome - it's just missing the olympic-sized pool and skate park. Other than that, it's a great place to go and get some exercise.

I find the city itself much more civilized than other areas of Miami and that is why we love it; of course the big yards and peacefulness of it all definitely helps!

Christy, Palmetto Bay is named well - you can find lots of Palmetto bugs if you keep your eyes open

I know that freaks you out - jk.

I always liked going down to Palmetto Bay. It felt so peaceful compared to South Beach. It was a lot greener, too. I can relate, though, to what Michelle says about feeling a little out of place if you don't have a family with the 3.5 kids and the dog, but I suppose it's easy enough to find your own crowd no matter where you live.

P-Bay I think is one of the few parts of Miami where you can have a normal life. But I believe it is named after the plant and not the bugs. Though I think both would qualify.

Raise up for the 33157!!!

Palmetto is a palm tree, very common in South Florida: Sabal palmetto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Palmetto is a palm tree, very common in South Florida: Sabal palmetto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Didn't get a chance to tweet you when you were at the Mandarin yesterday. Did you check out those great specimens on the west walkway ?

No, I didn't... spent all my time indoors at the M Bar. Fantastic martinis!

Would of walked over or have invited you guys to come up if I was in town. I week too late. I'm just past the rotunda on the island.

A rain check is in order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast