Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Living next to a Metrorail stop

Hi everybody,
    I am moving to Miami in less than two weeks! I flew down last week for the day only and signed a lease for a beautiful apartment that is brand new, hardwood floors, parking spot, two balconies, and a 20 minute commute to my new job. The only problem is that it is directly across from the Dadeland South stop on the Metrorail. It was the last 1/1 available in this complex, and I thought it would be OK, but now I'm having second thoughts. Do you think I will get used to it or will I be breaking my lease? Does anybody here live next to the Metrorail and have you found it easy to disregard as background noise? I have trouble getting to sleep and I like quiet, so I'm not sure if I made a mistake even though the apartment itself is perfect and the whole complex is really nice. Any advice would be appreciated....
    Last edited by Julie1; 07-18-2010 at 02:02 AM.

Hi Julie! Welcome to the forums!

I know the building you're talking about but I've never lived inside it. That's a really great location, actually. Because you're not quite far west in suburban Kendall and very close to Coral Gables.

I live four blocks from a metrorail station and I can barely hear it and I can't hear it at all with the windows closed. I can't really tell you what it will be like in your building, except that it may not be so bad with the windows closed and especially if your apartment faces away from the station. On weekends and nights the trains run with less frequency.

Will you be using the metrorail at all to commute? Because that alone is a huge plus.

Another plus is that you can use the Metrorail to go to downtown South Miami, which will be the closest "cool" area for you if you want to go to restaurants, bars, movies and so on. I don't recommend doing this alone at night, but daytime and early evening is fine.

The fact that there were no additional units left leads me to believe that people really want to live in that building, regardless.

Let us know how it goes!

New User

Default Re: Living next to a Metrorail stop

Sounds like downtown Dadeland (I'm living here at the moment). I can't hear the metrorail with the door shut, but if you are on the balcony and on the phone, its hard to hear what the other person is saying when it comes by. That said, its a really nice place and nice area, just a bit of a drive to go anywhere "fun"... hope that helps

It is Downtown Dadeland! OK well I have an update -- I called the leasing agent today and told him my concerns about the Metrorail, and he told me that another apartment just became available that sits on top of the mexican restaurant Lime. It faces the interior of the complex. I told him to put me in that one instead...do you guys think that will be quieter?

Maria--I will not be using it to commute, as my new job is about 20 minutes south of the complex, but I will definitely use it to get to brickell and if I want to go to the beach.

I think the street noise on Alton Road might be a little loud. It's really busy. But if they have soundproofing on the windows you might be able to deal with it. I'd check it out first before you finalized anything!

New User

well, you are moving into the same building as me. Interesting... The place is soundproof. I wouldn't worry at all about the sound. Unless you are outside, you can't hear the metro rail.

I used to live on Harding Avenue in Miami Beach, on the top floor of a 7 story building. When people would call me when I had the windows open, they'd ask me if I was in Grand Central Station. That was an incessant stream of noise coming from the traffic on that busy avenue. I hardly think you'll have the same problem at Dadeland South, especially in a new, soundproofed building.

The metrorail does not go to the beach ... you have to take a bus from the downtown station.

The beach is not that far away by car though. Brickell, Coconut Grove and Coral Gables are close and South Miami is right around the corner. You have tons of shops and conveniences nearby. For my buck, I think the South Miami/Dadeland area is a great choice.

Graniteguy, thanks for chiming in with a real insider's point of view!

Hey everybody, OK Downtown Dadeland is not soundproof, I actually asked them this. They do have hurricane windows though, so that must be pretty thick glass. Anyway, I agree that Dadeland is great! I realize that you have to take a bus from brickell to get to the beach, but I am not familiar with the parking situation on the beach. I guess I'll find out though! Only 11 days left until I'm in MIAMI!!

I think hurricane windows is more about the kind of glass and the installation. But chances are it will be ok with windows closed.

I do like to support the use of public transportation, but you will probably want to take your car to the beach. Parking is not the greatest, but it's ok ... totally doable.

I would definitely not take the metrorail/bus combo at night.

Congrats on your upcoming move and let us know if you have any more questions! Please let us know what it's like once you've moved in. This could help other forum members.

Doug, she I believe is referring to the Lime in Kendall, not Alton Road.

I'm a little late here, but let me tell you from experience taking the Bus to the beach is NOT fun. Actually kinda ruins the experience for me, as you're looking at an hour each way added to your trip. So for a decent Beach day, you end up having to get up at like 10 on a weekend, and not getting home until 4 or 5. Not to mention all the walking you have to do on the Beach, and the bus is rarely cool enough.

I'd suggest going early so you can find parking.

Matt is right, the Lime in Dadeland is the same chain as the Lime in South Beach. Grr...I wish all the best apt. locations in Downtown Dadeland were not already taken! I don't know if the music from Lime will reverberate into my room through the floor or something...haha...hopefully not!

Well I'm really excited to move to Miami, thanks everyone for advice!!!

I do have another question, where is the best place to buy a bed and a mattress? Specifically a mattress? I'm looking for something quality. I'm getting all new furniture in Miami and a bed/mattress is obviously my first priority.

We have another thread going on a similar topic...

Best superstore to buy bedroom and living room furniture?

I'd also recommend Matress Giant. Had a good experience there once. The places wpns4 mentions are good spots too though.

I'm sure Lime won't be too loud Julie, Miami has pretty strict rules on noise after a certain hour so don't worry about it too much

Julie, you have several options very near your new home. Rooms To Go on Kendall Drive, across the street from Dadeland. (I brought a mattress there once and was very happy with it!)

Also, Mattress Giant at 8833 S. Dixie Highway (US1). There is also another mattress store (I can't recall its name), on US1 between SW 72 Ave and Sunset Drive ... I think it's just past the McDonalds due north on US1.

New User

Thanks to new technology and modern architecture, the concrete viaducts that the Metrorail moves across help lessen the sound. Trust me, I'm from New York, the old school iron viaducts used in NY are A LOT louder than the ones in Miami.

New User

2/20/12 I live approximately 2 blocks from Metrorail, west of US 1, and when the train comes closest to my neighborhood it is at full throttle as we are halfway between the Dadeland North and the South Miami stations. The noise from the train is unbearable and can be heard loud and clear in the house even with all doors and windows closed. Over the years I have been in touch with staff at MDT who have come to the neighborhood and reported that in their opinion, the noise is "funneled" to this neighborhood, and that might be true, but I am interested in finding out if other people along the Metrorail route have this same bad experience. There are things that could be done and although they would cost a lot of money (it involves replacing current wheels with wheels that are quieter), the amount of money is nothing compared to what is spent on roads every single day. Metrorail is slated to get new cars, but the deal is held up now due to budget and/or contract issues, but even when that clears those cars have to be built and the ETA is 3 years. How awesome would it be if we could intervene now, and get the state-of-the-art wheels included on the new cars, so our system would actually be civilized, instead of sounding like the Third Avenue El in NYC which was built 100 years ago (if not more). There is a timely reason for getting motivated now, and that is that in July 2012 the new Miami Intermodal Center (MIC) is scheduled to open. The MIC is an MIA transportation hub, and I have been informed that it means more trains will leave Dadeland South every single day after it opens - in fact, they will beginning "testing" for that system soon, so I guess more trains will start running soon. Supposedly they will run more trains, but with only 4 cars per train instead of the current six. I am absolutely a supporter of mass transit, but if our community leaders want people to live close to the train, then living near the train should not be a total nightmare. We have a new Director of MDT, Ysela Llort, as was reportd in the Herald this past Sunday, Feb. 19, 2012 (Section B- "Woman Takes Control of Miami-Dade Transit"), and maybe she would see the benefit in this and champion this issue, if she is lobbied by concerned citizens. I will end by adding a few related items - The new cars coming in the future could be quieter, but there is no guarantee of that (none that I have heard). Also, I have been promised improved sound barriers along the tracks closest to my neighborhood, but will that help? I don't know. Thanks in advance for your response. I plan to begin writing to Ms. Llort soon!

Interesting. We don't get a lot of people complaining about Metrorail noise on here, but it's logical that there are spots where the noise would be ridiculous. I sympathize with you, but are there enough people affected by this to make it an issue? I'd love to see the trains get quiter and noise barriers constructed. But in this city something either has to make a lot of money for the local politicians or be on such a large scale that they can't turn it down. I'm wondering if this would fit either of those.

Preferred Member

I live about 200 meters away from a Metrorail station. My bedroom windows faces the station, but I have never been awaken by noises made by the trains. When I am awake, I always have my music on and thus never heard anything from the trains. All my apartment windows are closed at all times.

When I am on my balcony which faces the station, I do of course hear the train when it comes as much as I hear the cars speeding by on US-1 when they are not stuck in traffic, but it's not noisy to the point of disturbing. Perhaps, this is because the trains are coming to a stop.