Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

This one is a hard pick. If only the beach was bigger and had more variety.

Default Re: Miami or Miami Beach: Which would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I love it too. I think that due to the beach being so full of tourists, the locals like to feel like they belong as such. The beach is such a different place if you are not here on vacation. Once people recognized me as being a 'local' as in here more than 2 weeks, everything changed.
    Yes, this is exactly my experience. I would love for Matt to tell us where he is hanging out that he is having such a different experience than you and I. Maybe we could direct him to the "locals" places.

Hahaha. Yeah, coach. Because I NEVER go to "locals" places.

I'm not talking about being surrounded by tourists 24/7. I'm talking about the majority of people I know here not being long-term Miamians. Even the handfull I know who have no intention of leaving "once I get tired of it and want to move on" generally haven't been here that long. Not that I'm a lifer or anything, but I do remember going to Panther games at the Miami Arena.

Point being, the people I meet on the beach, the "locals" is you will, aren't really locals in the way City people are. To use people on this site as examples, it would be like Jess vs. Carlos and Maria. Yeah, Jess is a "local" by Beach standards, but Carlos and Maria know this entire city through and through, were born here and presumably will die here. While Jess could direct me to some great locals bars and restaurants in South Beach, I don't think she could even tell me the significance of Country Walk, much less where it was. You see the difference?

Haha I will give him that one. Never heard of it.

I chose Miami Beach over Miami because I'd be close to work. Also, I didn't want to deal with having a car and everything I need is on the beach.

I knew I'd be making enough money to live comfortably on the beach so higher overall costs were not a concern.

Yes, it's very touristy and locals are scarce, but I've experienced that in Boston (more real locals there though). Every Sept we get like 10k "tourists" in the form of students and most go away in May. Granted, there's no mass exodus here in South Beach.

I'll stay on the beach for as long as I can because once I move, I'll need a car and I really want to put that off as long as possible. I hate driving to work. I hear the traffic in Miami sucks.

Living in Miami Beach is not only about the beach. It's also about the people who are always out and about. I absolutely would pick the beach for the lively environment.

I had to go to Miami Beach twice this weekend and spend the whole day there for different events. While I was there, I thought about this thread. As much as I love it, boy, I really don't miss living there. But I'd do it again if the circumstances were right and even so with some hesitation. I just LOVE the fact that I can be at the beach in 20 minutes more or less and still have the peace & quiet of South Miami.

Well, I love the beach itself, it's beautiful, Caribbean, clean. I wish I could live life there like I would on some Caribbean island. But, I didn't really want to live there though because South Beach isn't quiet. It's full of tourists, partying, etc. while I'm busy "climbing the corporate ladder at some unimportant company in Miami" (haha, snap!) and have to live a real life. Don't hate on people who have real lives....I don't work because it's my ultimate goal in life. A job, a car, money, etc. that all gives you freedom. I am a single woman who does not have another person in this world that I can fall back on if I screw up, so I need to take care of myself. Plus I hate traffic and long commutes. But it is hard to get to the beach enough when you live in Kendall

Yeah. I mean I'd pick the Beach over Kendall 6 days a week and twice on Sunday. Shit, I'd pick Apopka over Kendall most days. I guess I just meant like "the city, except for Kendall."

Quote Originally Posted by Julie1 View Post
    But, I didn't really want to live there though because South Beach isn't quiet. It's full of tourists, partying, etc. while I'm busy "climbing the corporate ladder at some unimportant company in Miami" and have to live a real life.
    That is the second time this week someone has made that remark about South Beach as in, "yeah I can't live there cos I need a real life."

Well, that really pisses me off.

I work a 9-5 job. I pay bills. I go food shopping. I have to save for vacations. I have a pet. And many other things, that make my life a real life. This is not so much aimed at you Julie, but to all the people who say, oh I can't live on SoBe as i need a real life. I live on SoBe, and I have a very 'real' life.

New User

Well if you want to be surrounded by black people live in Miami
    If you want to be surrounded by hispanic people and tourists live in Miami Beach.

If you want to live in a big downtown kinda city live in Miami.
    If you want to live by the ocean. Live in Miami Beach.

If you want to live in a place where shootings happen every day live in Miami.
    If you want to live where there are tons of drunk people all over the place all the time live in Miami Beach.

Miami is cheaper than Miami Beach.
    If I had to pick one I would pick Miami Beach hands down.
    Its higher class.

I was surprised to find that the rents were as high as they were in mainland Miami. While it's not as popular as the Beach, rentals are mixed in with more single family housing, so I think this evens it out a little. In Coconut Grove, many of the apartments I looked at were actually much higher than comparable units in South Beach! Coral Gables was no savings, either. Maybe if you're out in Kendall or Hialeah, there's a big drop -- but not in the more upscale neighborhoods.

Also, the shootings and other issues are things you would find in inner city neighborhoods of Miami. You wouldn't experience those kinds of things living in Coral Gables, the Grove, Pinecrest, or Palmetto Bay.

I work a 9-5 job. I pay bills. I go food shopping. I have to save for vacations. I have a pet. And many other things, that make my life a real life. This is not so much aimed at you Julie, but to all the people who say, oh I can't live on SoBe as i need a real life. I live on SoBe, and I have a very 'real' life.
    Jess, I totally agree with you. I had a "real life" too when I lived there. I worked on graduate school stuff, then had a 9-5 job etc; I think that it all has to do with how you choose to live your life. As I mentioned before, I don't miss living on Miami Beach, but I agree that you can have a "serious" life there.

Wow 1979, you certainly covered every stereotype about Miami and every which one can be refuted to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie1 View Post
    Well, I love the beach itself, it's beautiful, Caribbean, clean. I wish I could live life there like I would on some Caribbean island. But, I didn't really want to live there though because South Beach isn't quiet. It's full of tourists, partying, etc. while I'm busy "climbing the corporate ladder at some unimportant company in Miami" (haha, snap!) and have to live a real life. Don't hate on people who have real lives....I don't work because it's my ultimate goal in life. A job, a car, money, etc. that all gives you freedom. I am a single woman who does not have another person in this world that I can fall back on if I screw up, so I need to take care of myself. Plus I hate traffic and long commutes. But it is hard to get to the beach enough when you live in Kendall
    That's interesting Julie .. I find the beaches here not nearly as beautiful as the Caribbean. I'm a spoiled local.

Where you live is not really the heart of Kendall. Go to the beach early on the weekend. You'll get there in no time! Right on the edge of South Miami is the border to suburbia. I think you're in a good spot.

I agree that stable work affords you freedom but of course, as with everything else, there are sacrifices. But I used to work a stable 9 to 5 job in South Beach for several years and I was not at all swayed by the party lifestyle or affected by noise. As I mentioned above, it all depends on how you focus your life. IN your situation though you'd be nuts to commute from Miami Beach to South Dade. I think you made the right choice. Commuting sucks.

New User

i agree maria. i was kind of on annoyed rant at the moment I posted that. Im not prejudiced and Im sorry if I offended anyone. To answer the question honestly. Id say Miami Beach simply because you are by the ocean and its beautiful.

No offense taken, 1979. Thanks for your reply.

That is the second time this week someone has made that remark about South Beach as in, "yeah I can't live there cos I need a real life."

Well, that really pisses me off.

Except fort the pisses me off part, ditto.

Oh, and I don't have a pet...yet.

1979, I don't think there was anything particularly inaccurate in that rant at all. Except there's really only pockets of black people in Miami. Much more Hispanics.

That, and all else being equal I'd choose to live in the City.

Quote Originally Posted by rtoledo71 View Post
    Except fort the pisses me off part, ditto.

Oh, and I don't have a pet...yet.
    It takes a lot to piss me off, but people being disparaging about the beach usually does it!

Neither is better, the original question was, which would you choose. But to say you can't have a real life on the beach is not true. You are just seeing what the tourists see.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast