Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

The Florida Panhandle is just like L.A. ....... Lower Alabama.

Glenn

Default Re: Miami or Miami Beach: Which would you choose?

Well I posted my response back on September when this thread was just a few replies. Now its 5 pages and March so I thought i'd post a follow up.

thanks to those that didn't get offended by my post first of all.

My view of Miami (The City/Municipality) Vs. Miami Beach hasn't changed much. The Beach is still where its at fortunately. The noise is something you have to get use to if you have an apartment like I do that is right on the street. Perhaps I should have chosen a more interior unit on a higher floor, but this is how you learn. We have 2 cars still and some nights, parking does suck, and it takes 15-20 mins and 5 blocks but for most of the time, we get a spot within 2 blocks. I have since purchased a scooter and that has made all the difference. The traffic for the Food & Wine festival this past weekend was nothing like i've experienced except when I was 18 and in Daytona Beach for spring break and it would take 35 minutes to go from 1 bridge to the other on A1A. Thankfully my scooter allowed me to get everywhere I needed as I drove down the bike lane, passing all the people that were in traffic for hours trying to leave. Life went on for me despite this event and just running to the store has become so easy for me compared to before when I feared to drive and risk losing my parking spot. Thanks to the close proximity of everything in miami beach (bank/stores/food/parks/beach), my car never moves on my days off and once I get my transfer, my car will be gone and my dream of never driving to work again will finally come true. My scooter gets 80MPG which is nice now that premium gas here on the beach is $4.00 and I bought the 150cc, 60MPH beast for $500 on craigslist.

However, now that I've lived and worked in the 'City' and 'Suburbs' for awhile, I will say that the city of Miami is much worse than I had envisioned. The people, for the most part, truly are scheming scumbags. I work in a beautiful, famous hotel in Doral and I can't begin to tell you the amount of underhanded behavior I have to deal with on a daily basis. Everyone is out for themselves, everyone is trying to scheme something from someone, and if they catch you 'slipping', they will take advantage of you. But is it because this city is so tough that they had to adapt their behavior or fear being swallowed up by this city? Perhaps. The Mantra for New York, applies here too "This is Miami, if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere", and that couldn't be more true, even living by the beach. Walking home from whatever block you parked on, you better have your pepper spray in hand and be looking out for drunks/bums/thieves...If you leave something outside, unattended, it will be gone in a matter of seconds. If you want to donate something or give something away, but don't want people coming in to your home or want to pack it in your car, leave it by the nearest dumpster. Someone will grab it within minutes and someone will put it to use. If you think the oncoming car/cab/Suv will stop because you are crossing the street, you are sadly mistaken. If you think they will get out and help you if they hit you, you are again mistaken. City of Miami is like nothing else in Florida and kudos to those that have survived it for so long.

But through all this, I still love Miami Beach way more than the city of Miami, my previous town of West Palm Beach, or my 20+ year hometown of Orlando. I've lived 'on the beach' for 7 months now and have not been to 1 night club (and I'm 28, married, with no kids) so the 'club scene' for locals is overrated. Once you move here, waiting in lines for an hour to pay a $30 cover charge and drink $20 drinks doesn't have the same 'allure' it does when you are on vacation. I live a block from Flamingo Park and use it a few times a week as it has something for everyone (and free). Now that the weather is warmed up, its back to the beach a few times a week. Except now I can walk there, swim, feel better, get a tan, check out the beauties, and go home after an hour or two rather than packing the car, checking the weather, driving, paying to park, getting sand in the car, finding somewhere to change, etc. and basically planning your whole 'day' around the beach. And again, its a free way to have fun in Miami Beach.

But I think I may have stumbled on to why people say they can't live here, won't live here, etc. The reason is that for most transients, its just too much for them. Its sensory overload. If you've been trapped in a suburb most of your life and only come here to vacation, being in 'fantasyland' 24/7 is just too much. They can't handle the freedom that Miami Beach offers them. Some people 'need' a car and need to drive to work as they have been doing it for so many years. Some people can't get use to not owning a car and never leaving the island. They drive over the bridge to go to the Dolphin Mall or Dadeland even though the same stores are here. They need to return to their sense of 'normalcy' that they are so accustom to. People make excuses to this effect rather than just say ' I couldn't handle living there' or 'it was too much fun for me, I need the mundane life that we're use to', which is fine, as long as people are being honest with themselves and others. So often people don't want to admit things so we cover it up and shift blame to make ourselves feel better. There are times where I even think "Is this real? Do I really live here? Don't I have to leave soon?" and the answer is....whatever you want it to be. Its your life, do what makes you happy. But don't be delusional and try to convince others of these delusions. There is crime in every city, there is high costs in every city, there are high property taxes in all 3 of the South Florida Counties, so please don't use that as your reasons for hating this eclectic beach town. Sure we have tourists and tourists traps, but you don't have to go there or waste your time and money on them. You can go to Ocean drive and still have fun but you don't have to drink the $25 fishbowl drinks. My wife and I go there weekly for breakfast and eat at many of the sidewalk restaurants for breakfast and its $4.25 per person. Yes, $4.25, you read that correct. 2 Eggs, Sausage, Toast, Potatoes. That's cheaper than the Denny's and IHops of the world that cover the suburban towns of Orlando/Kendall/Tampa/etc. Just dont' be silly enough to order the $5.00 Orange Juice!

If you can hustle, know how to hustle, or know when your being hustled, Miami Beach can work out nicely for you. Some people can't, won't, or know how to really survive in a city like this and I don't blame them if you want to leave. This place is DEFINITELY not for everyone, yet it has something for everyone. We have more to do in Miami Beach than any other city that I've lived in (Orlando/W. Palm/Philly). Its heaven for those with active lifestyles like myself who love to play any sport (racquetball, volleyball, tennis, basketball, etc.) Its madness for those that want to pull into a garage, draw the shades, and wash away your day with television and sleep in peace for 9 hours. You need to adapt to your surroundings, erase what you are used to about suburbia life, and soak up all this city has to offer everyone.

Whether or not you think you might like it, might hate it, or are unsure, I highly recommend everyone to try living in Miami beach once in their life before forming their opinion and/or buying a house with a white picket fence in Suburbia land.

Hi Sobespace! Thank you for your input and following up on your experiences here.

Have you actually ever lived on the mainland though?

City of Miami proper is a small section of the whole county. When people tell me they want to move to Miami, I say which Miami? There are so many diverse pockets of neighborhoods here. I think when speaking of Miami, we really are referring to all of Miami-Dade County.

I live in South Miami now after living on the beach for nearly 15 years. Like most South Beach residents, I enjoy all the conveniences of not having to drive anywhere for shopping and entertainment here in close proximity to the metrorail. I find it cleaner, quieter, greener, more civilized and way less congested than South Beach, but it's still hip and cool.The only thing that's missing is the beach but we do have the gorgeous bay front natural areas, which you won't find anywhere on the barrier island.

It's all six of one, half dozen of another though. The best place to live is the one that gives you as much of everything you need. I personally would never choose to live on the beach again, unless it was a really cushy situation.

I can relate to a lot of what you said in there, sobespace! Miami is kind of like a prodigal son, wayward, but you come to love it without ever wholeheartedly trusting it.

any city is only as good as the ppl u surround urself im finding. MB is a beautiful place and if u came with family and friends it would be ideal. its soo much fun BUT if u came solo its not quite as much fun as i thought it would be. the only thing i hate about mb is being able to meet ppl who arent tourists and the ones that arent are usually gone within 6 mths as they are seasonal workers or ppl on work visas. ive been here 9mths n reckon i will give it another 12-15 to make things workout for the betta b4 i try somewhere like NYC

Bob, I know a lot of people who aren't transients. You need to reach outside of the beach for a more solid social life. I'll PM you next time something good comes up where you can meet new people.

I know that Christy felt like Bob when she got here, as in only meeting tourists and so on. I encouraged her to move to SoFi and away from Lincoln Road and she found that area a lot more fun and easy to meet locals.If you work alone or from home it is much harder to meet other locals.

Bob, you should have come to our meet up in Key Biscayne! Next time we have one, come by and hang out with us, we're an ok bunch really

Default Re: Miami or Miami Beach: Which would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I know that Christy felt like Bob when she got here, as in only meeting tourists and so on. I encouraged her to move to SoFi and away from Lincoln Road and she found that area a lot more fun and easy to meet locals.If you work alone or from home it is much harder to meet other locals.

Bob, you should have come to our meet up in Key Biscayne! Next time we have one, come by and hang out with us, we're an ok bunch really
    i was supposed to but i sold my jetski to a bloke in nyc and it was supposed to get picked up the fri nyt b4 but got delayed n they ended up wanting to pick it up sat lunch tym instead.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345