Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default "Downtown Miami" vs. "Brickell"...HELP

Hi All...first off...I want to thank EVERYONE for their unbelievable responses to my various inquiries to one day move down to Miami! It is very helpful!

With that said...I am trying to understand where is the best place to be if I don't want to live in South Beach (meaning I would like in Brickell or Downtown). So...my question is "downtown" also known as "brickell"??? I get this confused...i hear "downtown" is the financial district and it is dead after 5 pm when everyone gets out of work. Brickell however is more social and not "dead" after work...is this true? I have looked apts up on craigslist and I think sharing with someone in the beginning would be ideal to just get "plugged" into Miami and have someone I already know to help me out...one nice apt i see is located at 888 Biscayne Blvd...so the question i have that started this thread is when i map it is is literally across from American Airlines arena and right over the bridge that goes into south beach...is this a good area to live? Also...is this considered "downtown" where it is dead at night? This other kid i know lives at 500 Brickell Ave...is this a better area to live (meaning it is more in "brickell" from what I gather?" . Thanks in advance for sorting this out for me because the last thing i need is to pick a "dead" spot to live and be harder to make new friends!

The only thing that separates downtown from Brickell is the Miami River. Personally, I consider Brickell part of the downtown area because it is still connected via Metrorail and Metromover and you can easily walk to either side by crossing a bridge.

Brickell is definitely more residential and has more nightlife and would be my preference if I had to choose between the two.

Downtown has a few new condos, but I don't think there are many people living there now. And nightlife in downtown is pretty much limited to the 24-hour liquor license club district and/or Bayside Marketplace, which is very touristy.

Brickell, on the other hand, has many more condos that have been there for decades, so it has established itself as a residential community.

And lately, there are many more bars and restaurants popping up in that area, so there is much to do at night.

New User

Default Re: "Downtown Miami" vs. "Brickell"...HELP

Thanks for your response. So the first location 888 Biscayne Blvd is technically located "downtown"? I guess that wouldn't be good for me if I am looking for more of a social scene...which from what i hear is Brickell.

Yes, that's downtown, but it's right across from the Metromover, that can take you to the Brickell area in minutes.