Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well, even if Matt turns out to be right, I don't think you'll regret having done it. I mean your alternative would be to sit around looking back on this and wondering how things might have been if you had taken the plunge. You can always change your mind later on if you want to. And you seem resourceful enough to be able to do so without any horrible consequences!

I've been doing some decent reading on Miami Beach lately, and it seems every success story ends as a greek tragedy.

I can understand the lure for some people, but I never been taken by the hook. I'm not from the midwest,
    If Miami Beach Bum is happy, then I am too. That's what it's all about. Finding your bliss wherever it may be.

Miami beach Bum wrote:

<<<..."you should live a few summers in the Midwest, where it pushes 100 and goes over a few times, and there is no ocean breeze to cool you off, (or blue water nearby to plunge your overheated body into)! I find the summers here much more tolerable than St Louis,"....>>

Miami Beach Bum -
    I totally agree with you. The same thing here in the Washington, DC area. Comparing the times I have been in Miami in the summer to DC, the summers are more miserable here in the Washington, DC area. Our average July high is within a couple degrees of Miami's average July high, but we generally have NO breeze around the DC area on the hot humid days. (The exception was last summer, which was the coldest summer we have had in the DC area in a few decades.)

Now, as for inland Florida...Fuggedaboutit! All the heat and humidity, but without the breeze.

Glenn

I will say, though, the humidity in the summer in Central Florida and points north is not as bad inland. No breeze to speak of, though. This is true.

And Gand, you are the second person to tell me that the mid-Atlantic has the worst summers they've ever experience.d Including many in South Florida. Def. a place to cross of the list of possible residences.

Yes Boca is just up the road and is the complete polar opposite of Miami. If you like miles of perfect subdivision landscaping broken up occasionally by overblown entrances, totally seperated by any sense of business or street life and if you want to be sure you can't walk anywhere, Boca is for you. If you think Boca is hell than Miami Beach is a better choice. There isn't a right or wrong answer.I think Miami Beach feels like another country because it is more European in its feel. Lincoln Road is similar to many small resort towns in the south of France with loads of sidewalk cafes and street life.

I have lived in Michigan most of my life and its also hot and very humid in a normal summer. Of course last summer we had perpetual fall, more Seattle than summer and I couldn't wait for fall to actually arrive and get the hell back to Miami Beach. Certainly the urban lifestyle isn't as popular in America as a suburban lifestyle, its just great that both are available in south Florida and that Miami Beach is so great.

In a brevity, I moved to Miami Beach on my own, didn’t know anyone in November from Wisconsin with 3K and my car and cloths. I found a place to live off of craigslist at the Decoplage, furnished. I had started applying for jobs as a waiter or bartender before I left using my Miami address on my resume and apps.

I applied to places that were hiring off of craiglists and had 2 offers as a waiter at 2 great restaurants within 1 week, keep in mind this was before season in November. I made great money during season and now that it was ending I was looking to change jobs.
    I did have several years experience as a waiter but also just finished undergrad. with an accounting degree. I will be starting a position with one of the nations top banks in the Miami area in mid July. I can say, for the most part, everything has gone as planned and that i have been successful in my relocation.

I dont know how long i play to stay in SoFlo but so far i love it and live in the Edgewater area, between midtown and downtown.

Keys to my success
    -This website!! Thanks everyone for your info and in site
    -I speak Spanish also
    -Was just looking to work in food service for one season and change jobs in summer
    -Have a degree is good
    -Since it is an accounting degree i love a good deal and am very frugal.... at times
    -Positive outlook at all times!!
    -Knowing if it doesnt work i could always go back home
    -Enjoy the heat

Hope this helps others!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Eduardo_; 06-28-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: added some stuff

Eduardo, that's awesome, I wondered what had happened to you, hadn't seen you on here recently. Congratulations with your new job, you really had a great relocation. One of the key things to make it here is going out and getting stuff done yourself, no one is going to hand you things on a plate, Miami is tough. Hard work always pays off here though, so good luck in the new job!

Ya sorry I kinda drop out for some time. When i was working at the restaurant I was working up to 60 hours a week during season so any time off I was enjoying out and around town. I just had a friend come down and move with me and shes finding it difficult to get a job thus far, but she hasnt tried to hard yet either. I let you know how that relocation goes as well.

Thumbs up Re: Any success stories of relocating to Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Well, even if Matt turns out to be right, I don't think you'll regret having done it. I mean your alternative would be to sit around looking back on this and wondering how things might have been if you had taken the plunge. You can always change your mind later on if you want to. And you seem resourceful enough to be able to do so without any horrible consequences!
    This is excellent advice and can be applied to moving anywhere. Doug, I think you told me this too before I moved.

I know lots of success stories of both non-natives and Miami born folks. We've loved it here every minute since we decided to just up and move 7 years ago. (Can't believe it's been that long.) It is exactly what you make of it. If you sit around and whine about the negatives, you probably will be unsuccessful. If you look for and capitalize on opportunities and bring your passion to them, you will be successful. Period.

If you are unhappy where you are and you keep making excuses for NOT making a change in your life, then you will never be successful. You might be complacent and content, but that is the best you can hope for.

Default Re: Any success stories of relocating to Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    If you sit around and whine about the negatives, you probably will be unsuccessful. If you look for and capitalize on opportunities and bring your passion to them, you will be successful. Period.
    Coach, I have literally made a CAREER out of bitching about the negatives of Miami. Like I would not have the life I did today if this city did not have an endless list of negatives to point out to anyone who will listen.

The thing is, the people on this site that are locals, well, obviously we're here because we can handle it. Or even like it. Hence us still living here. But for every one of us, there's probably 5-10 people who hightailed it out within two years. So you are getting a somewhat biased response.

Matt, you are the exception to the rule I think... But it is true, you have made a writing career pointing out all that is wrong with Miami.

Default Moving from Miami to midwest

Hi Boredoutofmymind! Welcome!

Here is a very thorough thread about forum member Twigger's move from the midwest to Miami: http://forums.miamibeach411.com/relo...-my-story.html She hasn't posted in a long time, but I'm assuming she's doing well and liking it here.

I don't know if I can really answer your question because I was born and raised here, save for three years I lived in Venezuela. (I've traveled a lot as well.)

I'm not sure what Tommy means when he says Miami is dysfunctional because no place is perfect expect perhaps some scary Stepford-like community owned by Disney. But obviously, I would never experience the same culture shock as an "American" coming from the midwest, for example.

Also, I have to tell you that even though I speak Spanish, I rarely have to use it in my particular life unless I go to an area of heavy Hispanic concentration. I live in South Miami/Coral Gables now, used to live in mid-beach, south beach and north beach and the language barrier was never an issue (even though I had none). I know that may sound crazy to some of you but I actually feel like I don't speak Spanish enough outside of my family.

Miami-Dade has something for everyone and it all depends on what you make of it. I personally don't like South Beach because it's a little too claustrophobic for me, but that's different strokes for different folks.

Also, if you seek out and hang around with the right folks, you will find many intelligent, enlightened, educated and spiritual people here ... even on the beach. It's not all fluff and floozies and ghetto and clubs.

Also, with a car, live here long enough and your world is not just Miami but Broward, West Palm Beach and the Keys as well. I always find it funny (Sorry Miami Beach Bum! :-) ) when people say they rarely leave the beach because that's like living in a big house and never stepping out of your bedroom.

I don't consider myself a Miamian anymore but really an east coast South Floridian. There are many, many ways to expand your horizons here. But like anywhere else, you have to work at it to seek out the right community and right people for you, and that will take time as you get adjusted here.

New User

Default Re: Any success stories of relocating to Miami?

Eduardo that was a VERY motivating post! It sounds almost exactly how im planning my (escape) move. One question how did you get the Miami address w/o living there?

Matt isn't an exception to the rule. He actually proves my point. He saw an opportunity and capitalized on it. He is not sitting around whining about his situation, he is out hustling writing gigs. And he is writing. Both of those take a lot of effort.

As far as the percentage of people who leave vs stay, that is true of any city built on dreams, Miami, LA, Nashville, NYC. I bet if you look at all those cities, you see about the same rate of recidivism (a little play on words, I mean, the same rate of people moving in then moving back out soon).

Remember this, though, you only truly fail if you do not try.

Coach, you and Annette are definitely a success story, wouldn't you say?

I found a place to live that seemed nice on craiglist. At the time i thought it was a great price but never the less I actually signed the lease prior to moving and payed the money when i showed up to see the place in person. I feel this allowed me to put my actual address down that i would be having so people wouldnt just throw out my resume or apps. Once i returned the lease papers i starting applying to a lot of jobs on career builder and craiglist with this local address.

To be honest i found the moved to be pretty easy but i did have a lot of planning and determination on my side.

LOL ... no problem, Maria ... one day I'll step out of my bedroom!! Funny, I remember reading, somewhere on these forums before I moved here, that it didn't matter much if your dwelling was smaller than you were used to or not exactly to your liking, because all of SoBe will be your backyard!! And that's exactly how I feel now ...

Actually, I work 50+ hrs per week, so I need the weekends to de-stress and driving just isn't relaxing to me. I've never had less than a 45 minute commute to work for my entire career and going anywhere on foot/bike in my hometown was impossible, so driving just seems like a chore now. I feel so blessed that I have this beautiful island to play on two days a week.

However, I just had a girlfriend relocate to the Keys and my 18-yr old son is coming for a visit in July, so now I have two reasons to leave my backyard!!

I'm not sure what Tommy means when he says Miami is dysfunctional because no place is perfect expect perhaps some scary Stepford-like community owned by Disney. But obviously, I would never experience the same culture shock as an "American" coming from the midwest, for example.
    Maria - I toured some model homes today at Disney's Golden Oakes today. They opened yesterday. I wouldn't mind becomming a stepford wife myself. Prices start at 1.8M. In other words, I got mt e-ticket experience in Fantasyland.

I see what you mean coach, you do what you gotta do to live here. But it takes more than a lot of places. The difference, though, people move to LA, NY, and Nashville typically to do something in some field of entertainment. Hence the "city of dreams," thing.

But here? I mean, yeah, you get the immigrants looking for a better life and whatnot, but that's true of places like Phoenix, Dallas and Albuquerque, and nobody's calling those "cities of dreams." Aside from your occasional DJ or Model, what dreams are people coming here for other than not having to deal with winter?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast