Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Metered Parking Rate Hike in South Beach after October 1

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    When I lived on the Beach (at Michigan and 7th), I would never think about parking at a meter on Collins or Washington. I would just walk. My only expense was the cost of the residential parking permit.

Instead of spending thousands of dollars on flashy projects, the money would be better spent on some kind of public monorail type transit that connected with the Metro and/or Tri-Rail! They also need to create metro transportation from the airport to South Beach. It would help abate the parking crisis on the Beach, which would help local businesses bring in more customers.
    That was the original plan of the Metrorail. To extend it all the way to the beach. But beach residents and politicians said they didn't want it and raised all kinds of hell, so we're stuck with a Metrorail that goes nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rtoledo71 View Post
    Even 5 hours is only $7.50. Again, I don't see the big deal. Seems like a bargain to me. I'd kill to pay for that kind of parking in Boston.

Also, you're going to be paying $20 for your drinks anyways.
    No Boston salaries here, though! :-)

And not everyone is paying $20 for drinks. What of the average family that wants to spend a day at the beach? I find it INSANE that it costs $18 flat rate to park at South Pointe Park on the weekends. It's a PUBLIC park that was designed for everyone's enjoyment. That lot doesn't even service any clubs. The only restaurant that's there is Smith & Wollensky and they charge a $9 valet ... valet is cheaper than municipal there!

I was there on a Sunday night not long ago. The lot was empty and they were still trying to charge $18, so I opted for valet.

A ferry service (or water taxi) would be great too ...

By the way, don't even get me started on taxi scams in South Beach. That's another reason why people take their cars to go out at night, even though that's ill-advised obviously if you are drinking.

Yes, the valet is a cool little parking secret I discovered a while back. I gladly pay it when I have to go to that area and don't have time to drive around to find parking or go to my other free location a few blocks down that we know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    No Boston salaries here, though! :-)

And not everyone is paying $20 for drinks. What of the average family that wants to spend a day at the beach? I find it INSANE that it costs $18 flat rate to park at South Pointe Park on the weekends. It's a PUBLIC park that was designed for everyone's enjoyment. That lot doesn't even service any clubs. The only restaurant that's there is Smith & Wollensky and they charge a $9 valet ... valet is cheaper than municipal there!

I was there on a Sunday night not long ago. The lot was empty and they were still trying to charge $18, so I opted for valet.
    My salary is higher here than it was in Boston.

Maria, the family outing is different. We were discussing the fact of having to park here after hours (midnight and later), hence the $20 per drink comment. If you're here during the day, which from what I understand is easier to find parking than at night, then it's still no big deal if all you're doing is paying for parking. Even at a $1.50 an hour, if you stay for 10 hours, it's still only $15.00. I still think that's a bargain.

Oh, thanks for the valet tip. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I agree that there should be other options to get to and from SB safely so that drunk driving doesn't become an option. Not that such an option will eliminate drunk driving, but it'll help some.

Toledo ... congrats on the salary hike!

Carlos ... I've never tried it, but does Smith & Wollensky care if you valet but don't patronize Smith & Wollensky? I usually park there because I'm going there. Just wondering if they ever say anything if you park there and then walk the other direction.

And speaking of options, they are building a tunnel under government cut but they can't dream of building an above ground rail to South Beach. South Beach residents don't want riff-raff to come and I think there were some environmental concerns too. But the fact that there isn't even a water ferry seems ridiculous to me. Fort Lauderdale has a fabulous water taxi system for locals and visitors. It doesn't cater to a club crowd but you can totally get around all day for less than $20 and never worry about driving or parking.

Toledo - I understand the night time parking thing. South Pointe Park charges that all day though ... the last few times I've gone there on the weekends there is a parking attendant. In short, if I want to go to the beach or enjoy the park for a couple of hours, I still have to pay $18. That seems a bit much and actually makes the meter at $1.50/hour seem like a bargain. The problem is, you don't even get the meter option.

For this reason, just to avoid the hassle, I will opt for anything north of 23rd street.

During the workday week, provided it's not a holiday, parking is much easier and even free in some residential zones during the day.

Toledo ... congrats on the salary hike!

Carlos ... I've never tried it, but does Smith & Wollensky care if you valet but don't patronize Smith & Wollensky? I usually park there because I'm going there. Just wondering if they ever say anything if you park there and then walk the other direction.

And speaking of options, they are building a tunnel under government cut but they can't dream of building an above ground rail to South Beach. South Beach residents don't want riff-raff to come and I think there were some environmental concerns too. But the fact that there isn't even a water ferry seems ridiculous to me. Fort Lauderdale has a fabulous water taxi system for locals and visitors. It doesn't cater to a club crowd but you can totally get around all day for less than $20 and never worry about driving or parking.
    The two or three times I've done it, I just walk through the restaurant and out the back and go on my way.

oh the airport bus is $2.35? my mistake. Wow they couldnt even round it down to the quarter huh? lol.

jess - at the publix at 5th and alton in the sock section they have this cute little thing of like super fold up ballet slipper shoe things that are marketed for when u just can't deal with your heels anymore. I dont wear heels but if I did I would totally get those. They look like a life saver

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonSoBe View Post
    yup ^ the airport flyer. I think its $2.25

exactly! i have the scooter for errands and if i want to drink I walk / and / or take the sobe local bus. when you live in sobe there is no excuse to drink and drive because you can walk or hop a 25 cent bus to the clubs/bars
    Does this bus run all night, every day? Makes it really easy to get to places. Also, how long is its route?

The local bus doesn't run all night. Monday - Saturday until 1:20 AM and until 1:00 AM on Sundays. It does a loop around South Beach but does not travel to points north. More info here: Visitors Portal @ City of Miami Beach

rk

This link has one of the better and more uptodate maps of the local bus route:

http://www.southbeach-usa.com/maps/s...-local-map.htm

the airport bus runs every half hr from about 6am to 11pm and its about a 40 min trip from airport to south beach Miami-Dade County - Transit - Route Details is the schedule

great map rk the local bus runs 7:40am to around 1 am but on sundays it doesnt start running to 10am. it comes about every 20 min. it used to come ever 12 or so but they changed it. It makes it very easy to get everywhere in south beach. however they do tend to pack the hell out of the bus and its gets very annoying when you are practicly licking the windshild and getting run over by walkers and those lil shopping cart caddys people bring on the bus (hence the reason i ended up getting a scooter) but all in all it is the cheapest, way to get anywhere in south beach (23rd street and south) The whole loop takes about 40 min. Always look at the bus sign because some of the signs have 2 different places/directions that the sobe bus goes so if u see 2 pink listings on a bus sign u have to confirm with the bus driver if he is going where you are going

The local bus doesn't run all night. Monday - Saturday until 1:20 AM and until 1:00 AM on Sundays. It does a loop around South Beach but does not travel to points north. More info here: Visitors Portal @ City of Miami Beach
    Thanks Maria, I'll check it out.

New User

Toledo - I understand the night time parking thing. South Pointe Park charges that all day though ... the last few times I've gone there on the weekends there is a parking attendant. In short, if I want to go to the beach or enjoy the park for a couple of hours, I still have to pay $18. That seems a bit much and actually makes the meter at $1.50/hour seem like a bargain. The problem is, you don't even get the meter option.

For this reason, just to avoid the hassle, I will opt for anything north of 23rd street.

During the workday week, provided it's not a holiday, parking is much easier and even free in some residential zones during the day.
    Hi Maria
    Where are these residential zones located where i can park for free? I plan to go next tuesday.
    Thank you so much!

In South Beach, the residential zones are 4 blocks west of the beach. From the Ocean west it goes: Ocean Drive, then Washington Ave, then Drexel Ave (north of 12th st) or pensylvania ave (south of 12th st.), as soon as you cross over this you will see signs for residential parking, play close attention to them, most say its only in effect M-F from 7am ish until 6pm ish, but some say at all times. When I go to South Pointe Park at the very southern tip of South Beach I like to park on the corner of Washington and commerce street in this little gravel residential parking area :P Tip: if you own or rent a scooter, you can park in any residential zone any time of day 7 says a week for free. :P Have fun

New User

In South Beach, the residential zones are 4 blocks west of the beach. From the Ocean west it goes: Ocean Drive, then Washington Ave, then Drexel Ave (north of 12th st) or pensylvania ave (south of 12th st.), as soon as you cross over this you will see signs for residential parking, play close attention to them, most say its only in effect M-F from 7am ish until 6pm ish, but some say at all times. When I go to South Pointe Park at the very southern tip of South Beach I like to park on the corner of Washington and commerce street in this little gravel residential parking area :P Tip: if you own or rent a scooter, you can park in any residential zone any time of day 7 says a week for free. :P Have fun
    thanks, im a tourist so if i follow your directions above i will be able to park for free. No need to display anything on the dashboard? i was reading this site http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/parking/....aspx?id=30990
    and apparently is for miami beach residents only who applied for a permit to park there. so im kinda of confused now...
    btw which restaurants (seafood or steak) would you recommend in south beach (classic and romantic) opposite to mango's style? thank you

New User

Prime 112 is amazing but its $$$$ just to warn you :p honestly its the only one ive been to for steak, so if anyone else has suggestions lets hear em

http://www.yelp.com/biz/prime-one-twelve-miami-beach
    thanks!
    what about the parking situation. I plan to go on a tuesday between 10 am and 5pm...
    i was reading this site http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/parking/....aspx?id=30990
    and apparently is for miami beach residents who applied for a permit to park there. so im kinda of confused now.

Yes, that is correct. It does get a little confusing but this is how it works. Most signs look like this for the residential parking: It may have any number on it depending on the zone its in. Zone 2 covers most of South Beach.

Name:  parking1.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  20.9 KBWhat this sign means is it is residential parking only ( u must have a tag or a guest pass) between 6pm and 7am Monday-Friday and all day (24 hrs) on saturday, sunday and holidays, otherwise you will get towed, however usually fined. So, if it is not a holiday, sat or sunday and it is not during the hours of 6pm and 7am, anyone can park in this zone. Be sure to watch the markings on the curb, u have to be not parking in front of the curb painted yellow that is at most corners. So MOST of the signs look like this but a few say:

residential parking only 24 / 7, so watch out for those. you can't park there :p( i snagged this image off of google earth since I know there is a sign like it near my gym at 24th street) :p

now this one here makes no sense to me cuz it says sun-friday, when it should say mon-friday since sun/sat/holiday is 24/7 residents only, if i saw this sign and wasnt a resident id def just not chance parking there on a sunday :p
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ShannonSoBe; 07-27-2011 at 11:21 PM.

New User

great job! txh!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast