Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Driver's Licenses & Car Registration for People on Tourist Visas

I want someone to register a car for me
    Name your price

Hi aa33030, welcome to the forums. Can you explain in more detail why you need a car registered and have to pay someone for it?

New User

Default re: Driver's Licenses & Car Registration for People on Tourist Visas

I will be in Florida for a few months and would like to be able to drive my own car which is cheaper than renting a car

My drivers license is foreign and I don't know if that can be used for registering my car in Florida

and have to pay someone for it?
    Would they do it for free?

Default re: Driver's Licenses & Car Registration for People on Tourist Visas

Quote Originally Posted by aa33030 View Post
    Would they do it for free?
    If you are living here temporarily you should register the car in your name, which you should be able to do. I'm not sure anyone would feel comfortable registering a car in their name for a foreigner to drive. There's just too much liability there and it's probably illegal, especially as far as Department of Homeland Security is concerned.

Please see the rest of my response below.

Default Driver's Licenses & Car Registration for People on Tourist Visas

I was just on the phone with the Department of Motor Vehicles. The wait was long and half-way through the conversation my line dropped. But here is the deal:

You would be considered a "non-immigrant" and in order to get a driver's license, you need:

1. A letter from Social Security Administration indicating that you never were issued a social security number
    2. valid out-of-country passport, driver's license or ID
    3. an official document from Immigration Services/Homeland Security stating how long you are staying and what for (your tourist visa is not enough)
    3. 2 proofs of address:

a) if you are renting an apartment, you can bring in a copy of your lease agreement and a utility bill
    b) if you are living with someone, they have to come with you and sign an affidavit certifying that you are living with them - they will also need to provide 2 proofs of address

Everything you need to know about the requirements is here: Florida Drivers License Identification Requirements

As for purchasing and registering a car, this is when the phone cut me off, but he told me this much: once you purchase the car, you have the title transferred over to you and I think that it's pretty much standard after that. You will have to get a title, tag in your name and I think proof of car insurance is required. More info here: Car Registration Florida

Also, before you leave the country, I imagine you would have to sell the car and then be there for the title transfer once again to the new owner.

I hope this helps!

Default Why not rent a car?

Are you sure all this hassle would be worth it? Some companies do long term rentals. Just google "long term car rental Miami" and you should come up with something.

New User

Default Re: Driver's Licenses & Car Registration for People on Tourist Visas

Long and short term rentals are too costly
    I would prefer shipping my car that I already own to the U.S.
    From there it's just insurance and register

Wouldn't it be costly to ship a car to the US from overseas? I'm just curious.

Also, I believe you are not allowed to have European spec cars here in the US (or where ever your car is from). It has to be up to US car standards and if it's not you'd have to comply with them by changing things in your car which may involve costly mechanical work.

I know this for a fact because I recently drove a European spec Ford Fiesta for six months for a special project and I could not keep the car even if I had wanted to purchase it. It either had to be sent back to Europe or be destroyed. Ford Motor Company ran this project and they were able to get permission to have these cars here for less than a year. I'm sure they had some pull with legal permits because they are a huge corporation. I'm not so sure that would work for an individual on a tourist visa.

Every foreign car you see on the streets here is probably a US standards version.

if u got an international drivers license registering a car is no issue. did it last week. u cant drive here with a license from another country without the approved international license im led to believe. also insurance is had on international license aswell. u can but u will pay a premium. i found pregressive the cheapest with a non usa license