Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Since you'll be new in town I would definitely recommend Miami Beach or Brickell. They are by far the best areas, both have going out scenes, young single people and are safe areas to live. For your price range though definitely look on Craigslist to get a share. A two bed will cost $1500-$1800 and will be WAY nicer than you on your own trying to find a place that costs $800! That being said, you could find a studio in MB for that price - but it will be pretty basic.
    Good luck!

The Coral Way Corridor is pretty central and has a wide range of apartments, condos, houses and efficiencies.

Coral Way Corridor Offers Central Location, Authenticity - Miami Beach 411

If I were a single woman I would shy away from having a roommate unless it was someone I knew really REALLY well. There are simply too many whackos out there. I'd rather live in a smaller place and have peace of mind.

Have you considered South Miami? Not the best commute for N. Miami Beach but I found this for under $800: Excellent 1 Bedroom in South Miami

Here is a mother-in-law type situation in South Miami/Gables for $800: Duplex style Mother-in-law quarters all utilities included

Default Re: Looking for affordable and safe area to live

Quote Originally Posted by nefrocatracho View Post
    When I was here 10 years ago doing a month long rotation, I rented a coach house for $550. That was in middle beach. Sure it was small but it had everything a normal one bedroom would have. If you don't mind living in someone else's backyard, it's another option
    That was also 10 years ago. Despite the market as it is now, rents have gone up a lot since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    That was also 10 years ago. Despite the market as it is now, rents have gone up a lot since then.
    True, though I figured a coach house wouldn't go for more than $800 even now. Then again, I haven't looked. Weird as it was to stay there, given the choice between a one bdrm in NMB and a coach house in middle beach near 41st st, well wouldn't be much of a choice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    If I were a single woman I would shy away from having a roommate unless it was someone I knew really REALLY well. There are simply too many whackos out there. I'd rather live in a smaller place and have peace of mind.
    I agree Maria. Roommates are great if you already knew them before you moved in and were friends. No way would I move in with someone I didn't know.

Thanks everyone for your advise. Surprisingly I found a 1 bedroom/1 bath apartment that fit my budge. It was the last apartment I saw and the most descent compared to the others. Its not all that, but its something, especially needing to move in a rush and not too far from work which is about a 15-20 minute commute give or take w/ traffic.

I've been living in the apartment for a week now, but still have a lot of unpacking to do. Until I'm able to move everything in, it's just me, my boxes, and my sleeping cot

As soon as I get time, I'll update everyone on the whole process!

Thanks again!

Where did you end up moving to?

Congrats Chynadoll! I hope you enjoy your new digs and neighborhood. Feel free to ask more questions in a new thread or to keep us posted on your new life here.

Thanks again for everyones help. I found a place off by 79th and biscayne ave. (not exact location but the closest intersection). Its a close commute to work and the area seems to be ok so far. Neighbors are really friendly and nice. The nice thing too is that I have biscayne ave. close by which provides a good amount stores from eating, groceries, gas, and etc.

Now to slowly but surely get settled into my apartment.

Hi Chynadoll! Thanks for stopping by and keeping us posted. That is definitely an up and coming area. I have a friend who brought a house pretty close by, bordering on Miami Shores, and really likes it. Feel free to let us know how you like the neighborhood as you get settled in!

One of my favorite waterfront places, Shucker's, is right on the causeway. There's also Oggi on the causeway, a nice Italian restaurant.

Congrats Chynadoll! There's lots of interesting stuff along Biscayne. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by nefrocatracho View Post
    Congrats Chynadoll! There's lots of interesting stuff along Biscayne. Good luck

Thanks! Biscayne is definitely a plus for me to live by especially not knowing the Miami area too well. Having convenience plays a big part! I can take Biscayne all the way to downtown Miami (which I explored for the first time and totally took me back to reminisce about downtown Chicago) and if I go the other way it takes me to Miami Shores.

I still got a lot to learn about Miami!

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    You can use this "areas" map as a rough guide:

Miami-Dade County - Google Maps

(disclaimer: I did not create the map)

I didn't get a chance to say thank you. This map was really helpful!

rk

Great, very glad to hear it. Hope you have a great time in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Chynadoll_25 View Post
    I still got a lot to learn about Miami!
    I encourage you to take the Miami Tour Company bus tour ... you'll learn a lot about Miami in three hours! If you do take the tour tell the reservations person you are an active forum member. https://miamitourcompany.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    I encourage you to take the Miami Tour Company bus tour ... you'll learn a lot about Miami in three hours! If you do take the tour tell the reservations person you are an active forum member. https://miamitourcompany.com/
    When I get the chance I may have to take your suggestion and take that tour.

The tour is so much fun and really informative, it definitely helped me get my bearings when I first moved here.

I take my friends on it also whenever they visit, my favorite stop is the domino park on Calle Ocho.

Chynadoll_25, we would love to have you join us on the tour! Give me a call whenever you have a free morning and would like to check it out. Our number is 305-260-6855.

It will help you understand the different areas of Miami a lot better, and it is easier than figuring it out by yourself.

Also, just a side note, you picked a great area of the city - very up and coming and centrally located.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast