Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Post Moving to SoBe in July Questions

Hello MiamiBeach411! Moving to SoBe in July 29th! I've been coming to this site for the past few months and have been racking up some questions to ask, so I figured I'd subscribe and get to askin'. Me and my boyfriend are moving down there at the end of July. We ended up finding a place on 14th and Pennsylvania, and from the looks of it, it looks great! Perfect size for me, him and our two cats. So anyways, I was curious to know where all the good places are to eat around this part of town, that are not over priced. In my book, overpriced is like 30 bucks on lunch. I know alot of restaurants are to attract tourists and your bill ends up being outrageous. So yea, I was wondering if there were any spots where we could get some good spanish cooking and not ending up spending an electric bills worth on a good lunch. Next thing is the job industry. We've been sending out alot of resumes online, but all of our callbacks have expected us to be there for an interview the next day. And that just can't happen. We'd have to wait til we got there. But what we are really looking for is to get into the club scene for work. We both have done it for years and we would like to start with that in SoBe. So where would be a good place to start if we were trying to get jobs at any of the nice clubs? (Mansion, Mynt, etc...) Now as far as other questions I have, I'm asking these just cause i'm a bit curious....can you go topless on the beach? Can you drink alcohol on the beach? How safe is it to walk around the area we will be living, at night? Will we hear any of the nightlife going on down where we will be living? And where would be the closest hospital to there? Well that's all I have for now..phew..any answers to these would be very helpful!

Hey 305wannabe, Welcome to MiamiBeach411!

To get you and the boyfriend a job in clubland I'd recommend contacting the Opium Group. They own tons of clubs in Miami. ANd if you are getting calls from your resume, then your resume is great and wait until you get hereto give it out. For lunch in that area I like Icebox, Pascha's, and Juice and Java...also Jerry's Deli.

You can go topless on the beach and drink your own booze here.. gotta love SoBe Oootzz oootzz..

rk

The corner of 14th and Pennsylvania should not be too noisy.

Re. alcohol on the beach, technically it is not allowed, though many people ignore it discreetly (or not). Here's a recent thread on the topic:

Can you drink on the beach?

Beach is topless

I drink on the Beach

I always go to the Sobee Foodmarket on 14th and Wash to eat, its seriously 4 dollars for a fish sandwich and $2.5 for breakfast and pretty much any spot on Espanola FTW

Its a safe area, just watch out for packs of ferral cats

As sungal said, talk to opium (and her food recommendations are right one)

Mt Saini (or however it is spelled) is the nearest hospital on 41st n Alton

You wont hear any nightlife music/ rukus

That's a very good spot to live i lived on that corner for a month with a friend and loved every day of it

Hi 305wannabe! Welcome to the forums!

The closest hospital is Mount Sinai just off 41st street at Alton Road. There is a community clinic on Alton and 7th.

I only know of one modestly priced Spanish eatery on South Beach and that's Tapas y Tintos on Espaņola Way. Plenty of decently priced Spanish restaurants are on the mainland though.

If by Spanish you mean Cuban, then try Puerto Sagua on Collins Avenue or David's Cafe off Lincoln and Meridian. I think David's has a buffet lunch that's very affordable. The cheapest/best Cuban food is in Little Havana.

Not every restaurant in South Beach is a tourist trap and believe me you will spot those a mile away. Most of them are on Ocean Drive and just west of Pennsylvania Avenue on Lincoln Road. That being said Los Ranchos (Mexican) is right there and it's reasonably priced.

Lime on Alton is good for cheap eats. Also, there are numerous small budget eateries on Washington Avenue. A great lunch can be had at Whole Foods from their sushi, salad bar and hot deli counter.

I'm not sure if Spris on Lincoln Road is still doing this, but they have a special in the late afternoons in which you pay according to the time you order, ie, order at 6:30 and you pay $6.30. This is limited to select menu items.

Here are some other food threads that might help you (this thread should really split to Food and Restaurants)

http://forums.miamibeach411.com/food...obe-%2420.html

South Florida Dines - Eat Out for Half Price!!!

http://forums.miamibeach411.com/food...nder-%245.html

A Handy Guide to Inexpensive Restaurants in South Beach - Miami Beach 411

New User

Default Re: Moving to SoBe July 29th! Questions....

Awesome! Thanks guys for all the feedback. It really does help! See ya on the beach!

Getting work in a club, you more or less have to know people. ESPECIALLY if you're not from here. I've gone and applied at clubs and the first thing they ask is "Have you worked in Miami before?" If the answer is no, 99 times out of 100 they throw out your application. That 100th time is if you are an insanely hot girl. But past that, your chances of getting a job in a club right off are almost nil.

As a bartender, the way I worked my into that world was by first working somewhere small, then getting to know people who know people. If you are good at what you do, and agreeable and dependable, they will suggest anf refer you to friends they have who are opening clubs etc. But you have to be willing to work at a slower place like a hotel, restaurant, or sports-bar type place for 6 months to establish those connections.

Right now, the economy and job situation here is pretty bad. Official unemployment is around 15%, unofficial is up around 25%, and from what I've heard from folks trying to find service industry work in South Beach, nobody is hiring right now. Managers have stacks or resumes in their offices and aren't calling anyone. We have over 200,000 people already living in Dade County who are out of work, so emplyers' priorities right now are getting our people to work before hiring newcomers.

You may catch a lucky break and find some work, but I HIGHLY advise against moving here without a job. The catch, of course, is we tend not to hire people from out of the area unless they have some special skill that we don't have here. Best of luck to you, but be sure to keep your expectations low.

I disagree with Matt about not coming to Miami unless you have a job. You'll never be able to get bartending/DJ, service industry jobs unless you're actually living here and handing out resumes/applying for jobs with a Miami address.

The only people that come here with jobs are those being relocated by their company...so corporate people.

My mother used to work as a cytotechnologist in a pathology laboratory, and she got it in her head once that she wanted to move to Phoenix. So she scoured the medical journals and drove us out there one summer for an "extended vacation" of about two weeks during which time she interviewed at various labs. So, that's one way to have a job lined up before you get there, assuming you're not in a corporate job that's transferring you. After all this interviewing she decided she didn't want to live in Phoenix after all.

Of course, in my own life experience, I've lived by the credo of "jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down" -- you have to live life rather than letting life live you. Sometimes that means taking chances when you don't have a firm safety net in place.

My favorite reasonable ethnic restaurant on South Beach is an Argentine place on Washington called Cafe Charlotte. Delicious and reasonable!
    Last edited by Doug; 07-10-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Yeah, to kinda clarify what I said, don't move here unless you have a job OR about $8000 saved up to get you through until you find work.