Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Live in NY...want to move to Miami.

Hi everyone! I have frequented this site often and finally made my plunge to visit Miami this past December 2009 with a friend. I currently live in NY (Long Island-50 min outside of NYC) am 30 yrs old and a CPA-Accountant. I hate the cold weather in NY and am ready to just leave behind my life in NY and try to start over and find some excitement again…so I always felt like MIAMI is close enough and has what I may be looking for. NOW…when I came in Dec 2009 I had a real estate person show me around…I stayed at the Clevelander and we went all through SoBe (and saw some places (all high rise buildings…can’t remember the names though) and then went into Brickell. I gather all the corporate jobs are located in Brickell?! The questions I have are as follows:

-I am looking to meet young professionals such as myself…where would be the best place for this?
    -Also, I have some free time, is there anyway I can perhaps find a place to stay for like a month or a few weeks besides a hotel to get the real everyday experience in MIAMI? Any suggestions on how to do this so that I can see if I would like it there?
    -Has anyone relocated who is in the business field…hard to find a job?!
    -I liked SoBe but not sure if this is a great place to live…is this where the professionals live…or is it more in Brickell? I am looking to be in the heart of where the action is such as the beach and nightlife at least for my first year in MIAMI.

Thank you all in advance for answering and helping me out!!!

Hi rva,

Welcome to MB411!

If you want to live amoung young, professional singles live in Brickell, or live in South Beach in one of the high rises.

If you want to stay for a month or so to get real, everyday experiences in Miami you can do a weekly/monthly vacation rental in a furnished apartment. Infact you may want to break up your stay: One week at the Flamingo, another week somewhere else, etc.

I'd go on all the major job sites that offer accounting jobs-monster, carreerbuilder..do you see accounting positions in Miami? Look up all the major Miami companies-go on their sites and take a look at their jobs. You have Burger King, Carnival Cruiselines, and I know there's a tall Bank of America building downtown.

Oh, and do you speak Spanish? If not then your job options decrease by at least 60%.

"I liked SoBe but not sure if this is a great place to live…is this where the professionals live…or is it more in Brickell? I am looking to be in the heart of where the action is such as the beach and nightlife at least for my first year in MIAMI."
    If you want to be in the heart of all the action then that's South Beach. If you want to get a good night's sleep, drop off your dry cleaning with the doorman, and have a parking spot for a reasonable price, pick Brickell. If you have a car you can drive to the clubs and beach, although parking isn't fun. The more I go to Brickell the more I like it. New, well maintained buildings with all the ammenities (you can get a nice one bed there for the price of a studio in SoBe), no major clubs but a decent amount of bars and restaurants, and sure there's no beach but chances are your building will have a killer pool.

Brickell is where the professional people live and it does have a good nightlife. South Beach however is where most of the action is, and of course the beach. Living in Brickell would make sense though if you get a job downtown, which sounds like the area you would be looking for work.

Sungal is right though, speaking Spanish is practically a must here in Miami. Not just for a job but for everyday living. If you don't speak it, please think very hard before moving as most jobs look for bi-lingual applicants.

Hi rva1279! Welcome to the forums.

Most people I know who work white collar jobs have had a hard time finding one, even locals who have lived here. However, I'm not going to say that it is impossible, but you probably want to save up at least six month's worth of living expenses to get you by.

Brickell and South Beach are a stone's throw away from each other so really you are talking six of one, half dozen of another. The difference is that in certain areas of South Beach you can just walk out your door and find a cafe or little market or more street action. Brickell is a little cleaner, elegant and less populated with lower-level retail though that is quickly changing and it is a far more dynamic neighborhood with conveniences and nightlife than it was even five years ago.

But yeah, as Jess and Sungal have suggested, if you want to be a very close taxi ride or walk to clubs, then South Beach would be your choice. You could live in South Beach and just hop over the causeway to Brickell to work. Your commute would be ridiculously short.

Now as far as where all the professionals live and where the jobs are, I mean you could be an accountant ANYWHERE in Miami-Dade county. If you find a fabulous accounting job somewhere in Kendall or Aventura etc ; you may want to reconsider where you choose to live if you want to avoid commuting. My point is, it's not like Brickell and South Beach are specifically enclaves for professionals. There are professionals living EVERYWHERE, it's just that Brickell is a major finance center and has a high concentration of corporate office buildings and of course, downtown is right across the river, where there are also many corporate and government office buildings.

I think it is a great idea to spend a month or two here getting to know the real Miami. That being said, make sure you have a car to comfortably explore beyond South Beach and Brickell. The real Miami is the whole county, not just life on the island. And also try checking out public transportation, too.

Sigh....

Sungal will tell you, if you're coming here expecting some sort of viable Young Professionals scene like New York or any other major city really, it does not exist. Sure, you may have a handful in Brickel, but a good many of them come from South America so the scene is more akin to what you'd find in Buenos Aires than San Francisco. As someone near your age, I will say that that is one of the major drawbacks to living here, is a lack of educated American people who are similar to yourself. It's not diverse like New York, it's more like living in another country.

Miami is NOTHING close to New York. I mean nothing at all like it. So if you want New York with better weather, this is not it. This is more like Santo Domingo with better infrastructure.

The job market here is bleak. Recently rated the worst in America, actually. Professional jobs are hard to find for a lot of reasons, the main one being the primary industries here are tourism and Latin American finance. Meaning that if you don't speak fluent Spanish and are overly familiar with Latin culture, you may find it difficult. We currently have unemployment around 14%, meaning we have about a quarter million unemployed people already living here. Which means pretty much nobody is hiring anyone from out of state.

Again, try it if you want. But if you're looking for a young, hip, educated professional's scene, Miami does not have that. We are extremely transient here and most career-oriented, educated people leave here within a couple years for better opportunities. You may want to rethink this.

Matt tells it like it is!

Default Re: Live in NY...want to move to Miami.

Sadly, Matt is right. If you don't have something lined up, it's best to wait until you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    This is more like Santo Domingo with better infrastructure.
    I was born and raised in SD, so I guess when I get there next year, it'll feel like home, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    Sadly, Matt is right. If you don't have something lined up, it's best to wait until you do.
    I agree with Michelle, unless you have a good pile of cash to get you by for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by lafemme View Post
    I was born and raised in SD, so I guess when I get there next year, it'll feel like home, LOL.
    Wow, lucky for you!! You'll love it then. It really is the unofficial capital of Latin America.

I'm gonna tell it like it is too ... there are two Miamis just like there are two of everything.

I don't want to disagree with what everyone is saying, but I gotta tell you, if you don't know many young professionals it may be because you probably also aren't hanging around in the right circles! Miami may not have as good a "scene" as those other mentioned cities, but there are plenty of white collar AND intellectual people in this town, trust me! The Miami I know is not stupid or vacuous and I am surrounded by highly intelligent, educated people. Heck, I barely even get a chance to speak Spanish. It all depends on who you hang out with and where you live and hang out.

And yes, while it may be the "unofficial capital of South America" ... There are people from South America who are intelligent, sophisticated, worldly cultured professionals! Go out and meet them .. they make this city a better place.

Regardless, as I mentioned before and others have suggested, it's a good idea to have something lined up or some cash to tide you over, no matter where you move to.

Quote Originally Posted by sungal View Post
    Wow, lucky for you!! You'll love it then. It really is the unofficial capital of Latin America.
    So I've heard. I just hope to make a lot of English-spekaing friends, so I that I don't forget my English. It took me several years to learn all I know now, so I hope to keep it that way, LOL.

HAHAHA. Oh man, good luck with that one. People are going to speak Spanish to you straight away if you look even remotely Hispanic. The only way to keep your English sharp is to only engage them in English, even if it creates some logistical frustrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post

And yes, while it may be the "unofficial capital of South America" ... There are people from South America who are intelligent, sophisticated, worldly cultured professionals! Go out and meet them .. they make this city a better place.
    I did not mean anything even remotely negative about saying "unofficial capital of South America". Why would you think that's a negative comment about people from Latin America?

The key is to find companies that just happen to be headquartered here, which there are a few (I believe there is a list on this site). I'm american and I don't have to use spanish at all at my job, which I also got from out of state. You are experienced and have your CPA, every company needs accountants. You can definitely get a job here, but as Maria said it will probably not be in Brickell, it could be anywhere. The best thing for you to do is to apply online and follow up by calling the company, and telling them you will be in the area on whatever dates and are available for an interview at that time. Make sure you can articulate why you want to move here.

Most people here are Hispanic, but really almost all of them speak english too, so don't worry about that. Imo, Miami is a lot less ghetto than big cities like Boston, NY, or Chicago. Matt said "As someone near your age, I will say that that is one of the major drawbacks to living here, is a lack of educated American people who are similar to yourself." so if that's what's important to you then reconsider. I personally don't care about this, life here is pretty great with the weather, tons of stuff to do, and lower cost of living. I do hate the driving here though....the roads are packed and people honk a lot, my building is adjacent to a metrorail station so I use that sometimes to get around even though I have a car. When you get the interview, ask them where they would suggest you looking for a place to live that's a good commute. I can drive on US-1 S with no traffic at 8am, but on US-1 N it takes like an hour to move 1/2 a mile.

Well I definitely think you should visit and hang out. However we have visiting several times (only once staying on south beach) and each time we met new interesting people that had jobs, spoke English, and were intelligent and fun to be around ! We enjoyed the latin flair and didn't mind hearing people speaking spanish around us

Plus there is power in optimism.

Candice

The Spanish is cute for a visit, Canidce. When it's all you hear for days on end, it starts to wear a little thin.

Julie1, while it is impressive that you found a job without speaking Spanish, and form out of state, you are definitely the large exception as opposed to the rule. For every one of you, there's a dozen or so people who failed and never made it here. I just don't want people to think it's easy or normal for that to happen. You did it, and as I said that's pretty impressive. But it's highly unusual.

New User

Default Very funny!

Matt, this is my single favourite quote EVER about Miami:

Code:
    Miami is NOTHING close to New York. I mean nothing at all like it.  So if  you want New York with better weather, this is not it. This is more  like Santo Domingo with better infrastructure.
    Having been to both new York and santo domingo, and living in Miami Beach - I cannot agree more with you!

Oh and regarding the elusive group of "young professionals" in Miami: there may be some, mostly latin. Most European/American "young professionals" do not stay more than 1, or perhaps 2 years, at most. In my experience, the vast majority of them returns to Europe/North America (Boston/Chicago/New York) after some time.

New User

Miami is NOTHING close to New York. I mean nothing at all like it. So if you want New York with better weather, this is not it. This is more like Santo Domingo with better infrastructure.
    Every person has it' own opinion. NYC and Miami are different! None of them is better. Life is differnt)
    One for making $, another for chilling)

Other than the fact that we get a lot of New Yorkers here on vacation or as snowbirds, I am still at a loss as to why people compare Miami To New York?? Or think they are similar? No one compares Miami to Boston or Chicago, so why New York. Weird...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast