Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Miami Car Insurance: What the hell?

Default Re: Miami Car Insurance: WHAT THE HELL!!??

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Oh man. That happened right after I moved out to CA and was staying in the Palisades. Like I'd just driven through that area that day.

That must of also been around the time that that dude went on a joy ride with an army tank he hijacked from the army depot. That was fkn hilarious. Insurance companies in socal were certainly hurting that day.

Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 10-01-2010 at 01:49 AM.

Oh man. That happened right after I moved out to CA and was staying in the Palisades. Like I'd just driven through that area that day.

Also, when I was in the Marines I tried the USAA thing, and it was almost no different than Allstate. No joke. Maybe it's because I was 19 and living in Miami and had a ticket and an accident on my record. But all the Devil Dogs I knew were swearing up and down what a great deal it was, and I saw no savings. That was about the point where I decided car insurance was a needless frivolity.
    Well, I never said it was cheaper, just another option.

And yeah, being 19 with a "bad" driving record doesn't help. Maybe you should take a look again.

Quote Originally Posted by lafemme View Post
    Hi Rtoledo,

Thanks for the info. Unfurtunately I don't have any relative who's ever been in the military.

Glad to find someone from MA in this forum. Would you mind to share your experience thus far? Since you are from Boston, what are the pros and cons that you have found in FL compare to MA?
    These are all my opinions so toss out anything you don't like:

Pros:

Lower cost of living, even on the beach.
    Year round warm weather (I can tolerate the cold but my preference is warmer weather)
    A real beach (sorry but MA beaches suck in comparison)
    No Red Sox fans (not a Sox hater, just a hater of the fans. )
    On South Beach, which is where I live, I can walk to just about anything.
    South Beach is relatively bike friendly.
    The 6th St Market. I love this place.
    South Beach Local Bus: $0.25 to ride it and it covers the outer edges of South Beach

Cons:

For the most part, you need a car. I have managed without one but I think for most people, it's a necessity.
    Public transportation is lame compared to Boston. Even with all the bus routes, it's still pales in comparison.
    Miami itself is NOT bike friendly.
    South Beach: Apartments are expensive. However, I feel for the same cost, you get more bang for you buck than in Boston.
    Hurricanes. I never felt that the Noreasters ever caused as much damage as hurricanes. I've been through 3 of the worst Noreasters on record in my time in Boston and while the there was damage, nothing on the scale of hurricane Andrew.
    And last for now, UPS here sucks. If you must ship anything, use FedEx.

Smile Re: Miami Car Insurance: What the hell?

Thanks again Rtoledo. I have heard that cost of living is cheaper compared to Boston from many people. What about salaries? I know the South pays less than the Northeast, but is it what they pay enough to make a living?

P.S. I am not a Sox hater either, but I must admit that NE fans are special, for lack of a better word!

Default Re: Miami Car Insurance: What the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by lafemme View Post
    Thanks again Rtoledo. I have heard that cost of living is cheaper compared to Boston from many people. What about salaries? I know the South pays less than the Northeast, but is it what they pay enough to make a living?

P.S. I am not a Sox hater either, but I must admit that NE fans are special, for lack of a better word!
    Well, I can't tell you much about salaries other than my own experience with my new job. I received a 30% increase in salary. I honestly wasn't expecting that kind of pay increase but I can say I am far more comfortable financially here than I was in Boston. Even living on South Beach, which is more expensive than other parts of Miami, I live comfortably. I have a director's position and from what I understand, the pay is relatively consistent (I know someone who is a director with another organization and we get paid about the same amount).

If I were making the same amount of money as I was in Boston, I think I'd still be ok, but I wouldn't live on South Beach.

One other con I just remembered: recycling really sucks here. Owners have to arrange this on their own. If your landlord isn't into recycling, chances are you're not going to convince them to pay for this service.
    Last edited by rtoledo71; 10-01-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Honestly there is some cheap insurance out there. It all depends on your driving record and what kind of coverage. I've seen insurance as low as 60 bucks a month. Honestly, for a 6-month-out-of-job plan, you should put down a good 200-300 a month to play it safe.

No Red Sox Fans? Oh man, go to any bar during a big game of theirs. Or go to a Sox-Marlins game when they come down here. No shortage at all. Maybe not as many as there are in Mass, but insofar as non-northeastern cities, you'd be hard pressed to find a higher concentration.

So any advice for others on which company has the best rates in Miami?

I have Progressive and it's decent but the rate increases for every 6 month renewal but I think that is par for the course. All-State had a similar rate as Progressive last time I checked and State Farm was much higher.

What about those smaller local companies like "Del Toro"?

Have you tried The General? I see their ads on during Maury and Springer all the time. And anyone advertising during those shows ain't targeting people with money. Well, money they'd choose to spend on insurance for their car instead of rims.

No Red Sox Fans? Oh man, go to any bar during a big game of theirs. Or go to a Sox-Marlins game when they come down here. No shortage at all. Maybe not as many as there are in Mass, but insofar as non-northeastern cities, you'd be hard pressed to find a higher concentration.
    It's far easier to deal with them here. I know they exist. They're like a plague!

As far as why there are so many here: Ft. Meyers. I'm glad I don't live there.

Hey forum family! I moved the recycling posts to the recycling thread. Let's continue the discussion there and stick to car insurance and related issues here. Thank you!

Recycling on the Beach

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of the Miami Galaxy

Picking up car insurance hell.

When I drop into Miami on the 28th of this month, I will have a rental car for a while, but I need my own wheels soon.

Me stupid foreigner, me no insurance history, me no credit, me no (FL/USA) driver's license, me no habla Espaņol (just a bit of Portuguese, and good Dutch, German, French, and English). Hello, world :-)

I won't get an affordable loan, so I will need to find a dealer, point at a car, pay cash, and then show all the paperwork. I understood I need to show insurance before I can drive the car off the lot. Am I right in assuming that, therefore, getting insurance is going to be my primary activity, even without having any specific car in mind?

Dutchie

Dutchie, I'm not really sure. I think that how much you pay for insurance depends on what kind of car you have and where you park it etc ; However, you do need insurance to drive any car that isn't a rental, so technically you should be insured. It sounds like a catch-22. I will call my car insurance agent this week and ask her.

First thing you need to do is get your FL license, ASAP. You are going to need ID anyway and that Brit license will only get you so far. Trust me, I know.
    I did my test last year, it was easy and definitely worth it. You are going to need a FL id, may as well be a license instead of an ID card if you are going to the DMV.

I agree with Jess, get your Florida licence ASAP! I think you only have three months after you arrive to complete the test, which I didn't realise when I moved over. I ended up paying a fine when I couldn't produce anything other than a British licence, so it's definitely worth making it a priority.

The test is easy anyway, it's not like taking your original driving test or anything to be intimidated by.

You can drive on an International License for a year. After that, you're in trouble. Not sure how strictly they enforce it though, I never had an issue, then again I never got pulled over with it.

Wow, I must have left it longer than I thought lol! I was so convinced that I'd have to do an entire driving test on unfamiliar roads that I avoided it for as long as I could, then ended up getting pulled over in the Gables and getting a ticket. The fine for not having a Florida licence wasn't very much, but still... it would have been better avoided. I got a few parking tickets during that time too, and oddly they never picked up on the licence issue when I paid those. I guess they don't care if you're paying the fine.

The test really wasn't anything to worry about in the end, so I wish I'd just done it when I first arrived!

What about changing the license from another state? Anyone done this one? As well Maria, any update on this insurance before car, but insurance depends on car?

If you have another license in the U.S., like from another state, you just go into the DMV and they'll swap it out for a Florida license. That's assuming, of course, your license in that other state is in good standing.

You can buy insurance at most dealerships, or you can call your insurance company and buy insurance while you're there so you can get the car off the lot. But yeah, the rate you pay depends on the car. Like the insurance on an old Saturn is going to be a lot less than the insurance on a new BWM. Does that make sense? A lot has to do with accident propensity depending on the car, the value of the car, how often it's stolen, whether it has an alarm, etc.

If you have another license in the U.S., like from another state, you just go into the DMV and they'll swap it out for a Florida license. That's assuming, of course, your license in that other state is in good standing.

You can buy insurance at most dealerships, or you can call your insurance company and buy insurance while you're there so you can get the car off the lot. But yeah, the rate you pay depends on the car. Like the insurance on an old Saturn is going to be a lot less than the insurance on a new BWM. Does that make sense? A lot has to do with accident propensity depending on the car, the value of the car, how often it's stolen, whether it has an alarm, etc.
    Excellent. I'm still technically a resident of Hoboken and have a valid drivers license in good standing with a clean driving history so should make me happy.

Really helpful to know I can call the insurance place while purchasing the car more or less, I'll prob line one up after choosing a car I want, and before I purchase to be safe. The rate thing is one of the reasons I'm turned off of getting a bmw or audi lol.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast