Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Miami or Miami Beach: Which would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    But there is nothing wrong with living like a tourist 365! Do you know how lucky we are to be able to do that? People everywhere else are jealous of that, why do you think everyone wants to move to Miami Beach?!

I think that is a big part of what I love about this part of the country (and especially this part of FL). People save money all year to come here for a week for what I can do every single day for the rest of my life. Being stressed out and living to work instead of working to live is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by youwishyoulivedhere View Post
    Being stressed out and living to work instead of working to live is overrated.
    Hell yes. I had a Dr ask me recently if I was stressed. I said are you kidding? Look where I live!

I loved living in South Beach because of the beautiful ocean. I consider myself a huge fan of the beach. However, living there I came to take the beach for granted. It was 5 minutes away from me and I could go there every day. So maybe if you live a bit further away like Brickell or Coral Gables you'll actually go more.

Anyway, I still vote for Miami Beach as the place to live. If I had to do it again, I'd choose Brickell- I like the professional vibe and all the high rises-it has a nice energy. Not to mention all the newer construction apartment available for reasonable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by youwishyoulivedhere View Post
    I think that is a big part of what I love about this part of the country (and especially this part of FL). People save money all year to come here for a week for what I can do every single day for the rest of my life. Being stressed out and living to work instead of working to live is overrated.
    Well, hello! Yes, but do people really do things? This is my mission in life ... people NOT being tourists in their own backyards and enjoying what life in South Florida has to offer.

I just had a guy from England tell me him and each of his "mates" are saving up about $3500 for their 2-week trip here. Insane. Hard to believe people save up like 3 times the rent on a 1-BR apartment to come here for just a couple weeks. Really does make you feel lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Hahaha. Yeah, coach. Because I NEVER go to "locals" places.

I'm not talking about being surrounded by tourists 24/7. I'm talking about the majority of people I know here not being long-term Miamians. Even the handfull I know who have no intention of leaving "once I get tired of it and want to move on" generally haven't been here that long. Not that I'm a lifer or anything, but I do remember going to Panther games at the Miami Arena.

Point being, the people I meet on the beach, the "locals" is you will, aren't really locals in the way City people are. To use people on this site as examples, it would be like Jess vs. Carlos and Maria. Yeah, Jess is a "local" by Beach standards, but Carlos and Maria know this entire city through and through, were born here and presumably will die here. While Jess could direct me to some great locals bars and restaurants in South Beach, I don't think she could even tell me the significance of Country Walk, much less where it was. You see the difference?
    No. I completely do not buy this. When you say "City people", be specific. You have already ruled out Kendall. Exactly what two areas are you comparing when you say, "Miami or Miami Beach"?

I think that nearly everybody in Miami-Dade County, and probably most people, are parochial. They rarely get out of their local area. My bosses almost never leave Coconut Grove. The thing is, most of the cities & suburbs around the Miami-Dade County area are reasonably self-contained. Each city has its own commerce, culture and entertainment.

For example, you could probably find plenty to do in Kendall, every day of the week, if you were so inclined. You could go out to bars, see galleries, museums, movies, parks, etc. Same could be said for anywhere around here. So, hanging around your own area mostly is not a relevant criterion.

I do agree that South Beach has more transients. I don't agree that this is a negative.

Kendall people are DEFINITELY City people. Just not a part of the city I'd ever want to live in.

You are right, though, people in Miami a lot of the time don't leave they're little enclaves. Which seems werid to me because geographically the city isn't that big. And I make a point of bring in at least 3 different Miami-Dade municipalities every day just so I don't ever get island fever.

In some ways, I think the type of person that Matt is commenting on regarding "real life" would be someone like myself.

My husband and I moved to Miami knowing that we needed a place to stay, temporarily, while we looked for a house to buy. The novelty of living by the beach was a big draw so I found us an apartment there to live while we househunted and got familiar with the area. I knew that we could not afford to live on the beach in the long run, other then a temporary stay in an apartment. So, we got to be "beach people" for a while.

But the truth is, we are just a few degrees off of the stereotypical 'normal' Americans. (I say degrees off because my husband and I formerly, works in politics-nothing too normal about that.) My husband's work dominates his time, I am now at home raising a baby for a little while, and we are looking to buy a house. We can't afford a beach house, I don't want my child in the SOBE area, I am in a different time and place in my life then most of the club goers and singletons of SOBE.

So when our apartment lease was up and the baby was about to be born, across the bay we moved!

At the beach apartment we were surrounded by people who were either retired, disabled, or young service workers living for the beach scene.

Now we are in a suburban area surrounded by families and working folks. Not that the beach people were not working folks, perhaps I just saw them in their beach gear too much and here, I see my neighbors leaving for work around 7 and returning from work at 5 or 6pm. No surfboards or board shorts.

The beach was fun, but the lifestyle is not totally available for the large demographic that I belong to. Lounging time is hard to come by, especially with a tropical drink and an ocean breeze. That, to us, is the occasional Saturday or Sunday.

Laurab, thanks for sharing your experience. You know, it's really interesting. Some old friends of mine (well they aren't old, but in their early 30s) from my "old" South Beach life chose to stay on the island with their baby. They are raising him right there, but last time I saw them, the kid was still a wee toddler not yet at school. I wonder if they are still living right smack dab in South Beach, where they own a couple of apartments.

I agree with you though on moving out of Bay Harbor to the mainland. If I had a kid, I would probably never choose to raise him / her on the beach, unless I was part of the Jewish Orthodox community, which I wouldn't be ... or maybe if I lived in mid-beach, which is so strongly family-oriented and has tons of schools. Ditto North Beach.

By the way, y'all ... now that I have done a road trip up the east coast of Florida, South Beach seems like the least likely place to raise a child or to live in if you want peace and quiet and a lifestyle that is really respectful of mother nature. After seeing communities where there are no buildings taller than 4 stories and the beaches are fully public and natural with no bullsh*t "scene" nearby, I have reconfirmed my conclusion of calling Miami Beach "Beachhattan" for all its tall buildings and its reliance on celebrity spin for tourism. It is really a concrete jungle!

Traveling up A1A has given me a real sense of perspective. I think I would still always go for mainland Miami and stick to South Miami if I had to choose a place to live in Miami-Dade.

Mind you A1A is loaded with snowbird condos and such, but it's *all* about the beach ... it's so different up here.

Pompano is the most depressing stretch of beach I've ever been to in the US. Like, all old, ugle highrises, and no view of the Beach. South Beach is what it is, but at least it's not ugly and depressing like Pompano.

Have you been to Lighthouse Point in Pompano, Matt? It's really beautiful!

Yeah, you're right there. Lighthouse Point is nice. But I'm talking like Pompano on Atlantic Blvd and that area.

I just had a guy from England tell me him and each of his "mates" are saving up about $3500 for their 2-week trip here. Insane. Hard to believe people save up like 3 times the rent on a 1-BR apartment to come here for just a couple weeks. Really does make you feel lucky.
    If you convert it to pounds it's not bad, about 1,900 pounds sterling for a 5 star experience for two weeks. Ok, maybe 4 star. They get a better deal coming to Miami than Americans going to England for two weeks. I don't think any American these days can afford to have a 4 star experience in London for two whole weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    I don't think any American these days can afford to have a 4 star experience in London for two whole weeks.
    I can But I guess I'm cheating, I still think in pounds! So Miami is still cheap to me!

Kendall people are DEFINITELY City people. Just not a part of the city I'd ever want to live in.

You are right, though, people in Miami a lot of the time don't leave they're little enclaves. Which seems werid to me because geographically the city isn't that big. And I make a point of bring in at least 3 different Miami-Dade municipalities every day just so I don't ever get island fever.
    There IS always stuff to do. I lived a short time on Kendall, and yeah, its very suburban and boring. But Miami-Dade does offer several different scenes, which I think is what Coach is referring to. If South Beach is not your scene, you can try Wynwood, Brickell, Coconut Grove, Little Havana. And in each area, you have bars and clubs that cater to different tastes and fashions. And the art scene is constantly overlooked.

You stay with your parents over there Jess. That doesn't count.

You stay with your parents over there Jess. That doesn't count.
    Told you I was cheating

Florida Native Here.

I never once thought of living in Miami or Miami Beach. Just recently, last 3 years I might live in Miami-Dade or Broward only for ease of movement (location) reasons. I was born and raised on the Beach in Florida north of Miami, where majority of folks still respect the US culture, speak english and assimulate with fellow Americans. I am a dual resident of Brazil and Colombia. I speak English, Spanish and Portuguese and studying French. Traveling to Tahiti soon for 30 day experiemental trip to possibly live. I lived in Spain for 8 months in 2009 and spent a lot of time in Portugal. I am 47 years old, no kids, semi-retired, divorced from a Colombian woman ( met her in Colombia ). As a native Floridian I see Miami as a joke. Most of Miami Beach is full of posers, dykish-she-men type women, flaming gays, wanna be dreamers, cocky foreigners and strange people in general. Most Latins in Miami do not speak nor want to learn English and most do not assimlute with home grown Americans. Most of Dade county could easliy qualify as a neighborhood in Cuba with 8 goot fences, six low rider vehicles on the front lawn, trash in the yard, etc. To most Floridians, Miami is over-rated, illegal immigrant ground zero with no sense of soul or community, a lot like most of Los Angeles and El Paso, Texas. Fyi: I speak fluent English, Portuguese, Spanish, some French and own homes in Brazil and Colombia, and a former resident of San Jose, Costa Rica. I have spent time in every country in Latin America. I have not dated an American woman since 1998. Most of my friends are Brazilian, Colombian, Tahitian or other Latin nationality.

My post is not meant to offend - just giving my two cents worth as a Native.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.
    Last edited by Jon Walters; 12-03-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Jon Walters -

I guess we can take that as a not very subtle "no" vote to both Miami and Miami Beach.

Glenn

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast