Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Looking for affordable and safe area to live

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    Chynadoll_25, we would love to have you join us on the tour! Give me a call whenever you have a free morning and would like to check it out. Our number is 305-260-6855.

It will help you understand the different areas of Miami a lot better, and it is easier than figuring it out by yourself.

Also, just a side note, you picked a great area of the city - very up and coming and centrally located.
    Thanks Michelle. I'll give you guys a call when I'm ready for the tour. Right now my first priority is getting settled into my apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Thanks -- I've just noticed that there are some older people out there who've been renting out detached units on their property for decades and they don't necessarily follow the market trends....so you're more likely to find cheaper rents! Of course, it may be a pain if you need to get something repaired...
    Yes, you definitely have a lot of these. And for the most part, it's not that hard getting something repaired because the landlord is living on the same property.

You can find plenty of these types of "efficiencies" in the Gables because many of those houses were built with small guest rooms separate from the actual houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    Yes, you definitely have a lot of these. And for the most part, it's not that hard getting something repaired because the landlord is living on the same property.

You can find plenty of these types of "efficiencies" in the Gables because many of those houses were built with small guest rooms separate from the actual houses.

When I was searching, I was considering that option. If that was the case that I chose, I'd feel a little more secure when unexpected mishaps happens and also good to now that the owner is looking out for since since it is their property.

New User

Hi, Everyone -
    I'm brand new to this site, but it seems really cool. I have a general question, and I'll welcome all the feedback/replies that I get. I'm definitely moving to Miami (ideally Miami Beach), and am considering this place: The Lofts at Normandy. The street address is 946 - 948 E Bay Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33141. What's the neighborhood/area like? How far is it from Midtown, South Beach, and downtown? What I'd also specifically like to know is if it's safe at night for me (as a woman) to walk alone (I'm street smart, but still...) I've looked at sites like Crime Reports, etc. and I didn't see much of anything at all - while I hope that's a good sign, I figured I'd ask on here. Like I said, any and all feedback and/or suggestions for other areas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your help!

That's out on Normandy Isle. Which is nice enough, but can get a BIT sketchy at night if you venture out of the residential area there. That northern part of Miami Beach isn't the best part. There's a gate onto the island, but it and the guard who work there are maily for show. They don't ask for ID or anything. That area right before the island is a little dodgy, but once you're on the island it's better.

Past that, though, its a SERIOUS pain to get from there to South Beach, Downtown, Midtown, Brickell or anywhere else. Because you're about 3 miles from the 195 causeway, getting there on the streets can be brutal during busy times. I try and drive up that way as little as possible just because the street traffic is so bad. And the drive down 71st street to get to 95 in the a.m. is endless.

If I were you I'd try and look a little further south, closer to 41st street on the beach so you have easy freeway access and don't find yourself driving for 20 minutes once you get on to Miami Beach. The other day I had to pick a friend up on about 74th street, Took me 10 minutes to get onto the island from Brickell, another 35 to get up to where she lived.

I have a friend that lives near the design district she pays $800 a month, the area around her neighborhood may seem a little shady, but honestly there is crime in all parts of Miami, she has never had an issue, and likes that police regularly patrol that area.

New User

Thanks, y'all! I'm also looking at Tuscany Gardens, which is in Brickell. How close is that, and Aventura, to MB? I don't mean to sound like a fool, it's just that I haven't been to Miami since the early '80s (WAY before Miami Vice was ever dreamed up - am I showing my age? ha ha ha) and I'm not up to speed on my neighborhoods quite yet. The design district sounds cool, too - any ideas for 2BR/2BA places there? I'm more happy to check out any place that y'all recommend. Ideally, I want to be as close to the beach as possible and have it be pet-friendly, since I have a deaf kitten. Thanks again for your help!

New User

It's me again - I forgot to ask about the Sunny Isles/Marina Del Mar area. Anyone have any thoughts about there? Also, has anyone ever worked w/South Beach Rentals? I was checking out their site, too, and they seem cool.
    Last edited by alicat; 02-11-2013 at 02:30 AM.

New User

Last question for tonight - I hear that Collins Park in South Beach is an up-and-coming neighborhood; is it relatively affordable and safe?

Collins Park already arrived a long time ago. It's safe, sure. I would not say it's affordable, though I guess that depends on your definition. It's on par with everywhere else in South Beach.

Tuscany Garden isn't exactly Brickell. It's like that area just west of Brickell that isn't quite Brickell. It's not bad. Very convenient and no more dangerous than any other part of the city. The building is a little stripped down (not shabby, just not much for amenities) but it's fine .I'd say 20-25 minutes to the beach door to door if you don't hit traffic. With traffic, prob 30-40. But that's about as close as you're getting on the mainland. And Brickell is just a serious pain to get out of.

Sunny Isles is nice enough but very hard to get to. You'll sit in 6-10 miles of street traffic depending on where you get off the freeway. It's close to the beach and nice towers and that but not a fun drive at all. Aventura is very close to the actual beach and pretty convenient to the freeway. But if you want to go to South Beach you're looking at 30 minutes.

New User

Hi, all -
    Sorry I haven't been around lately - I've been mega-busy! Anyway, the search continues...I found a beautiful place that's a little over budget, but it's so gorgeous that I'm willing to stretch a little (LOL). Anyway, it's a new building (just over 1 yr old) in Little Havanna on NW South River Drive. Does anyone have any feedback for that area of town? I don't mind living in an up-and-coming area, or one that's being re-developed, just so long as it's (relatively) safe. I say "relatively" b/c I know that no area is crime-free, but as long as the car will be where I left it and I can walk/drive/use public transport without serious issues on the whole (both day and night) then it's cool with me. Also, what's the traffic like to downtown and the beach from there? Talk to you soon!

I actually used to live right there. The relative safety really depends on the building. NeoLofts is safe, because it's got a gated garage. But I wouldn't park on the street over there, and if I were female I wouldn't walk around at night by myself. It's not the BEST area, but it is far from the worse. Car break ins are common, but homicide is not.

To downtown is nothing, almost better to walk and take the Metromover from Govt Center than drive, though. To the Beach is a little longer, but if you can avoid traffic on the causeway it's 15 minutes.

For a price range of $700, you're looking at roommates for sure... especially if you are looking for something "nice"

Granted "nice" varies on who you're talking to ... but then again, it's hard to find anything in Miami that's updated and decent for under $1,000 ... and even at $1,000 you're looking at a small studio... if you can even find something available.

New User

Happy Saturday! What's the design district like? I know that's a vague question, so to specify a little, what I'd like to know is how close it is to the beach, is the traffic completely hideous, and what's the overall vibe like (i.e. fun, quiet, laid-back, etc)? It's an area I'm considering (one of many, actually) so any and all feedback is always appreciated!

Design District is ok. it's perpetually improving, and mostly commercial space now. It's the kind of area (Buena Vista is more the residential area near there) where one block is nice and the next one is not so nice. It's not FAR from the beach, per se, but it's still a trip. Can be 15 minutes, can be half an hour depending on traffic and the like. Traffic there isn't bad, as it's not as densely populated as some other areas.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123