Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Should I live near Downtown, or SoBe?

Hey guys,

Since I came to the point where I have to pick a house to live in for the upcoming year, I would like to know your opinion.

I'm 19 years old, will be working from monday till friday, love to party, do not feel like living in a area where i do not feel safe in and have $1000 to spend on my house every month.

Should I pick a house at Miami Downtown or at SoBe? And if I pick one downtown, would it be do-able to visit the beach at the weekends/evenings?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Gus; 07-14-2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: re-titled post

You don't necessarily mean you have to live in a house, do you? An apartment would do, right?

If you are 19, it will be hard to party unless you have a fake ID. And even then, it will be hard to use that fake ID in some of the more popular places because they check extra hard from what I understand.

The beach seems more geared for younger people than downtown.

New User

Default Re: Should I live near Downtown, or SoBe?

Uuhm yeah actually thats what I ment (My preference goes out to a high building).
    I've got my eyes on a lovely building a bit north of Brickell.

Oh Im not going to use a fake ID.
    Not a chance that im going to risk getting arrested in the USA.

I look way older than I am, so lets hope that works in my advantage.
    And besides that, you do not need a ID to lay on the beach right? :P

But what about travelling between Downtown and the Beach in the weekends?
    Is it do-able?

Thanks again!

You only need ID to get into the clubs and certain bars and to purchase alcohol, not to lay on the beach.

Traveling between downtown and the beach on weekends is very doable. It's only five miles.

There are buses and taxis if you don't have a car. And if you want to bike it but don't want to risk getting killed, you can always take the Venetian Causeway, which runs parallel to the MacArthur Causeway and has much slower traffic due to there being a toll gate that charges $1.50 for cars but nothing for bikes. This runs through a neighborhood so it's slower.

Personally I think South Beach would be a better option for you than Downtown. There really isn't that much to do in downtown and it's not a great area for walking around. Brickell is nicer and has things going on, but really South Beach is the only place you can walk around, get everything you want and go everywhere you want - including the beach!

For a $1000 budget you'd likely get an Art Deco type of pad, studio or one bedroom. The luxury highrises tend to be $1200 +

If you need any help looking let me know!

New User

Thanks Kelly!

Then I guess its going to be SoBe.

I've attached 3 pictures of a loft on the 36th floor in downtown Miami.
    I totally see myself living in a condo like that!
    It has 2 bedrooms and costs $1000 a month.

I haven't found something like that in SoBe yet..
    Actually most of the houses Ive seen look like a jail. (Small windows and brown tiles on the floor.)

Is there any rental-website you would reccomend? Im looking for a condo on a good location with atleast 1 bedroom.

Ill be in Miami from 6 till 10 August to make a final decision about the place Im going to live at.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Where did you see that advertised? I strongly believe it is a misadvertisement. The cheapest unit currently available in The loft, downtown, located at 234 3rd street, is a one bedroom for $1100. 2 bedrooms for $1000 per month are unheard of here.

Check out: http://www.southbeachrentals123.com/ however they only focus on higher end rentals from $1500+

If you would like to give me an email address I can send you through some properties currently listed via the MLS which is the Realtors database to all properties.

all the best,
    Kelly

That's a steal at $1,000 a month

Realtors put up amazing pictures and when you call, they set up the appointment for you to see that place. Then on the day, they call and say that one has gone but we have others I can show you... it's a scam they pull. I doubt that place exists as kelly says.

New User

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it!

The condo mentioned above is located at 2 Ave & 1 St. So I guess it ain't "the Loft" you are talking about. It says "New 2/2 Loft In Downtown Miami".

My employer has set up a meeting with the owner already.. So let's hope Jess is wrong.

Thanks for the website Kelly, I'll take a look at it right away!

I will send you a PM with my email, I'm looking forward to your reply!

I'll keep on looking!

rk

That 2-br for $1000 is almost surely a typo of some sort. If time is short you should connect with a real-estate agent so you can have a range of places to look at when you come. The landlord pays the commission so it won't cost you extra. Additionally you can walk around the neighborhoods in SoBe and check local classifieds for rentals that may fall outside the MLS. Be aware that pictures and building exteriors are often nicer than what's inside.

New User

Thanks for the information RK!

I actually was wondering how far north can you go at Miami beach and still be safe?

Right now I'm actually only looking at condos located south of 5th street.

But how's the situation west of Lummus Park for example?
    Last edited by makeitextraordinary; 07-15-2010 at 05:58 AM.

Lummus park stretches from 5th to 15th st along Ocean Drive...so it's basically all of South Beach. SoBe is pretty safe to be honest, yeah stuff happens here, but it happens in any city. People just expect it to be sunshine and blue sky because it's a holiday destination, but crime occurs everywhere.

rk

You will generally find somewhat better prices west of Lummus park than in SoFi (South of Fifth). Most areas of Miami Beach are quite safe, but there is coinsiderable variation between buildings even on the same block. Your best bet for landing a high rise with a view is either downtown/midtown or the west avenue corridor (i.e. west of Lummus park).