Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default Young CEO Moving To SoBe...Need info

Hi everyone...New to your site but it seems awsome, so I thought I'd give it a try...

I am really looking hard at moving to SoBe, and I have some questions that some of you might be able to chime in on....

1.) Not sure yet if a condo is right for me, but if so, what is the best place to live in for a very affluent single 30's guy...? I am looking to rent for the first year and would spend $5000-$7500/mo. for the right place, if neccessary...I am single and like to entertain, so a place that is EXTREMELY impressive would be neccesary....I am also a boater (46' speedboat) so I would like to be very close to a marina where I could dock my boat..preferably one that has a lift available, or that would let me put one in at my own expense, of course...

2.) If not a condo, besides Star Island, is there a good place to live that is close to SoBe that is still really hip, or is SoBe just the best place, hands down...? I would also consider renting a house...

3.) I certainly like to go out at night for some "late night politickin'" and would like to be able to get in anywhere I want with no line, etc..., and make friends with the bouncers, etc...This was easy in Vegas as I usually travelled in my limo or if I drove myself, I have a pretty exotic car, so they typically would leave it parked out front to keep an eye on it for me, and I guess it was good for them to have people gawk at it too, anyway...lol...I always tipped between $20-$100 to get right in, depending on whether or not I was alone or had people with me....If I drove myself, I would always tip $50 in and $50 out to make sure that I could park right in front and that they would watch my car for me...This is important...

4.) I hear that SoBe is a paradise for affluent single guys...? True...? Can you explain...? I mean, after all, I am considering leaving Vegas for SoBe...Lots of beautiful women here, but I might need a change of venue...I love Vegas, but getting kinda bored here...

Anyway, I'm sure that I'll get lots of interesting input here, and I thank you all in advance for taking the time to help me...I appreciate it..

:-)

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi CoolVegasCEO, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for introducing yourself. I hope we can answer some of your questions.

Have you visited Miami before?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's not really as glamorous as it looks on TV. The economy is pretty rough right now - Miami just made the top of Money Magazine's Top Forclosure list. South Beach has the third most foreclosures in the City.

You don't need to spend $7k to get a rad place. I've seen pimped out, 3 bedroom lofts in South Beach rent for $4k per month.

It's pretty easy to make friends.

Most of the time, you don't need to pay bouncers to let you in the clubs.

Miami has plenty of locations to dock and launch your boat.

In addition to Star Island, there's a bunch of places you can live that are close to the Beach.

How long do you plan to stay?

New User

I would say that it would be as permanent as any other move....3, 4, 5+ years...?

I heard that the economy is tough down there...In the right circumstances though, that could be construed as an opportunity....

Judging by the price of office space down there, though, you would think the economy is great! I see rental rates in the same per-square-foot pricing as Manhattan there...

New User

Also, Gus, I'd love to know if you ave a connection for these lofts...that sounds terrific, actually...

Gus

"Judging by the price of office space down there, though, you would think the economy is great!"
    There's tons of office space in Miami and South Beach. What type of office space do you need? And depending on the type of business, nowadays, you can run a major company out of your home...Especially if you're spending 6 or $7k per month.

But if you're going to stay at least 3 or 4 years, I recommend buying a place.

Do you plan to visit?

I'd be happy to recommend a real estate broker, but you seem like a pretty smart CEO. Why not find a place yourself and save 3%?

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    "Judging by the price of office space down there, though, you would think the economy is great!"
    There's tons of office space in Miami and South Beach. What type of office space do you need? And depending on the type of business, nowadays, you can run a major company out of your home...Especially if you're spending 6 or $7k per month.

But if you're going to stay at least 3 or 4 years, I recommend buying a place.

Do you plan to visit?

I'd be happy to recommend a real estate broker, but you seem like a pretty smart CEO. Why not find a place yourself and save 3%?
    There is a lot of space there..But I have heard that downtown is tough because there is no parking, and when there is, it is very expensive...I like the beach, but anythng that is decent there is $30 psf +...I would need like 3000-4000 square feet for my corporate office, and another 3000-4000 for another office...

I am not crazy about running the business from my home...I would have 25 employees in my main office, and 35-40 in the other, so it wouldn't work...Cool idea though...

I would like to buy a place, but I want to wait because values are actually decending right now, so I will get a better deal a year from now..Plus the fact that I would have enough on my plate already...lol

Yes I plan to visit...I am going to be there in September..Just going to rent a condo for a month until I figure out more about what I am going to do...

THanks...! If you have more thoughts, please share...

Okay, there, Cool Vegas CEO. As for your questions about real estate and the like I am the absolutely 100% WRONG person to ask. I am a proud renter and, actualy don't even pay rent now. But that's another story. The point is while I can refer you to some people who know about that stuff, all I know is buying a condo now is an idea along the lines of banging a Nigerian hooker with no condom.

So that addressed questions 1 and 2.

As for #3, Gus has no idea what he is talking about. Granted, if you want to go out like me and spend as little money as possible, yes, you can get in with whoever you want without bribing anyone provided you go out at 10PM when the clubs open and are cool with sitting in an empty club drinking with your friends and not doing much else. Liek a Dive Bar with a cover and better sound. But, given you have a few dollars, buying a table is the absolute quickest way to get whatever you want at pretty much anywhere. Like you can walk right up, say "I want a table" and you will bypass the line. This will run you in the $400 range, but it does get you drinks and if you have people with you if diffuses the cost. If you are by yourself, it may be wise to approach the door guy (or girl) before the nigth starts, hand him some money ,and tell him you will be back. Usualy they remember as they will count on your repeat business. But I still think your table option is much better. The more money you throw down, the better your table.

As for valeting your car, well, it will more than likely not remain parked out front as space is EXTREMELY limited. I'm sure you want to make a nice impression, but most clubs get four valet spots in the front at the most, so you would have to throw him a lot of cash to make sure it stayed there. Not sure what that figure would be, best to ask the valet. Will they tell you more than it would cost? Probably. but it beats the hell out of a scratch on your Ferrarri, right?

It is hard for me to give you femlae advice here becaue, well, to be honest I am a broke-ass twentysomething who lives in the hood. That being said, I so surprisingly well because I stay away from Latin women like a leper with the ebola virus. The thing is, there is a severe shortage of tall, good lookign white guys in Miami so if you fit that bill, white women will LOVE you. There is no competition for you to deal with as most of them don't like Latin guys at all. Now, given you have money, yeah, it won't be hard. SoBe girls will fuck pretty much anything with a wallet (and that is not bitterness talking as I've managed to fuck a few myself without spendign a dime. But it is exponentially eaiser when you have a table to take themto at a club, a $150,000 car to drive them back to your $7500 a month apartment in and the like). Yes, the girls are hot, but you have to like ethnic women. It is not the plethora of platinum blondes you find in Vegas or LA, more like Colombian, Cuban, Brazialian and other "Exotics." If that's your bag, then yes, you will enjoy yourself in that respect.

Hope this helps. If you have any mroe quesitons you got my info

Later,
    Matt

Suzanne C

Hey CoolVEgasCEO! Welcome to the MB411 forums.

The guys give good tips and I definitely have to agree with Matt about the women. They don't call Miami 'the Beautiful City' for nothing. The women are all exotic looking but South Beach is also a mecca for modeling and modeling shoots + any quick glance through a trendy magazine will feature a story or two from our prized city. So yeah, we got some purdy ladies over here. Will you 'hook up' multiple times daily? Yes. And purely because Matt is right. I think of the South Beach club scene as upscale prostitution.
    There are bands of club groupies that make it their sole goal in life to hook up with the owner, bouncer, bartender, table regular- they just want to be seen and if you can attract that sort of attention, they'll stick to you like a rat in a glue trap!

As for the car, sure- tip 'em. Of course they'll remember you. As for the door staff, show up in a group of 5: you + 4 hot ass ladies, even if there just friends or call girls, and ask for a table (Note: you can reserve a table in advance to make the process that much smoother). The panache will make them turn their heads and your tip- that will make them remember you. But please, that $20 tip sh*t may work in Vegas, but any high-end club bouncer will laugh at you as the cover is usually more.

As for the 'crib'....if you're looking to spend that kind of money and have direct slip access for your boat, I suggest taking a look at the Murano Grand. Nothing says $$$$$$ like the Murano. It's on the water and they might have slips. If not, there is a public dock next to Monty's just down the block. But like I said...Nothing.

I'm not sure if it would be in your price range (and of course I would suggest you look for a realtor...or ask Gus's dad), but homes on Fisher Island are amongst the priciest properties around Miami Beach.

Not really on Miami Beach, Fisher Island is a 5 minute Ferry boat ride away. I can see it now.
    "Yes sweetheart. We do have to take this boat to get to my place..."

Good luck with your ventures but honestly, you seem pretty motivated and know exactly what you're looking for. Sounds like you'll be perfectly fine.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy
    Hey CoolVEgasCEO! Welcome to the MB411 forums.

The guys give good tips and I definitely have to agree with Matt about the women. They don't call Miami 'the Beautiful City' for nothing. The women are all exotic looking but South Beach is also a mecca for modeling and modeling shoots + any quick glance through a trendy magazine will feature a story or two from our prized city. So yeah, we got some purdy ladies over here. Will you 'hook up' multiple times daily? Yes. And purely because Matt is right. I think of the South Beach club scene as upscale prostitution.
    There are bands of club groupies that make it their sole goal in life to hook up with the owner, bouncer, bartender, table regular- they just want to be seen and if you can attract that sort of attention, they'll stick to you like a rat in a glue trap!

As for the car, sure- tip 'em. Of course they'll remember you. As for the door staff, show up in a group of 5: you + 4 hot ass ladies, even if there just friends or call girls, and ask for a table (Note: you can reserve a table in advance to make the process that much smoother). The panache will make them turn their heads and your tip- that will make them remember you. But please, that $20 tip sh*t may work in Vegas, but any high-end club bouncer will laugh at you as the cover is usually more.

As for the 'crib'....if you're looking to spend that kind of money and have direct slip access for your boat, I suggest taking a look at the Murano Grand. Nothing says $$$$$$ like the Murano. It's on the water and they might have slips. If not, there is a public dock next to Monty's just down the block. But like I said...Nothing.

I'm not sure if it would be in your price range (and of course I would suggest you look for a realtor...or ask Gus's dad), but homes on Fisher Island are amongst the priciest properties around Miami Beach.

Not really on Miami Beach, Fisher Island is a 5 minute Ferry boat ride away. I can see it now.
    "Yes sweetheart. We do have to take this boat to get to my place..."

Good luck with your ventures but honestly, you seem pretty motivated and know exactly what you're looking for. Sounds like you'll be perfectly fine.
    Hey Suzy...Thanks for the reply..

A couple things that I want to address...

When it comes to ladies in SoBe, maybe I didn't paint the right impression..I am certainly NOT looking to come down there and go back into my college slut days...lol Its just nice to live in an area with lots of beautiful women around...that doesn't mean that I am going to try to go 30 for 30 the month I move there, you know..? lol But, of course, I am single, so well see what happens..I don't typically go looking for trouble...it just somehow finds me from time to time...

Secondly, Matt, your realtor emailed me this morning and I will be chatting with her....Thanks for the tip..

Furthermore, Suzy, when I was referring to how I tip to get into a club, I can assure you that as high end as the clubs there are, Vegas is worse...lol If I was going to tip $20, I would be by myself, 11:00 or so before its too busy, but the main thing is, I ALWAYS tipped...When these guys would see me, they knew that I was going to take care of them..Now, if I had people with me, it was different...If it was me and 2 other people, even if they were hot girls, it was always $100 or more..
    Another thing to keep in mind, is that I became good friends with these guys, too...We would hang out together when they weren't working, I would let them utilize my limo if it was outside to take a friend of theirs home, or pick them up, as long as I wasn't leaving right away, etc...It got to the point where I had to fight with them at all to take money from me...I just appreciated that they had there job to do, and need to be paid for it...Make sense...?

Also, thanks for the tip on Murano Grande....As for buying a house, I am going to wait a year or so I think...I'd spend whatever I needed to, as ong as there was value there, to get the house I wanted...$2,000,000-$3,000,000 is probably my range, simply because I am a single guy...why do I need a 7000 square foot mansion...? lol

Also, as it relates to Fisher Island, is the ferry a pain in the ass...? Seems like it could be...What about Star Island..? Isn't that hot too...?

Anyhoo...Thanks for your input....keep it coming...

J :-)

New User

Hey Suzy....I have heard that the Setai is pretty nice too, right...? No docks though..? A few people have also told me that it is GROSSLY overpriced...Is this true?

Gus

$2,000,000-$3,000,000 is probably my range, simply because I am a single guy...why do I need a 7000 square foot mansion.
    J, please invite us to the housewarming party!

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    Okay, there, Cool Vegas CEO. As for your questions about real estate and the like I am the absolutely 100% WRONG person to ask. I am a proud renter and, actualy don't even pay rent now. But that's another story. The point is while I can refer you to some people who know about that stuff, all I know is buying a condo now is an idea along the lines of banging a Nigerian hooker with no condom.

So that addressed questions 1 and 2.

As for #3, Gus has no idea what he is talking about. Granted, if you want to go out like me and spend as little money as possible, yes, you can get in with whoever you want without bribing anyone provided you go out at 10PM when the clubs open and are cool with sitting in an empty club drinking with your friends and not doing much else. Liek a Dive Bar with a cover and better sound. But, given you have a few dollars, buying a table is the absolute quickest way to get whatever you want at pretty much anywhere. Like you can walk right up, say "I want a table" and you will bypass the line. This will run you in the $400 range, but it does get you drinks and if you have people with you if diffuses the cost. If you are by yourself, it may be wise to approach the door guy (or girl) before the nigth starts, hand him some money ,and tell him you will be back. Usualy they remember as they will count on your repeat business. But I still think your table option is much better. The more money you throw down, the better your table.

As for valeting your car, well, it will more than likely not remain parked out front as space is EXTREMELY limited. I'm sure you want to make a nice impression, but most clubs get four valet spots in the front at the most, so you would have to throw him a lot of cash to make sure it stayed there. Not sure what that figure would be, best to ask the valet. Will they tell you more than it would cost? Probably. but it beats the hell out of a scratch on your Ferrarri, right?

It is hard for me to give you femlae advice here becaue, well, to be honest I am a broke-ass twentysomething who lives in the hood. That being said, I so surprisingly well because I stay away from Latin women like a leper with the ebola virus. The thing is, there is a severe shortage of tall, good lookign white guys in Miami so if you fit that bill, white women will LOVE you. There is no competition for you to deal with as most of them don't like Latin guys at all. Now, given you have money, yeah, it won't be hard. SoBe girls will fuck pretty much anything with a wallet (and that is not bitterness talking as I've managed to fuck a few myself without spendign a dime. But it is exponentially eaiser when you have a table to take themto at a club, a $150,000 car to drive them back to your $7500 a month apartment in and the like). Yes, the girls are hot, but you have to like ethnic women. It is not the plethora of platinum blondes you find in Vegas or LA, more like Colombian, Cuban, Brazialian and other "Exotics." If that's your bag, then yes, you will enjoy yourself in that respect.

Hope this helps. If you have any mroe quesitons you got my info

Later,
    Matt
    Matt...is that $400 for bottle service, or just the table...then bottles on top of that...?

New User

Hi CoolVegasCEO, welcome to Miami Beach 411. Thanks for introducing yourself. I hope we can answer some of your questions.

Have you visited Miami before?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's not really as glamorous as it looks on TV. The economy is pretty rough right now - Miami just made the top of Money Magazine's Top Forclosure list. South Beach has the third most foreclosures in the City.

You don't need to spend $7k to get a rad place. I've seen pimped out, 3 bedroom lofts in South Beach rent for $4k per month.

It's pretty easy to make friends.

Most of the time, you don't need to pay bouncers to let you in the clubs.

Miami has plenty of locations to dock and launch your boat.

In addition to Star Island, there's a bunch of places you can live that are close to the Beach.

How long do you plan to stay?
    Gus, I have to dock it because its hard to find a place to securly store a 46 foot catamaran...Its a pain to launch it all the time, too...lol

Also, I have an idea for you that has to do with your site, from a business perspective....If you email me, I will fill you ion..I think it would make you lotsa $$$ pretty easily...

J :-)

New User

$2,000,000-$3,000,000 is probably my range, simply because I am a single guy...why do I need a 7000 square foot mansion.
    J, please invite us to the housewarming party!
    lol...will do