Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Miami Car Insurance: What the hell?

Hi Lafemme,

I'm a little late to this thread. No on has mentioned yet that the amount of insurance also depends on your age and sex. Young men pay more.

Try State Farm Insurance. I pay an excellent rate and have been using them for years. If you like I will PM you the number of my agent rep, who works at a local branch in Kendall.

Mind you, I don't have a set daily commute so I pay the minimum annual mileage. I also live in South Miami, which helps.

I think that beyond a prevalence of old people (really? *that* is the reason?) is that there are many people driving here from other countries that don't typically respect rules of the road.

The Amtrack Auto train goes from Virginia to Florida but that probably won't work for you since you have pets. You could also tow your car behind a UHaul, but that would be a hassle. I think your option to ship the car is the best.

Have you thought about shipping your car down here? I did that this past December when I inherited a car, it didn't cost that much. Saves the mileage on your car and you don't have to take the time to drive it.

Default Re: Miami Car Insurance: WHAT THE HELL!!??

Thank you very much Maria. As my move gets closer, I will PM you so that I can get your agent's phone number. Calling now, about a year before I move, may not be a good idea.

I looked at different options like you mentioned (U-Haul and the Amtrack) but having pets is just too much of a hassle, so I'd rather ship the car and have the pets and myself flown in.

One question about South Miami. I have noticed that you talk very good about that area, but when I am looking for apartments to see prices, I almost never come up with anything listed under SM. Are there any building names, or apartment communities that you'll recommend? I will also have a limited budget, at least at the beginning, so I am trying to save as much as I can while still being safe (I know it's a lot to ask for). Do you think that I can find a 2br for under $1000 in SM? If not, are there any near towns/neighborhoods that I can look at?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Have you thought about shipping your car down here? I did that this past December when I inherited a car, it didn't cost that much. Saves the mileage on your car and you don't have to take the time to drive it.
    Yes Matt. That's the decision I came to. It's an old car but my mechanic says that if I ship it, I can still use it for a few more years. The quotes I have been getting from MA to FL go from $450-$795.

Would you mind to share what company you used? I have received quotes from so many, that I am unsure which one I am going to choose.

The last time I checked (about a year ago), there were two bedrooms close to downtown South Miami in the $1200 range. I've seen others closer up to the $1500-$1700 range more recently but these are BIG apartments with washer/dryer, multiple levels, two parking spots, 1.5 baths etc; These are also closer to the downtown section.

It is a very safe and pleasant neighborhood. You need to look for "Sunset Place" or "downtown South Miami" or "near University of Miami" ... and when I say "near" I mean literally. Some ads will say "minutes to everything" but that is not necessarily true.

Who knows what prices for rents around here will be like a year from now. But I do recommend my neighborhood! As you get closer to your move, I can help you pinpoint some locations, if you're interested in the area.

Thanks again, Maria. Last time I was in FL, I checked Coral Gables and South Miami and I loved them both. So, I'd appreciate your help as my moving gets closer. I may only need a one-bedroom, but it all depends on my parents getting their green cards by that time or not. I am petitioning them at the end of the year and I have been told by friends that this process usually takes from 10 months to a year. Only time will tell.

Another question, is SM pet friendly? I have a dog and a cat and they are coming with me.

To answer your question, I was an experienced hire, so I make more here. When you switch jobs you usually get a raise so they can entice you to make the switch. But I really profit off of the lower cost of living and no state income tax. Salaries usually line up with the cost of living, so yes they are lower here. I have lived here for like a month and a half now but the cost of it's being a lower cost of living, that's a fact. Also definitely do the car ship, best $600 i ever spent....

I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of the company I used.

So after hearing that I figured I have two options: 1) sell the car before I move and buy another one in FL or 2) pay 500-600 to a car shipping company to have it shipped there. The former will make me spend too much money and will require for me to stay in MA longer to make up for it (which I can't stand). The latter sounds like a better option. If I can have my car shipped, I can use it for 1 or two more years, until Iím settled in FL and then buy another one. Besides, driving to FL from MA will mean a lot of money in gas, hotel, and stress because I am traveling with my pets. I rather find a cheap ticket through Spirit Airline or another carrier, and have my pets flown with me. Two-three days driving will be too much for all of us. I hope I am doing the right thing.
    Don't forget to factor in the cost of moving the registration from MA to FL. You will have to pay a $46 registration fee, plus from what I read, a $225 fee for "new wheels". I remember this being the case when I moved to FL.

Watch out for Progressive!! They really got me. When you first get the insurance, the price is low, and every 6 months they send you a new contract automatically. I think they expect you will throw away your past policy premiums so you don't remember how much you used to pay. About 3 years later, I thought, "wow, this bill is getting high". I went back to check from the beginning and the policy had doubled.

I have had Allstate since I dropped Progressive and the bill has remained very steady over the past 10 years.

Toyotas are great cars; they last forever. However, I think you should definitely weigh the cost of the shipping plus the registration against buying a comparable car here. Insurance can also be high for older vehicles. Buying a newer model may save you money in the long run.

And just for the record, I agree with you. After a specific age, people should have to take driving tests every couple of years.

The other thing to remember here, Michelle, is that car dealers are pretty unscrupulous. I've never had even an honest experience with one. Granted, I've only dealt with buying/selling 2 cars here, but I've never heard anything good.

New User

Cool Re: Miami Car Insurance: WHAT THE HELL!!??

Quote Originally Posted by lafemme View Post
    In Fl too? LOL, I have seen many of those here in MA. The last one was at a Wal-Mart and the man hit a lady who had her baby in the shopping cart. Last thing I heard in the news about it was that the baby was in critical condition. The man lived a at nursing home next door and was in his 80s. I think they should have driving age limit as they have age restrictions (16 1/2 to get a license). What about you can only drive until 70??? Now we don't only have to watch out with teenagers, but the elderly as well. May God protect us drivers and pedestrians!
    That's an issue that really bugs me actually.I remember when I used to live in London, after
    a certain age elderly people had to retake their driving test every so often to see if they were still responsible drivers. I wish they had something like this here.
    Good luck with your move!

Quote Originally Posted by danibrasil View Post
    That's an issue that really bugs me actually.I remember when I used to live in London, after
    a certain age elderly people had to retake their driving test every so often to see if they were still responsible drivers. I wish they had something like this here.
    Good luck with your move!
    They do??

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    They do??
    I thought they did, I lived there from 1990 to 1996, but I never drove there so I called my dad. Actually your licence expires at 70 and it seems some parts in the south west will require a medical. The country which has strict laws is actually Spain.Ops.

Thanks for checking! I was thinking of all the old people driving in England, thinking, surely that's not right!

Both my parents drive. They are over 70 and their licenses are not expired ...

Quote Originally Posted by lafemme View Post
    Another question, is SM pet friendly? I have a dog and a cat and they are coming with me.
    Yes, South Miami is very pet friendly!

lafemme, my guess is that you may know this but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways: If you have a parent who was in the military, you can get all kinds of insurance through USAA.

I'm not sure if this can apply to other relatives (grand parents, uncles, siblings), but you should take a look into it.

Coming from MA? Ditto.

I moved here from Boston about a month a half ago.

Good luck with the move!

Quote Originally Posted by rtoledo71 View Post
    lafemme, my guess is that you may know this but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways: If you have a parent who was in the military, you can get all kinds of insurance through USAA.

I'm not sure if this can apply to other relatives (grand parents, uncles, siblings), but you should take a look into it.

Coming from MA? Ditto.

I moved here from Boston about a month a half ago.

Good luck with the move!
    Hi Rtoledo,

Thanks for the info. Unfurtunately I don't have any relative who's ever been in the military.

Glad to find someone from MA in this forum. Would you mind to share your experience thus far? Since you are from Boston, what are the pros and cons that you have found in FL compare to MA?

Always need to mindfull next to a Buick. I remember a case of years ago.
    Car plows through market, killing 9 - CNN

Oh man. That happened right after I moved out to CA and was staying in the Palisades. Like I'd just driven through that area that day.

Also, when I was in the Marines I tried the USAA thing, and it was almost no different than Allstate. No joke. Maybe it's because I was 19 and living in Miami and had a ticket and an accident on my record. But all the Devil Dogs I knew were swearing up and down what a great deal it was, and I saw no savings. That was about the point where I decided car insurance was a needless frivolity.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast