Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New User

Default Any success stories of relocating to Miami?

Wow.. I've heard several horror stories of relocating to miami. Do anyone have any good reasons to move to miami?? (trying to stay positive)

Yes, there is at least one.

George Merrick moved down here from Pennsylvania and went on to create the nation's first planned community, Coral Gables, aka known as The City Beautiful.

But wait, Merrick went broke and died penniless, so no, I guess there are no success stories.

hahaha!

I guess it depends on how you define success. Everything is successful if you look at it as a learning experience. For me, living in South Beach was something I wanted to do. And I did it. So I was successful. I just didn't need to do it forever!

Default Re: Are there any success stories of relocating to miami?

Quote Originally Posted by BoredOutMyMind View Post
    Wow.. I've heard several horror stories of relocating to miami. Do anyone have any good reasons to move to miami?? (trying to stay positive)
    A good reason to move to Miami would be:

a job transfer.
    deciding you want to work in the service industry and have a beachy, fun lifestyle.
    You're Spanish, speak Spanish, or ready for a change.om
    You want a fresh start someplace new.

Success stories? I mean sure, it does happen. The majority of the population here is from somewhere else (another country or city in the U.S.) So with 2.2 million people here, I'm guessing it had to work out for SOMEONE.

That being said, this place is soooo transient. If you are not hung up on career or family, and have either a LOT money saved or a job waiting for you. and can handle living in what is essentially another country, then it can be successful for you. I think lacking all of those, though, most folks don't last 2 years.

BoredOutMyMind, I'm a success story. However, I have to make the distinction between Miami and Miami Beach. I don't think I would like Miami at all. In fact, in the almost two years that I have lived there, I think I can count on my two hands the number of times that I have driven across the water, and most of those were meetings for work. Just not the same there, and every time, I sigh when I drive back over the water to this beautiful island.

I DO love the "beachy, fun lifestyle," Sungal. Living and working on the beach is heaven for me. It is a complete change from what I have lived my entire life and I find it energizes me every day. Just waking up and seeing that gorgeous sunrise over the ocean makes me smile. Walking to the beach on a hot, sunny day and immersing myself in that cool, blue water .... AHHHHHH. And ending my day watching the beautiful sun set over the bay ... c'mon, how could I live anywhere else now?? And of course, seeing at least one thing daily that makes me say, "only on the beach ... " Its free entertainment every day here!!

And Matt, I AM at that point in my life where I am not "hung up on family," and my company relocated me here. And I can not only handle, but enjoy, living in what is "essentially another country." You only live once, why not live in summer year round on a beautiful island? Oh, OK, there was a day recently, after a particularly frustrating exchange with someone who didn't exactly speak the most fluent English, that I did slam my fists on my desk and exclaim, "I am moving back to America!" But when I did make a visit back to the Midwest, I felt like I was in the land of the Pillsbury Dough Boy. A bunch of puffy, bloated, white people. I felt like if I poked them they would pop and white powder would fly out everywhere!! I couldn't WAIT to get "home!"

And Doug, I don't "need to do it forever," either. But if and when I DO leave, I am exploring the possibility of retiring out of this country, in essentially the same type of culture, so I guess I will be well adjusted by then, huh?? I just have zero interest in the cookie-cutter, suburbia lifestyle anymore.

My two year anniversary of moving to the beach will be next month. And I love it just as much now, if not more, than I did when I first came here. So, in summary, BoredOutMyMind, YES, there ARE success stories! Just depends on what type of lifestyle will make you happy, I guess.

I often think it would be fun to live in Germany or maybe Holland. I remember liking those two countries when I was backpacking around Europe in the mid-90s. I love the way Germany is so into nature and parks, and people make eye contact.

Miami Beach Bum, I loved that post. You pretty much summed up why I live here too. The beach, the weather, the lifestyle... I think anyone can be a success here if they come with an open mind.

Default Re: Any success stories of relocating to Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I often think it would be fun to live in Germany or maybe Holland. I remember liking those two countries when I was backpacking around Europe in the mid-90s. I love the way Germany is so into nature and parks, and people make eye contact.
    Germany is an awesome place to live, I was there for 3 years whilst I was in the Army. I used to love being able to explore Europe on my weekends off. One weekend I'd drive to Belgium, the next I'd drive to France. I'd recommend Germany to anyone.

Great story MiamiBeachBum! Trust me, I also had that moment where I wanted to slam my fists down bc of the language barrier. There are a few things that bug me about this place, but I do love it.

New User

Wow! I appreciate all the great advice!! Ive been exploring this idea for the past 6 yrs and always find reasons to wait until next year or any of the other hundreds of reasons to delay the move,, i understand its almost like living in a different country but that adds to the excitement..lol... i figure if i could find a place to stay and a job i would be as happy as a lottery winner!! Oh and as far as the amount of money to go with i heard a wide range from $500 to $20,000.. (confused) but still excited...
    Last edited by BoredOutMyMind; 06-11-2010 at 12:28 PM.

I'd come with enough money for two months of living expense meaning your bills now, plus the amount of rent you'll pay. You should be able to find a job in 2 months. You'll need a big chunk of cash for first month's rent and security so keep that in mind. Then I'd bring about $700+ just to be a tourist for a few days and as going out money to meet new people.

I'm a success story as well (Miami and the state of FL). The first time I visited South Beach was when I was 23 with a group of guys. We were staying in Fort Myers for spring break for the week but then we decided to head to South Beach on a whim. We were able to reserve a hotel for 2 nights in mid beach and drove down. Long story short, I was blown away and fell in love with it. It had the beach lifestyle, with the nightlife on par with Manhattan. I'm 33 now and have been living here for 3 years, and let's say that I'm glad I got the partying out of my system while I was still living in Manhattan. I'm glad I made the move and am really enjoying it. It's not for everyone. Perfect example was a coworker of mine who grew up in the same area as I did, and left in a year because he got tired of it. It's not paradise, as Miami is dysfunctional, but then again what place isn't? It is what you make of it. However, there are a lot worse places to live in. I loved living in NYC in my 20s and had a blast. But as I'm in my 30s, I realize I was ready for a change, and have no regrets moving down here. It's greatly improved my career path and quality of life.

I agree Tommy, it has definitely improved my quality of life too. Being able to spend the entire year outdoors is a blessing. Plus the beach, palm trees, that blue sky everyday... living in Miami can be difficult at times but that stuff makes it worth it.

So, my question to all of you then, if living in Miami is so great, why do so many people leave within a couple of years?

I'm just saying, it IS for some people, but definitely not for everyone. It's not all sunshine and beaches. It's also floods and traffic and tourists and ghetto and people not speaking English. You just see if the good outweighs the bad for you, like anywhere. My point is, if this place were perfect, nobody would ever leave. But everyone does. Even you, BeachBum are saying, "Oh, well I'll be here for a while and then leave." Ok, nothing wrong with that. But if Miami Beach offered everything you could possibly want, you probably wouldn't say that.

Anyway, I just want our original poster here to understand that life here is clearly not for everybody. Best of luck to you, sir. Oh, and you don't need $20,000 to move here. I think $8000 and you're probably ok if you don't party too much.

I'm not a big fan of this 91 degree weather. It's fine if you're in AC or at the beach or pool, but running around town doing errands is pretty brutal.

There are a couple of success stories that have not been mentioned on this thread yet.

Gus and Michelle.

They came down and started waiting tables.

Now they're running what may be the most successful tour company in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    So, my question to all of you then, if living in Miami is so great, why do so many people leave within a couple of years?

I'm just saying, it IS for some people, but definitely not for everyone. It's not all sunshine and beaches. It's also floods and traffic and tourists and ghetto and people not speaking English. You just see if the good outweighs the bad for you, like anywhere. My point is, if this place were perfect, nobody would ever leave. But everyone does. Even you, BeachBum are saying, "Oh, well I'll be here for a while and then leave." Ok, nothing wrong with that. But if Miami Beach offered everything you could possibly want, you probably wouldn't say that.

Anyway, I just want our original poster here to understand that life here is clearly not for everybody. Best of luck to you, sir. Oh, and you don't need $20,000 to move here. I think $8000 and you're probably ok if you don't party too much.
    I do agree with this. But again, it's that unique charm about Miami that I love. Yes we have sunshine and beaches. And yes we do have floods, hurricanes, mosquitos and the rest. But I just find it funny. I mean, nothing works here, things are never on time, it's just a big playground for kids. You either love it or you hate it. I guess if you love it like I do, you are happy to stay. And if not, as Matt says, Boca is only up the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    There are a couple of success stories that have not been mentioned on this thread yet.

Gus and Michelle.

They came down and started waiting tables.

Now they're running what may be the most successful tour company in Miami.
    They also met each other in Miami and are now married!

Matt, the plan to leave the country was in place before I came to Miami Beach. If it doesn't pan out, I have no reason to leave here and there's no where else in this country that I'd rather live. And there are floods and ghettos and mosquitos, (in fact, MORE), in St. Louis, too. And tornados come with ZERO warning ...

Sungal ... you should live a few summers in the Midwest, where it pushes 100 and goes over a few times, and there is no ocean breeze to cool you off, (or blue water nearby to plunge your overheated body into)! I find the summers here much more tolerable than St Louis, and I lived my entire life there.

Gus and Michelle ... what a great story! I didn't know that ...

And Jess ... yep, I love this big island playground ... and for those who don't ... they can leave it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast